GPU Core Clock drops randomly MSI GE62MVR

Good day to everyone. So I noticed recently that my GPU clock is droping from 1600mhz to about 100mhz. With huge FPS drop. It happens really randomly. Temps are staying at 74C, after droping nothing changes excpet core clock. Is it software related or might be hardware problem? No overclocking done, power in windows is set to max power, same in nvidia control panel.

Laptop specs:

GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1070
CPU: i7 7700HQ

RAM: 16GB

Edit: Closer inspection of the problem showed that atleast now cpu is throttling. In Aida64 stress test, when stressing only CPU, everything runs fine, max 85 degrees. But when I stress both, GPU and CPU, then CPU reaches max allowed temps at 95C and starts throttling down. I didn't have to run it long before it started to throttle to about 50%. Even with "Cooler Boost" on. 

Assume you're plugged in. Is battery charged? I've seen on mine the laptop seems to do CPU limiting if battery is low even when plugged in, and it might do similar for GPU too. Even if so, going down to 100 MHz seems excessive. Can you run GPU-z and see what it reports as limiting factor at the time?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

16 minutes ago, porina said:

Assume you're plugged in. Is battery charged? I've seen on mine the laptop seems to do CPU limiting if battery is low even when plugged in, and it might do similar for GPU too. Even if so, going down to 100 MHz seems excessive. Can you run GPU-z and see what it reports as limiting factor at the time?

I will try get results ASAP, well, maybe i remember it wrongly, but its definetly no more than 200 mhz. I am pluged in, usually charged. I rarely unplug my laptop when I am at home. Only for the night when I know I won't need it anymore. 

So I managed to capture the drop of core clock.

hIyYdH3.gif

That dip seems to correspond to power limiting... suppose next question is why. Are we looking at gaming loads? Is there a particular thing that more often triggers it?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, porina said:

That dip seems to correspond to power limiting... suppose next question is why. Are we looking at gaming loads? Is there a particular thing that more often triggers it?

Yes it does happen while gaming, this was recorded while playing overwatch. And I am not sure about what triggers it. Sometimes it does happen when alot of action occurs. But there is times when it actually happens with no action at all. It feels random. What could affect these power limits?

Power limiting is supposed to do what it says. If the GPU takes more than a certain power, back off to keep it under. It is usually a soft drop off though, not flat out or stop. Also it seems laptops like MSI (I have a GE62 6QF) use the battery to give a bit more power boost. If battery is low, it throttles the speed back a bit. Even if not overclocked, I also wonder if somehow the clock tables got messed up somehow. Tried clean re-installing the driver?

11 minutes ago, porina said:

Power limiting is supposed to do what it says. If the GPU takes more than a certain power, back off to keep it under. It is usually a soft drop off though, not flat out or stop. Also it seems laptops like MSI (I have a GE62 6QF) use the battery to give a bit more power boost. If battery is low, it throttles the speed back a bit. Even if not overclocked, I also wonder if somehow the clock tables got messed up somehow. Tried clean re-installing the driver?

nvidia drivers? I did actually. Maybe this could be affected by Prefer max power setting in nvidia controls? Also, I could have tinkered with something in settings as this is brand new laptop. I am thinking of doing PC reset, and just install everything from scratch. As there is still lots of bloatware which I am not sure if I should keep. 

I personally didn't find most of the extra software to be that useful... I found it enough to uninstall the bits I didn't want. Maybe try that before you nuke it.

12 minutes ago, porina said:

I personally didn't find most of the extra software to be that useful... I found it enough to uninstall the bits I didn't want. Maybe try that before you nuke it.

Thanks for your help. Atleast I know problem of it. I will be testing it out on other games also. Really appreciate your help.

Update where I am at. So none of the settings worked for me, so I decided to "Nuke" my pc. Well that didn't go so well either. Two times I tryed reseting none of them worked as they should have. First time ended up with laggy half working windows and second time it failed to boot at all. None of the reset options work now. Neither windows reset nor the MSI's reset. Going to install my own downloaded copy of windows. If that fails then warranty it is...

12 hours ago, nJoy. said:

Update where I am at. So none of the settings worked for me, so I decided to "Nuke" my pc. Well that didn't go so well either. Two times I tryed reseting none of them worked as they should have. First time ended up with laggy half working windows and second time it failed to boot at all. None of the reset options work now. Neither windows reset nor the MSI's reset. Going to install my own downloaded copy of windows. If that fails then warranty it is...

just go on MSI afterburner and build a custom voltage to clock speed graph.

and undervolt the CPU. The throttle temp might be 75C for you and its aggressively downclocking to hit that. get throttlestop and disable bd prot and see if that helps. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

11 hours ago, Pendragon said:

just go on MSI afterburner and build a custom voltage to clock speed graph.

and undervolt the CPU. The throttle temp might be 75C for you and its aggressively downclocking to hit that. get throttlestop and disable bd prot and see if that helps. 

