Ram Guide.! 16GB OR 8GB

What's the required Ram for my build? 4GBx2 (8GB) Memory or 8GBx2 (16GB).? Check the link below. (I would be making use of my PC mostly for gaming and for Maya/Adobe too) 

https://in.pcpartpicker.com/user/chuxk/saved/pKbTHx

1. And what amougest this do I have to choose 2133,2400,3000,3200MHZ. DOESN'T IT REALLY MAKE MUCH OF DIFFERENCE!?

2. Single Rank Memory stick or Dual? (Dual I suppose)

3. What are the best budget DDR4 RAMs.

2 minutes ago, Chuck03 said:

What's the required Ram for my build? 4GBx2 (8GB) Memory or 8GBx2 (16GB).? Check the link below. (I would be making use of my PC mostly for gaming and for Maya/Adobe too) 

1. And what amougest this do I have to choose 2133,2400,3000,3200MHZ. DOESN'T IT REALLY MAKE MUCH OF DIFFERENCE!?

1. Intel or Ryzen?

2. Dual

3. Intel or Ryzen?

CPU/ CPU Cooler: i7-6700K - 4.5GHz with Noctua DH-15S | Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Amp! Edition | Case: Corsair 400C | PSU: FSP Aurum S 650W | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM FHD | Speakers: JBL Pebbles | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

3 minutes ago, Mr.Sir said:

i would say get one stick of 8gb now if you cant afford 16, speed doesnt matter that much i would go with G.skill

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232475

He asked 2x4GB or 2x8GB, not 2x4GB or 1x8GB.

CPU/ CPU Cooler: i7-6700K - 4.5GHz with Noctua DH-15S | Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Amp! Edition | Case: Corsair 400C | PSU: FSP Aurum S 650W | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM FHD | Speakers: JBL Pebbles | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

9 minutes ago, Chuck03 said:

4x4gb is the best kit these days coz 2x dual channel (2x4gb kit x2)

as for mhz, it depends on the cas/mhz ratio,  a 3000cas 14 stick would be better then a 3200cas 16 stick

(◑‿◐)

16 minutes ago, davyre89 said:

1. Intel or Ryzen?

2. Dual

3. Intel or Ryzen?

i would actually suggest single rank... it might not have the slight advantage in bandwith internally but it can be pushed to faster speeds which negates the advantage completely

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

20 minutes ago, davyre89 said:

1. Intel or Ryzen?

2. Dual

3. Intel or Ryzen?

Have forgot to attach the link. Please check now.

25 minutes ago, Chuck03 said:

1.That is the speed of the memory Ryzen cpu gets a benefit from faster memory preferably 3000Mhz or above.

It will increase the performance especially in games

2.Dual

3.Dont. Get a decent or high end memory like G-skill ripjaws or corsair vengeance or dominator.

If u on a tight budget since ram is so expensive these days thanks to smarthphone get the 4x2GB 8GB kit.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

13 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

4x4gb is the best kit these days coz 2x dual channel (2x4gb kit x2)

as for mhz, it depends on the cas/mhz ratio,  a 3000cas 14 stick would be better then a 3200cas 16 stick

But by that wouldn't we completely fill our Ram slots? And it would be a problem in the future let me when you want to upgrade your Ram!?

6 minutes ago, Chuck03 said:

But by that wouldn't we completely fill our Ram slots? And it would be a problem in the future let me when you want to upgrade your Ram!?

yeah it would but as a gamer u wouldnt need more than 16gb anytime soon :P

also 8gb sticks have a higher latency than 4gb sticks, thats why 4x4 is recommended over 2x8 for gaming

Edited by Valkyrie Lenneth

(◑‿◐)

9 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

1.That is the speed of the memory Ryzen cpu gets a benefit from faster memory preferably 3000Mhz or above.

It will increase the performance especially in games

2.Dual

3.Dont. Get a decent or high end memory like G-skill ripjaws or corsair vengeance or dominator.

If u on a tight budget since ram is so expensive these days thanks to smarthphone get the 4x2GB 8GB kit.

*.Cool will do that.  

*.Dual it is.

*.And I had plans for Getting a Corsair vengeance 8x2GB. 2,400MHZ (147$) 

*. Yeah kinda in budget..

Thank you :)

10 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

yeah it would but as a gamer u wouldnt need more than 16gb anytime soon :P

also 8gb sticks have a higher latency than 4gb sticks, thats why 4x4 is recommended over 2x8 for gaming

Okay.. :P

Everyone has there own views I see. 

1.One says single Rank so that it has higher bandwidth and more speed utilisation.

2. One says go dual.

3. And few others suggesting to go quad channel. 

But I personally thing budget wise Dual or signal rank. ?

38 minutes ago, Chuck03 said:

Everyone has there own views I see. 

1.One says single Rank so that it has higher bandwidth and more speed utilisation.

2. One says go dual.

3. And few others suggesting to go quad channel. 

But I personally thing budget wise Dual or signal rank. ?

just to be clear dual rank is not the same as dual channel.

dual channel is how the CPU accesses the ram based on a wiring configuration on the motherboard.

-  you can't do quad channel except on high end desktop so don't worry about it

-  the speed ram is advertised at is the effective DDR speed, while they actually run at half of that. (this doesn't really change anything for you though)

dual rank is the arrangement of flash chips on the stick of ram.

-  this effectively means that each rank can be accessed separately foe some operations negating some of the latencies described by the CAS timings,

but only when it data happens to be on the separate banks and only for some of the operations..

-  dual rank tends to be clocked significantly lower because it's simply less likely to be stable at higher speeds.

it's the same silicon lottery everything else has but there are more variables to account for on dual rank than single rank. SO it's slower....

