Question about heat transfer for open loop setup

hi, I'm trying to order parts for an open loop I'm going to attempt for the first time. I order 2x 420 rads one 26mm thick the other 40mm thick and I plan to use cpu/gpu/mobo blocks in the loop. I hope that will be enough to keep everything cool without having to crank the fans up. Would someone please explain to me how is heat being transferred. When I look at how people setup their loops I always see that the cpu/gpu are connected with a tube and I assume that either the cpu is sending warm water to the gpu or the other way around. Is that how it works? Wouldn't the thermals be bad in this case?

3 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

hi, I'm trying to order parts for an open loop I'm going to attempt for the first time. I order 2x 420 rads one 26mm thick the other 40mm thick and I plan to use cpu/gpu/mobo blocks in the loop. I hope that will be enough to keep everything cool without having to crank the fans up. Would someone please explain to me how is heat being transferred. When I look at how people setup their loops I always see that the cpu/gpu are connected with a tube and I assume that either the cpu is sending warm water to the gpu or the other way around. Is that how it works? Wouldn't the thermals be bad in this case?

It's not really something to get concerned about in terms of loop order because the rate at which the fluid moves through the system is so fast you get a very marginal difference in temps which can be hard to measure even at times. 

As for your rads you have way more than enough for a single CPU and GPU, the motherboard doesn't add much at all to heat but you'll be able to run your fans at low speeds depending on the rads while at load. 

The radiator is going to make the water closer to ambient temp, taking heat away from the water. Many people disagree about this but the ot]Ryder you put water cooling components in DOES NOT matter. Make sure you know this. When the CPU and GPU make more heat the water temp is going to be increasing until the heat output is the same as the cooling efficiency. So even though it goes CPU-GPU they will be almost the same temp.

Well first of all, it is a closed loop, because if it was open then water would spill all over the place and kill your PC.

Second, the fluid moves so fast through the loop that it only heats up a fraction of a degree when it passes by a CPU or GPU, so no you do not get higher temps when the fluid goes from one to the other.

Third, it sounds like you have a lot of research to do about custom watercooling.

I would suggest spending a few months learning about it first before you go and have a leak that kills your computer.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Judd said:

The radiator is going to make the water closer to ambient temp, taking heat away from the water. Many people disagree about this but the ot]Ryder you put water cooling components in DOES NOT matter. Make sure you know this. When the CPU and GPU make more heat the water temp is going to be increasing until the heat output is the same as the cooling efficiency. So even though it goes CPU-GPU they will be almost the same temp.

I understand now. It's cooling the entire heat generated collectively so it doesn't matter what order the liquid goes into first.

20 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

1 hour ago, Judd said:

I understand now. It's cooling the entire heat generated collectively so it doesn't matter what order the liquid goes into first.

100% right

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Well first of all, it is a closed loop, because if it was open then water would spill all over the place and kill your PC.

Second, the fluid moves so fast through the loop that it only heats up a fraction of a degree when it passes by a CPU or GPU, so no you do not get higher temps when the fluid goes from one to the other.

Third, it sounds like you have a lot of research to do about custom watercooling.

I would suggest spending a few months learning about it first before you go and have a leak that kills your computer.

yeah I've been doing my research on it. My plan so far:

1. unplug the system

2. clean radiators

3. set everything up

4. paper towel the hell out of everything

5. add water

6. plug in the loop only and test it for leaks by running the loop for 5-8 hrs

7. if everything looks ok than plug the system in and run it.

1 hour ago, W-L said:

It's not really something to get concerned about in terms of loop order because the rate at which the fluid moves through the system is so fast you get a very marginal difference in temps which can be hard to measure even at times. 

As for your rads you have way more than enough for a single CPU and GPU, the motherboard doesn't add much at all to heat but you'll be able to run your fans at low speeds depending on the rads while at load. 

i forgot to mention it's for 5960x and gtx 1080 ti. I plan to OC the CPU and the reason i'm getting the loops is because my current AIO can't handle the system in prolonged use without cranking the fans. Noise is a big factor for me so this is my last hope at being able to run the system at full load without fans blasting. I'm using the Nocuta industrial fans so they get pretty loud at 2200 rpm. 

1 hour ago, Pachuca said:

yeah I've been doing my research on it. My plan so far:

1. unplug the system

2. clean radiators

3. set everything up

4. paper towel the hell out of everything

5. add water

6. plug in the loop only and test it for leaks by running the loop for 5-8 hrs

7. if everything looks ok than plug the system in and run it.

Sounds good, I'm glad that you're actually trying to learn how to do it, unlike most other people who just come and ask for a parts list.

:)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Pachuca said:

i forgot to mention it's for 5960x and gtx 1080 ti. I plan to OC the CPU and the reason i'm getting the loops is because my current AIO can't handle the system in prolonged use without cranking the fans. Noise is a big factor for me so this is my last hope at being able to run the system at full load without fans blasting. I'm using the Nocuta industrial fans so they get pretty loud at 2200 rpm. 

Yeah the Industrial fans aren't exactly quiet you might want to consider changing them to the NF-F12 or quieter fans of that sort, but for sure even with overclocking a single 420mm rad would suffice so two would give lots and lots of overhead for silent cooling under load.