Just Need a Case! ($4000 CAD Build)

Go to solution Solved by PopsiclesInMyCellar,

That's the one I went with--except the tempered glass version. :)

I've already ordered the CPU and GPU, and am in the process of purchasing the 960 PRO SSD. I'm 99% sure about all of the other components. Now all I really need to decide upon is a good case... Easier said than done.

Criteria

• Black
  • Clear side panel window/tempered glass
  • Provides good airflow
  • Provides good noise control
  • Any other good features is a plus
  • Don't care much about the price. $350 absolute maximum, perhaps

Currently Looking At

Build

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/nqdK6X
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/nqdK6X/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($489.99 @ Memory Express) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($179.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($334.99 @ PC Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($479.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($599.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($219.50 @ shopRBC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card  ($1034.50 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $3478.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-28 16:57 EST-0500

change cpu cooler, kraken x62 is trash tier, it has the highest failure rate of any high end aio

also i'd reccomend the be quiet! dark base 700, tempered glass, spacious, modular, extremley clean look, sound dampening foam, usb type-c , fan hub w/ controller and rgb hub, rgb accents that sync with asus aura it's a top notch case

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

I have the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG and I love it!! It's not the easiest of cases to build in, but the finished product is absolutely worth it! 

I also picked up the 2m RGB strip from Phanteks and it was probably one of the best purchases for my entire build :)

I highly recommend!

1 minute ago, Armakar said:

change cpu cooler, kraken x62 is trash tier, it has the highest failure rate of any high end aio

also i'd reccomend the be quiet! dark base 700, tempered glass, spacious, modular, extremley clean look, sound dampening foam, usb type-c , fan hub w/ controller and rgb hub, rgb accents that sync with asus aura it's a top notch case

This is the Kraken X62 Rev 2 (note the Rev 2). It has very good ratings and from what I've read doesn't suffer the same issues as its previous model. Correct? If not, please provide evidence as I'm definitely interested in reading it.

Unfortunately, that case doesn't appear in my compatibility list/there is absolutely 0 in stock:

image.png.e7d96a324371a8daa5c849a17d3d0d00.png

I've looked at the be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 w/Window (Black) but I really don't like the massive "be quiet!" logo in the side (which they don't show in most pictures, funny enough!). Is it weird to totally disregard a case because of that?

6 minutes ago, PopsiclesInMyCellar said:

Couple of notes

Meshify C is a bad choice (IN THIS INSTANCE) because of three reasons

A: Mesh emits lots of noise to escape

B: the EVGA G2 series will not fit in the case (AFAIK, its not officially supported though I've heard people say it might fit otherwise)

C: The arguably optimal RAD position (front intake) will not work, as the asus strix gpu is too big to allow it, famously noted here:

The Evolv ATX has terrible airflow. Do not recommend.

The Enthoo Pro M TG is good, but technically there are better alternative

The H700i is good, jsut throw out the included "machine learning hub"

Swap the Enthoo Pro ATX for the more modern Enthoo Luxe

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Couple of notes

B: the EVGA G2 series will not fit in the case (AFAIK, its not officially supported though I've heard people say it might fit otherwise)

C: The arguably optimal RAD position (front intake) will not work, as the asus strix gpu is too big to allow it, famously noted here:

See I have an Evolv ATX (the TG one) but I can't relate to this horrid airflow.

Like sure, I can see it's definitely not optimal by any means. But I have never had anything close to an overheating issue because of it. My radiator is front mounted (better for CPU) in a push/pull config and it doesn't go above 70C. 

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Couple of notes

See below.

58 minutes ago, jorenc said:

Like sure, I can see it's definitely not optimal by any means. But I have never had anything close to an overheating issue because of it. My radiator is front mounted (better for CPU) in a push/pull config and it doesn't go above 70C. 

This is the issue with finding a good case! Always so many conflicting reports.

I still can't decide.

Current Build

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GTTszM
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GTTszM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (Purchased For $489.99) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($181.98 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($334.99 @ PC Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($479.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $599.99) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($219.50 @ shopRBC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $1004.99) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($191.99 @ PC Canada) 
Total: $3503.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-29 04:26 EST-0500

Need some tips on the case!

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Serious overkill on the PSU.  Get a 600W/700W one.

My build currently sits at 500W-ish. I've allowed 150W-ish to allow for OCing. Also 50W-ish for "highs in the average calculation". That puts me at 700W-ish. Got the 850W Platinum (same cost as a EVGA Gold) to allow my system to also run a bit quieter.

1 minute ago, PopsiclesInMyCellar said:

My build currently sits at 500W-ish. I've allowed 150W-ish to allow for OCing. Also 50W-ish for "highs in the average calculation". That puts me at 700W-ish. Got the 850W Platinum (same cost as a EVGA Gold) to allow my system to also run a bit quieter.

A wattage calculator estimates over what you really need.  It's if every component was stressed to the maximum simultaneously (which doesn't happen).  Most of the time you'll be using 300W, give or take.  I doubt you'll ever reach 500W.  Overclocking is going to require an extra 50ish watts at most.  By going that high, you'll likely be decreasing efficiency.  You don't want it to be too much higher than your load.

It's your computer though.  Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

A wattage calculator estimates over what you really need.  It's if every component was stressed to the maximum simultaneously (which doesn't happen).  Most of the time you'll be using 300W, give or take.  I doubt you'll ever reach 500W.  Overclocking is going to require an extra 50ish watts at most.  By going that high, you'll likely be decreasing efficiency.  You don't want it to be too much higher than your load.