Its GPU that throttles, im GPU-Z it says that max temp is set to 91C not sure if its says correctly. This is my first gaming laptop, so I am not sure what temps are normal and which are too high. I did clean windows install, as MSI's recovery wasn' t working (hope that isnt warranty void lol). Got every driver installed thats needed and will get back to testing.

Alright, update to you guys. It seems clean windows install did fix the issue. Atleast for now, I did play quite some time without issues. And GPU does a good job. Thanks for your help! 

So actually I speeked too soon. Today while playing it happened again. Only diffrence is that drop was to about 1000mhz. Not to 100... I was getting this in overwatch. Was playing Left 4 Dead 2, it wasn't happening there, although its not that demanding like overwatch (I think so). Currently I am downloading Witcher 3 to test it there. Could this be just  because some issue with the game? Or maybe this happens because of "Optimus" system? It looks like it just drops to idle. I am really lost right now.

4 hours ago, nJoy. said:

So actually I speeked too soon. Today while playing it happened again. Only diffrence is that drop was to about 1000mhz. Not to 100... I was getting this in overwatch. Was playing Left 4 Dead 2, it wasn't happening there, although its not that demanding like overwatch (I think so). Currently I am downloading Witcher 3 to test it there. Could this be just  because some issue with the game? Or maybe this happens because of "Optimus" system? It looks like it just drops to idle. I am really lost right now.

Try disabling the integrated graphics if you believe it is a problem with optimus, it could also be a driver issue like I've been seeing on maxwell mobile lately.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

Undervolt both the CPU and GPU. 

Sounds like it's hitting a power draw limit. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

17 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Undervolt both the CPU and GPU. 

Sounds like it's hitting a power draw limit. 

I tryed that it's same thing, same clock drops. Sometimes worse. I was playing a Witcher 3 it seems I haven't got any lags. Everything was smooth. Steady clock speeds and steady FPS. Also maxed out. So it might be just a game. Will try to make sure of it. It seems weird that GTX 1060 on my older PC with i7-2600k without overclocks could play it without any freezes or lags and this laptop does these things. Thanks for your help. If anything comes to your mind feel free to share. I am open to all of suggestions.

2 hours ago, nJoy. said:

I tryed that it's same thing, same clock drops. Sometimes worse. I was playing a Witcher 3 it seems I haven't got any lags. Everything was smooth. Steady clock speeds and steady FPS. Also maxed out. So it might be just a game. Will try to make sure of it. It seems weird that GTX 1060 on my older PC with i7-2600k without overclocks could play it without any freezes or lags and this laptop does these things. Thanks for your help. If anything comes to your mind feel free to share. I am open to all of suggestions.

Did you try running Throttlestop to disable BD_PROCHOT protocol? That's what I had to do with my MSI laptop to stop throttling like this.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

3 hours ago, ApolloX75 said:

Did you try running Throttlestop to disable BD_PROCHOT protocol? That's what I had to do with my MSI laptop to stop throttling like this.

I will take a look at this program after work, see where it gets me.

Okay. So I know what is responsible for these drops. Its Overwatch. No other game I played did these drops. Only in Overwatch. I did find a lot of topics in their forums about this problem, lots of other players are having these issues. But you guys did help me a lot. Thanks for your time and patience.

Edit: If anyone else get this problem, probably might solve in any game. Try disabling Game DVR in windows. This is what solved mine.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 12:38 PM, nJoy. said:

Okay. So I know what is responsible for these drops. Its Overwatch. No other game I played did these drops. Only in Overwatch. I did find a lot of topics in their forums about this problem, lots of other players are having these issues. But you guys did help me a lot. Thanks for your time and patience.

Edit: If anyone else get this problem, probably might solve in any game. Try disabling Game DVR in windows. This is what solved mine.

Okay, so I was wrong. I just thought what it was. Actually it's thermal throttling. In CPU intensive games, like PUBG even in Overwatch, The Division my CPU throttles, causing these drops. Not sure if this laptop should do this. Thinking about bringing it to dealer for fixing it.

31 minutes ago, nJoy. said:

thermal throttling

How hot is it?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

How hot is it?

CPU gets to 95C, then begins throttling down. In Aida64 it gets to 50% throttling. When stress testing CPU alone it gets to about 85C and doesn't throttle. It feels a lot in CPU intensive games.

7 hours ago, nJoy. said:

CPU gets to 95C

Have you tried undervolting and repaste?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128