-  and the last point ends up negating the first one and then even crushing it when you go past 2666MHz.

Ryzen's uncore, which they called infinity fabric, runs at the speed your ram does and this really affects your CPU's performance so you should aim to get a faster kit to pull full benefit from your system. (no point to go past 3200MHz it's unlikely to work and too expensive)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

Do 16 GB unless your budget is just way too tight. 8 gigs is starting to become bare minimum at this point. 16 gigs in dual channel with a 1600 will serve you well for at least a few years.

Most modern AAA titles will use 5-10 GB of RAM alone, and add that to your windows processes, background processes, and perhaps a browser with a few tabs, and you're going to have a bad time on 8 GB. Doing productivity work? 8GB isn't going to give you nearly as good of an experience as 16GB unless you're going to be using some really old school programs from the XP/Vista era.

Before my current build I was on 8 GB and with not a whole lot of background processes, I hit 90% RAM usage without a browser in pretty much any AAA title released in the last couple of years. Chrome would always take a while to open and is a bit sluggish because my RAM would hit 100% once I opened it while in-game.

That being said, you CAN play modern games at high or ultra settings with 8 GB and probably will be able to long enough for you to invest for another 2x4GB kit (a year or two more before 8 GB becomes too little for max settings.) I would still prefer 2x8GB in most scenarios though even with the ridiculous RAM prices right now.

Main Rig: Ryzen 5 1600 (3.8 GHz / 1.32v) -- 16 GB (2x8) G.skill FlareX CL14 3200 -- Nvidia GTX 970 Reference (1475 MHz)

Retired Rig: FX-6300 (4.3 GHz / 1.3v) -- 8 GB (2x4) G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 -- Radeon HD 7770 (1000 MHz)

5 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

just to be clear dual rank is not the same as dual channel.

dual channel is how the CPU accesses the ram based on a wiring configuration on the motherboard.

-  you can't do quad channel except on high end desktop so don't worry about it

-  the speed ram is advertised at is the effective DDR speed, while they actually run at half of that. (this doesn't really change anything for you though)

dual rank is the arrangement of flash chips on the stick of ram.

-  this effectively means that each rank can be accessed separately foe some operations negating some of the latencies described by the CAS timings,

but only when it data happens to be on the separate banks and only for some of the operations..

-  dual rank tends to be clocked significantly lower because it's simply less likely to be stable at higher speeds.

it's the same silicon lottery everything else has but there are more variables to account for on dual rank than single rank. SO it's slower....

-  and the last point ends up negating the first one and then even crushing it when you go past 2666MHz.

Ryzen's uncore, which they called infinity fabric, runs at the speed your ram does and this really affects your CPU's performance so you should aim to get a faster kit to pull full benefit from your system. (no point to go past 3200MHz it's unlikely to work and too expensive)

Thanks a lot was very Helpful... 

7 hours ago, davyre89 said:

He asked 2x4GB or 2x8GB, not 2x4GB or 1x8GB.

:P:P:P 

7 hours ago, davyre89 said:

1. Intel or Ryzen?

2. Dual

3. Intel or Ryzen?

1. Ryzen

2. Okay

3. Ryzen

1. Ram speed makes small difference so far for me in real life. Having 2400mhz vs 3200mhz only small performance gain (+10fps) very unnoticeable.

2. Dual rank or Dual channel? If rank, same performance, any would perform the same. Dual channel will perform a little bit faster.

3. Just get the cheapest stick from reputable brand, they will do fine.

Also please avoid 4gb dimms as will go out of style soon. If you plan to upgrade those sticks will drop in price as nobody want 4gb sticks.

16gb is the sweet spot, but more memory is better for 3D / rendering.

You may want to upgrade to 32gb, so i vote 8x2 or 16x1 and leave the empty slot for future upgrade.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

1. Ram speed makes small difference so far for me in real life. Having 2400mhz vs 3200mhz only small performance gain (+10fps) very unnoticeable.

2. Dual rank or Dual channel? If rank, same performance, any would perform the same. Dual channel will perform a little bit faster.

Also please avoid 4gb dimms as will go out of style soon. If you plan to upgrade those sticks will drop in price as nobody want 4gb sticks.

You may want to upgrade to 32gb, so i vote 8x2 or 16x1 and leave the empty slot for future upgrade.

not on ryzen. and you only need more memory for rendering if you have manually painted textures in your scene and or your scene is huge a couple million polys at least

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Sure. Thanks for your views.! :)

11 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

not on ryzen. and you only need more memory for rendering if you have manually painted textures in your scene and or your scene is huge a couple million polys at least

I'm just saying the price difference cannot justify having faster memory. 30% more expensive for 5% performance increase?

Better spend on new NVME or better GPU. That will boost your pc signicantly...

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

I'm just saying the price difference cannot justify having faster memory. 30% more expensive for 5% performance increase?

True on NVME or a video card.!! Totally agree.

8 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

i don't like this guy's testing methodology (i say this guy but the channel is a whole team like gamersnexus) the memory only benefits CPU tasks it's true so for a game it will only give you better FPS if you're in a CPU bottleneck. which will depend on the game. but the gains aren't 5% and the cost difference isn't 30% either unless you're aiming at the cheapest green PCB kit on the market.

I personally wouldn't buy that level of ram anyway. because of the die category it is from, it would be much too complicated to explain in length but in short timings and speeds and voltage and a bunch of other characteristics depend on this.

so any A die or B die or F die kit will be pretty close to the same cost. unless you're paying extra RGB or some other dumb addition that doesn't add performance.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)