Custom 3D printed Fallout Nuke Case.

Lynxman

After watching the LTT nuke video I wanted to make my own custom case. I designed it for 3D printing and with room for an ITX board and a mini GPU and SFX PSU. I have only test fitted a non working motherboard and a GTX 1060 6GB and it fits. There's room for a 120 mm fan in the bottom and in the top, but 90° HDMi cable bends are required to clear the fan in the top. As well as the two fans pushing air through the whole case I placed the PSU next to the CPU to such some air from the CPU heatsink. I hope it runs cool enough like this. For overclocking I think it would be a good idea to place the PSU outside the case and run the cables inthe back, and install a big heatsink on the CPU. The case fans should provide plenty of airflow through the CPU heatsink.

I liked the color scheme Luke chose so I went with the same red band. 

DSCN1524[1].jpg

DSCN1522[1].jpg

Nuke02.jpg

Nuke01.jpg

Noice. Looks good.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Looks pretty cool, good job.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

Thanks. It needs a flat clear coat, but I have to wait until it stops snowing. :)

I'll post more pics when I install the components.

The components are:
ASRock Z270M-ITX
i3-7350K

MSI Aero ITX GTX 1060 6GB
8GB DDR4 2133

M.2 256GB SATA SSD
Chieftec 450 W SFX PSU, or Corsair SF450

A shot of the rear. It will have a fully accessible IO shield. The three slots in the top are for HDMI/DP-cables. The one slot in the bottom next to the IO opening is for the power cable to the PSU.

The white brackets next to the bomb are the internal mounting brackets for the SFX PSU.

DSCN1526[1].jpg

The paint job and weathering are really well done. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Here's a shot of how the motherboard fits. It's a perfect fit in the slots in the bottom. I have a home made heatsink that I will try, but a Noctua NH-L9i will fit as well. Also a close up of the top.

I need a longer PCIE extension than the one I had so I'll have to wait until it arrives before I can install the GPU. I hope it will fit without trouble. It will be a pretty capable gaming PC with the i3 7350k and GTX 1060 6GB. 

the M.2 ssd I bought used refuses to initialize for some reason even though it's recognized in both BIOS and windows, so I ordered a new drive last night. 

DSCN1529[1].jpg

DSCN1528[1].jpg

Still waiting for the new SSD  and PCIE extension to arrive. I hope I get it before christmas. I'd like to upload the design to Cults3D for others to buy and print as soon as possible. I did receive a Cooler Master Sickle Flow 120 fan with green LEDs that glow out of the bottom air inlet (not the one pictured above). It's pretty powerful so I think it will do the job of cooling the system.

It works. I used a 350 mm long PCIE extension. Very high quality cable. I folded the cable so that it would route around the GPU and under the motherboard to reach the PCIE slot. Then I hot glued the cable folds and glued the cable to the bottom of the Nuke. The aluminum tape is just there to maybe spread/reflect the heat radiation and provide a minimum of shielding.

DSCN1542.JPG

DSCN1543.JPG

DSCN1544.JPG

Once the GPU was installed (GTX 1060 6GB) I taped a thin sheet of fiberglass to the back of it to prevent shorts against the motherboard should it get bumped or something. DSCN1545.JPG

DSCN1546.JPG

The motherboard fit neatly in place, and there's no room to spare behind the motherboard. I did not use the heatsink screws provided by Noctua as they protruded way too much out on the back. Instead I used some countersunk M3 screws which fit perfectly.DSCN1547.JPG

The top down view shows how there's room for an SFX power supply. A HDPlex PSU would probably be perfect.DSCN1548.JPG

It's alive!
The reason the atomic symbols are two different is because I'm using an external PSU at the moment. The red/yellow symbol is the parts I made for external PSU. I haven't received my SFX PSU yet.
DSCN1549.JPG

It's looping the Heaven demo now to check GPU temps. 83°C after a couple of loops. It still boosts itself to 1949 MHz core speed so all is well.

DSCN1552[1].jpg

I addition to running the PCI cable below the motherboard, I have also revsed the design to allow the PCIE cable to run directly around the side of the motherboard for shorter cables. This should let the GPU run cooler too as the cable won't block the airflow from the bottom case fan. CPU cooling will be blocked slightly though, but I doubt that's a problem.

BTW. Up to 92°C now on the GPU.

NAISU NAISU CEASER CHAN

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I received a SFX PSU now actually, so I installed it. There's only about 3-4 mm clearance between the PSU and the cpu fan, but the cPU still only rose to 93°C under the most intense Prime95 test, so that's good. I'm running Heaven and Prime95 at the same time now. It's working great so far. :) The PSU takes up most of the free space, so it might actaully help with cooling the GPU since more air will be directed behind the motherboard... hopefully.

I ordered an even lower profile Silverstone CPU cooler, but it might not be necessary.

Here it is. 

It eventually reached 100°C CPU and  91°C GPU with Prime95 and Heaven running simultaneously. :)

IMG_20171218_212435599_HDR.jpg

@Slickyou will probably enjoy this

also... damn this is sick

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Thanks. It was an interesting project. I would like to make something else with room for a PC inside now.

Maybe I should design a case that looks like the Apollo 11 command/service module.

I got a Thermaltek 300 mm PCIE extension today and installed the computer with the cable around the side instead of under. GPU temps now max out at 82°C. That's about 10° drop from runing the cable under the motherboard. It's very hot in the room, 26°C, so that that into account.

I also received a lower profile CPU cooler which I will try next. The Noctua has only a few mm of space between the fan and the back of the PSU, and the CPU reaches 100°C after extended Prime95 running.

My printer just finished printing the last piece of my second Nuke, with the updated parts, same as I posted on the Cults page. I'll paint them once it stops snowing. :)

Here's a shot showing the PCIE cable coming around the side of the motherboard. I also replaced the noctua cooler with a Silverstone cooler. The CPU now reaches a peak of 96°C in Prime95, which is acceptable for such a load in this for factor. The ideal cooler for this case is probably a Thermolab ITX30. If a Pico PSU is used instead then a larger CPU cooler can be used of course.

I wanted to install the 250 W PSU instead of the 450W one in there now, but the 250 W PSU doesn't have a PCIE power cable and I didn't want to solder any now. It should be enough though as the combined load of Prime95 and Heaven demo pulls 200 W from the wall socket.

DSCN1555[1].jpg

Here's both next to each other. 

Earlier today I laid the finished one on its side to look under it, and it looked awesome sitting there, so I'm going to design  a cradle for it to have it sitting on its side as an option.

IMG_20171222_024302192.jpg

Here's a trick for improving fan efficiency. I have done this with two fans in different applicatins now, and the gains are pretty significant. By reducing the gap between the fan blades and the fan housing I rediced the load temperature of the GPU in the Nuke by 4°C. I did the same on a CPU cooler in my other rig and it lowered the temp by 2,7°C.

DSCN1562[1].jpg

DSCN1563[1].jpg