I7-860 VS Intel Pentium G4560

Does anyone know wich processer would be better of an i7-860 (first gen i7) OR Intel-Pentium G4560. Usebenchmark says the g4560 is better but i dont understand since the g4560 onLy has 2 cores.

i am kinda new to the PC scene,so does the age of the processer regardless of its listed power degrade over time?

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

The 860 has twice as many cores, but each core is about 50% slower. So it depends on the specific use case. For gaming, a G4560 is better. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, Fruitsnacc said:

i am kinda new to the PC scene,so does the age of the processer regardless of its listed power degrade over time?

It is not that the i7 860 decreased in power over time, it has the very same performance it always had, things just get better over time, the G4560 is a lot newer with a better lithography and every thing so even if it has less cores it has better and faster cores.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It is not that the i7 860 decreased in power over time, it has the very same performance it always had, things just get better over time, the G4560 is a lot newer with a better lithography and every thing so even if it has less cores it has better and faster cores.

Can you explain what you mean. How does it work like that

3 minutes ago, Fruitsnacc said:

The overall design of the Pentium is better than i7-860.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The pentium will win at stock speeds but the i7 will do better if you OC it to 3.8-4ghz 

currently using an 860 myself, it's pretty good but has no upgrade path

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

The pentium will win at stock speeds but the i7 will do better if you OC it to 3.8-4ghz 

currently using an 860 myself, it's pretty good but has no upgrade path

Can i oc with stock cooler with some brand new thermal compound

Can i oc with stock cooler with some brand new thermal compound

You have a good motherboard, so heat and voltage will be your only limitations. The stock cooler is actually pretty good too, first gen i7 stock coolers were not bad at all.

maybe 3.5-3.7 on stock?

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

You have a good motherboard, so heat and voltage will be your only limitations. The stock cooler is actually pretty good too, first gen i7 stock coolers were not bad at all.

Were those the steampunk towers with an unducted fan?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Were those the steampunk towers with an unducted fan?

Just realized I was thinking about the 1366 stock cooler, 1156 has a really bad oneIMG_0036.JPG.396d01552f963845488f81e22028b606.JPG

1156 -> 1366

16 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Just realized I was thinking about the 1366 stock cooler, 1156 has a really bad one

1156 -> 1366

I'll never be one to defend the Intel stock cooler, but the 1156 i7 CPUs had a TDP of 95W, IIRC, and the 1366 i7s were 130W+. That 1366 stock cooler is a crime...where am I thinking of the steampunk unducted fan tower from?

X58 was the forerunner to the HEDT platform of today. The idea that such a pansy little cooler would be included is kind of depressing.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

24 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Just realized I was thinking about the 1366 stock cooler, 1156 has a really bad one

1156 -> 1366

Found it!

Now I almost want to buy one of those for my 1366 rig...

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Found it!

Now I almost want to buy one of those for my 1366 rig...

That's pretty beast?

@Fruitsnacc you're going to need a better cooler.

Cheap, quiet and good enough to get a decent OC with OK temps, maybe a bit on the high side. (3.7-4ghz)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQRsY/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-351-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk008

$2 more, a bit louder but better thermal performance, could handle high OCs on the warmer end (~4ghz)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rVtCmG/raijintek-cpu-cooler-0p105245

10 bucks more but has fantastic performance, this will keep the CPU chilly even at high overclocks (4ghz+)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6Rfp99/raijintek-cpu-cooler-0p105250

2 hours ago, Fruitsnacc said:

fJr1WNh.png

There is more to look at in a Processor than just its core count... Watch YouTube videos about it like LTT has lots of those video you'll understand how to know the CPU power in no time.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

fJr1WNh.png

There is more to look at in a Processor than just its core count... Watch YouTube videos about it like LTT has lots of those video you'll understand how to know the CPU power in no time.

What nm mean

@Damascus almost forgot this is the cooler

ECE39FEB-49E4-401D-BA6E-C11152A06739.jpeg

25FE71C9-2FE8-45D1-90B2-40D5E4E65C75.jpeg

Just now, Fruitsnacc said:

What nm mean

It is is the Lithography Architecture, result of years and years of research and engeneering to create it and it will be a better more advanced more power efficient and faster as it gets smaller, as you can see when they released the i7 860 Intel was still working on 45nm that is quite huge compared to the way smaller 14nm current gen processor.

These 7~ years apart between these processors saw a huge improvement in the technology as a whole.

Personal Desktop":

What nm mean

Take a look at this helpful video, but to make a more broad statement it's the manufacturing process used to create CPUs/GPUs.  The lower the number the more efficient the CPU will be.

4 minutes ago, Fruitsnacc said:

@Damascus almost forgot this is the cooler

Yeah, get yourself one of the coolers I linked