Go to solution Solved by mizzle_de,

Hi!

I just wanted to let you know I decided for this setup:

• MSI B350 PC MATE
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB Dual Kit

Thanks for your responses!

Hi there!

I want to upgrade my PC's motherboard and CPU.

1. Budget & Location

I live in Germany and have a budget of around 500€ (+- 40€).

2. Aim

My goal is to play 3D games like GTA V, PUBG, Just Cause 3, Assassins Creed Origins and maybe stream from time to time, but that's not really what I need. I want more fps and a - like linus would say - butter smooth gameplay. I also want the build to be upgradeable in the future.

3. Monitors

Currently, I'm running two monitors: my primary monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080 and my secondary monitor has a resolution of 1600x1200.

4. Peripherals

I already upgraded to a mechanical keyboard and a new mouse with programmable keys.

5. Why are you upgrading?

Like I already said, I want to have a better gameplay. More fps and more powerrrr in general.

My current rig:

• MB: H-Joshua-H61-uATX
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 @ 3.30GHz
    • Fan: stock
  • GPU: GTX 750Ti by GALAX (2GB GDDR5)
  • RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3-1600 (I think one is from kingston; I don't know the brand, consider them no-name)
  • PS: be quiet! bqt e8-400W (non-modular)
  • SSD: SanDisk SD8SBAT-128G-1122 (for my OS - Windows 10)
  • HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS (for my games/steam library)
  • HDD2: Western Digital Red 1TB WD10EFRX (for programs and ...stuff)

External HDD: WD Elements 2TB connected via USB3.0

Mouse, keyboard and headset are connected via USB2.0. 

The plan

I have compared and checked for compatibility over the last two weeks and have come to the following combination:

• MB: MSI X370 GAMING PRO (117,93€)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X (209€)
    • Fan: Alpenföhn/EKL Ben Nevis Tower (22,04€)

and since the CPU needs DDR4, this is the new RAM for my computer:

• RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V black (2x 8GB DDR4-3200 DIMM) (169,90€)

The online shop where I'm going to order these offers a service to install the cpu on the motherboard and updating the BIOS on the motherboard and ship all that to me. That way, I won't struggle with bent CPU pins and such things... (costs only about 10€)

My question

I just wanted to ask you guys if you have any recommendations or tips. I would be glad if you can tell me what I could do better.

Thanks!

Regards,

Ricardo

a 750ti isn't gonna cut it for those games, I'd suggest going with a used 3770/Xeon and using the money on a gtx 1070/Vega 56 instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

16 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

a 750ti isn't gonna cut it for those games, I'd suggest going with a used 3770/Xeon and using the money on a gtx 1070/Vega 56 instead.

wouldnt be better enough to bother at this point.

i'd say ride it out with AA and texture quality ticked down, upgrade platform now, and save up for a GPU when prices stop sucking and blowing at the same time.

39 minutes ago, manikyath said:

wouldnt be better enough to bother at this point.

i'd say ride it out with AA and texture quality ticked down, upgrade platform now, and save up for a GPU when prices stop sucking and blowing at the same time.

an upgrade from an i3 to an i7 would be pretty good and it'll be much cheaper than going with a ryzen platform. he can use the money saved for a much better GPU for those games.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

an upgrade from an i3 to an i7 would be pretty good and it'll be much cheaper than going with a ryzen platform. he can use the money saved for a much better GPU for those games.

but it would still be meh compared to actually getting something modern. and then you combine meh with top of the line GPU.

besides, note OP's power supply, that's not exactly the kind of PSU i'd be slotting a 1070 into.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but it would still be meh compared to actually getting something modern. and then you combine meh with top of the line GPU.

besides, note OP's power supply, that's not exactly the kind of PSU i'd be slotting a 1070 into.

an i7 3770/Xeon with a higher end GPU would still be far better than a ryzen 1600 with a 750ti, a used 980ti+1230 v2 combo would allow enough budget for a good 500w PSU.

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

an i7 3770/Xeon with a higher end GPU would still be far better than a ryzen 1600 with a 750ti, a used 980ti+1230 v2 combo would allow enough budget for a good 500w PSU.

but as i said "ride it out until GPU prices dont suck". a poopy GPU is easier to compensate for than a poopy CPU in games, and is easier to replace later on.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I decided to NOT upgrade my GPU just yet. I forgot to put that in the description...

Different Parts

I watched some youtube videos and looked at the specs and decided to take a step back:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (notice the lack of X) (191,88€)
    • Since this one comes with a stock cooler, which will be sufficient event when overclocked, I don't need an extra one.
  • MB: either
    • MSI B350 PC MATE (78,45€)
    • or MSI B350M BAZOOKA (76,54€)

I'm not sure which one would be better for this build. Can you guys help me decide?

Regards,

Ricardo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I just wanted to let you know I decided for this setup:

• MSI B350 PC MATE
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB Dual Kit

Thanks for your responses!