Advice on good quality scanner with a budget that doesn't kill my bank account :|

MzCatieB

Title says it all, im looking at getting a scanner for artwork and future projects as well as work.

My budget is massive but depending on quality i will stretch it accordingly.

Size can be a4/a3 capable is ok.

Post the make and model bellow please.

Character artist in the Games industry.

Note... 2d Scanners not 3D scanner... i do want a 3d scanner but not yet :|

Do you need an included print setup? Is this for professional usage? What medium are you going to be scanning? Paint? Metals? Fabric? What dpi do you consider is acceptable quality?

Do you need an included print setup? Is this for professional usage? What medium are you going to be scanning? Paint? Metals? Fabric? What dpi do you consider is acceptable quality?

The plan is for just image scanning of sketches, i would like a printer but the scanner is the more important thing.

I think about 300dpi would be ok

Well 300dpi is a standard that is supported well within consumer level scanners, so really the only thing you'll need to go after is a flatbed scanner with a large enough scan bed, and grab the one with the best colour depth and densiometry at your price points. If you read into it enough you may come across the terms CIS and CCD, and basically this refers to the systems used to expose and capture the image. CIS use photodiode arrays whereas CCD use optics and sensors (much more like a camera). They're relatively similar in results, however CCD technology extends further into the professional range of scanners so it's probably better to aim for CCD. I'm not so knowledgeable on the actual models of scanners, but Brother scanners have always seemed good for the price.

@Tomislav Matic is a huge print nerd, I bet he can tell you more.

What about the Epson Perfection V370, its within my price range and the features make it feel appealing

I think Epson are a very well regarded brand, especially in terms of consistency of unit function and driver function. Scanners are built of large sensor arrays, glass panels and all sorts of other fun stuff that can easily break in shipping, and have unusually high RMA rates compared with other tech, however brands like Epson, Canon and Brother seem to build their devices more robustly, and actually know how to package for shipping. The V370 however wont support large formats, so it hardly suits the needs you specified. If you can survive the drop in colour depth (which I can almost guarantee your monitor/graphics card doesn't support anyway), Epson's WF 7520 might be a better option, and looks like a more compelling value because of the support for large format papers, inclusion of a printer and fax, etc.

I think Epson are a very well regarded brand, especially in terms of consistency of unit function and driver function. Scanners are built of large sensor arrays, glass panels and all sorts of other fun stuff that can easily break in shipping, and have unusually high RMA rates compared with other tech, however brands like Epson, Canon and Brother seem to build their devices more robustly, and actually know how to package for shipping. The V370 however wont support large formats, so it hardly suits the needs you specified. If you can survive the drop in colour depth (which I can almost guarantee your monitor/graphics card doesn't support anyway), Epson's WF 7520 might be a better option, and looks like a more compelling value because of the support for large format papers, inclusion of a printer and fax, etc.

Well i was reading online that the V370 has a feature that lets you scan in larger images all separately and the software just joins everything together.

Also i am doing a massive upgrade an overhaul in the new year, Will be getting a few BenQ gamin monitors and a Wacom Companion 512gb.

But overall A4 is good enough because i carry around a sketch book, i only liked the option for A3 but it isnt essential

Yeah image stitching has been around on scanners for a while. It's a bit dodgy, but it does work. It's no substitute for a larger scan bed, however if you're convinced this is the best solution for you then it is the best solution for you. You know your situation better than anyone else after all! Hope it serves you well man!

Well 300dpi is a standard that is supported well within consumer level scanners, so really the only thing you'll need to go after is a flatbed scanner with a large enough scan bed, and grab the one with the best colour depth and densiometry at your price points. If you read into it enough you may come across the terms CIS and CCD, and basically this refers to the systems used to expose and capture the image. CIS use photodiode arrays whereas CCD use optics and sensors (much more like a camera). They're relatively similar in results, however CCD technology extends further into the professional range of scanners so it's probably better to aim for CCD. I'm not so knowledgeable on the actual models of scanners, but Brother scanners have always seemed good for the price.

@Tomislav Matic is a huge print nerd, I bet he can tell you more.

Not only that I'm a print nerd but a professional graphic designer, and also a comic book artist. :D (and thanks for the compliment). Since I've done a ton of scanning myself I can honestly give you this advice. The answer is: any decent scanner will do. You don't need a lot of option, actually. A3 scanners are kinda nice, but stitching pictures in photoshop will do... I myself have been using a HP all in one device for ages it has served me well... I wouldn't spend money on that. If you can get a scaner with Adobe RBG color space that would be awesome ( if you are planing to scan color images). Use post processing on your image. I see you mentioned Wacom's companion...I've been a wacom fanboy forever...this is an awesoem machine if you can get the windows one do it. Also don't buy gaming monitors. Buy a decent Dell (ultrasharp series- 2410- or at least 2412M) or go for the "creme de la crop" EIZO or  LaCie. And a Calibration device (like Spydercolor pro 4- PS ). These are expensive, but if you have a good budget to spend, save on the scanner spend it on a monitor that will show you the same colors you'll get in print. It would be a shame to put in a ton of work in art/design just to see it looking like crap in print. Trust me on this, you'll than me later :D

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."