It's your computer though.  Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

I'm just going off of the wattage that PCPP presented. Also want the PSU to be good for a while, and maybe do SLI down the road. Appreciate the input. :)

Any input on the case scenario? Can't figure out which is best.

17 minutes ago, PopsiclesInMyCellar said:

I'm just going off of the wattage that PCPP presented. Also want the PSU to be good for a while, and maybe do SLI down the road. Appreciate the input. :)

Any input on the case scenario? Can't figure out which is best.

Aesthetics are such an important part of that decision, it's hard to say.  Make sure it has good cable management. You're spending a lot of money to make it look nice, and cables sticking will ruin that.

Check out the NZXT S340.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

12 hours ago, PopsiclesInMyCellar said:

This is the Kraken X62 Rev 2 (note the Rev 2). It has very good ratings and from what I've read doesn't suffer the same issues as its previous model. Correct? If not, please provide evidence as I'm definitely interested in reading it.

The rev 2 doesn't have ANY differences other than an AM4 bracket. Retailers and NZXT themselves have confirmed this. The ratings are high sure, but the failure rates are far higher than any other high-end cooler. Higher than corsair, EVGA, Fractal, Alphacool, Be Quiet, all of them. For a  $150 cooler you can't even get stable. I reccomend EVGA CLC 280, h115I or silent loop 280/360.

Main Rig

1 minute ago, Armakar said:

The rev 2 doesn't have ANY differences other than an AM4 bracket. Retailers and NZXT themselves have confirmed this. The ratings are high sure, but the failure rates are far higher than any other high-end cooler. Higher than corsair, EVGA, Fractal, Alphacool, Be Quiet, all of them. For a  $150 cooler you can't even get stable. I reccomend EVGA CLC 280, h115I or silent loop 280/360.

Thanks. Actually, I don't know why I thought that--the poor reviews are indeed the same. I'm actually looking more into it right now, as I just purchased all of my components except for the CPU cooler and case (can't find the best!). I'll look into those suggestions.

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4b3qD8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4b3qD8/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($181.98 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $328.69) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (Purchased For $479.99) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $599.99) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $219.99) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $1004.99) 
Case: be quiet! - Dark Base Pro 900 w/Window (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  ($254.15 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $189.69) 
Total: $3749.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-29 06:03 EST-0500

28 minutes ago, PopsiclesInMyCellar said:

Thanks. Actually, I don't know why I thought that--the poor reviews are indeed the same. I'm actually looking more into it right now, as I just purchased all of my components except for the CPU cooler and case (can't find the best!). I'll look into those suggestions.

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4b3qD8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4b3qD8/by_merchant/

Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $328.69) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (Purchased For $479.99) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $219.99) 
Case: be quiet! - Dark Base Pro 900 w/Window (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  ($254.15 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $189.69) 
Total: $3749.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-29 06:03 EST-0500

No problem. Your build is just really similar to mine (same mobo, ram, gpu, cpu) and I went through three dead X62's in the span of a week. Currently using a be quiet silent loop 360 and it's great.

Main Rig

2 minutes ago, Armakar said:

No problem. Your build is just really similar to mine (same mobo, ram, gpu, cpu) and I went through three dead X62's in the span of a week. Currently using a be quiet silent loop 360 and it's great.

SERIOUSLY! That is insane bad luck (seems like that's what a lot of people have with those, though).

I can't find anyone selling that in my area (PCPP doesn't recommend a seller, either).

Obviously not essential, but would be cool to find one that supports Aura Sync. These say what CPU coolers have it here: https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/Sync.html

11 minutes ago, PopsiclesInMyCellar said:

SERIOUSLY! That is insane bad luck (seems like that's what a lot of people have with those, though).

I can't find anyone selling that in my area (PCPP doesn't recommend a seller, either).

Obviously not essential, but would be cool to find one that supports Aura Sync. These say what CPU coolers have it here: https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/Sync.html

Yeah, no real high-end AIOs support Aura unfortunatley.  That's why I went with the silent loop, no RGB just the be quiet! logo that matches my case and fans. The cooler master one is listed on the aura page too, but from what I understand it sucks.

The deepcool captain RGB is aura sync-ready. It's not what i'd call top notch but it's not as bad as the X62 or the cooler master series.

Main Rig

4 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Yeah, no real high-end AIOs support Aura unfortunatley.  That's why I went with the silent loop, no RGB just the be quiet! logo that matches my case and fans. The cooler master one is listed on the aura page too, but from what I understand it sucks.

The deepcool captain RGB is aura sync-ready. It's not what i'd call top notch but it's not as bad as the X62 or the cooler master series.

You sure? They can't all suck. I think the Deepcool Captian has the best reviews so far. I'm going to look more into them but not tonight. 

14 hours ago, jorenc said:

13 hours ago, PopsiclesInMyCellar said:

This is the issue with finding a good case! Always so many conflicting reports.

I still can't decide.

Is your 6700k stock, or OC'd? And have you tried taking the front panel off to see if temps improved? Many people on the forums I've talked to said it dropped temps 5-10º>

Also just google Evolv ATX airflow. It's not an isolated incident.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

7 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Is your 6700k stock, or OC'd? And have you tried taking the front panel off to see if temps improved? Many people on the forums I've talked to said it dropped temps 5-10º>

Also just google Evolv ATX airflow. It's not an isolated incident.

It's stock. I don't even have it yet. Not sure if I'll delid it straight away.

Yeah honestly, taking one look at that case tells me there's no good airflow! Lol

Can anyone please help me find this case for sale?!
Phanteks - Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Full Tower Case

In BC, Canada, Vancouver/Victoria area.

I think this is the one I'm going for unless someone can convince me otherwise! It supports Aura Sync too! https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/Sync.html