CPU Match for GTX 1080

I'm building a gaming PC, and I've decided to go with the GTX 1080 as my graphics card. But I don't know what CPU to use with it.

Pretty much all I'm going to do with the computer is game. I'll be playing a variety of old and new games, at 1080p, 1440p and 4k, all on a 4k 60hz monitor.

If it matters, I'll be using 16gb of ram, and I'm looking at the Ryzen 5 1600x, but I have no idea if that will work. Intel or AMD is fine.

My budget for the CPU is around $250.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Reaper4578 said:

I'm building a gaming PC, and I've decided to go with the GTX 1080 as my graphics card. But I don't know what CPU to use with it.

Pretty much all I'm going to do with the computer is game. I'll be playing a variety of old and new games, at 1080p, 1440p and 4k, all on a 4k 60hz monitor.

If it matters, I'll be using 16gb of ram, and I'm looking at the Ryzen 5 1600x, but I have no idea if that will work. Intel or AMD is fine.

Thanks.

What is the pc budget?

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

Just now, Chaos Gamer said:

i5 8600k, better than 7700k, benchmarks prove it...

Yeah, but z370 is expensive. 

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

8600k at MSRP or an I5 8400 when cheaper mobos release.  If you cant swing that the Ryzen 1600 is still a good buy. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

Just now, Douglas The Duck said:

Yeah, but z370 is expensive. 

yeah, but he can still get z370h or plus gaming from asus or cheaper msi boards, cheaper gigabyte boards etc... they are priced ok

5 minutes ago, sambarr said:

Closing in on 300w load on the system... on a 450w bronze... yeah I don't know.

It better be a solid 450w.

Considering it's a tier 3 PSU that should be easy

1 minute ago, monjessenstein said:

Considering it's a tier 3 PSU that should be easy

It's just not ideal. 500 dollar gpu on a 30 dollar PSU.... 

Just now, sambarr said:

It's just not ideal. 500 dollar gpu on a 30 dollar PSU.... 

As long as it does the job fine there should be no problem, hell a friend of mine has a 6 year old i7 paired with a 1080ti.

6 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

As long as it does the job fine there should be no problem, hell a friend of mine has a 6 year old i7 paired with a 1080ti.

6 year old, so a 2700k... might be quite the bottleneck on the cpu. Still has nothing to do with power delivery...

Anyway, bumping to a 550w power supply wouldn't hurt.

Just now, sambarr said:

6 year old, so a 2700k... might be quite the bottleneck on the cpu.

Surprisingly not, only game that's bottlenecked is total war warhammer which is pretty cpu intensive, and anyways at 4k (the resolution he plays) games become more gpu bound. Also quickly googled, the PSU comes with a 5-year warranty so it's safe to say it would be trustworthy with such a warranty.

5 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

Surprisingly not, only game that's bottlenecked is total war warhammer which is pretty cpu intensive, and anyways at 4k (the resolution he plays) games become more gpu bound. Also quickly googled, the PSU comes with a 5-year warranty so it's safe to say it would be trustworthy with such a warranty.

That's fine, but even though you have a warranty doesn't mean you have to try and fry the hardware.

This PSU is rated at 40 celcius, not 50... so it's capable of pushing less than 450w when it's warm. I personally wouldn't do it. Invest 20 bucks more and get a 550w. Or, you know, do whatever you want.

1 minute ago, sambarr said:

That's fine, but even though you have a warranty doesn't mean you have to try and fry the hardware.

This PSU is rated at 40 celcius, not 50... so it's capable of pushing less than 450w when it's warm. I personally wouldn't do it. Invest 20 bucks more and get a 550w.

Suppose so, as long as it also has a decent warranty and an equal or better 80plus rating.

Just now, monjessenstein said:

Suppose so, as long as it also has a decent warranty and an equal or better 80plus rating.

Yes indeed.

1 hour ago, SSJGodemis said:

8600k at MSRP or an I5 8400 when cheaper mobos release.  If you cant swing that the Ryzen 1600 is still a good buy. 

Will it bottleneck the 1080?

GTX 1070 Ti is a 1080 for cheaper.

Do you want AMD or Intel? Budget?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

GTX 1070 Ti is a 1080 for cheaper.

Do you want AMD or Intel? Budget?

They said 250 and they don't care either is fine

1 hour ago, Reaper4578 said:

1 hour ago, Reaper4578 said:

Intel or AMD is fine.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, LawlBot said:

Ryzen 5 1600?

Yeah, I was gonna get a 1070ti, and the Ryzen 5 1600x was to go with that. Basically, I'm wondering if that will be enough for the 1080, which I've decided to go with instead?

11 minutes ago, LawlBot said:

1600x not 1600 my bad

Screenshot_20171128-132521.jpg

Wow, thank you. You just saved me a bunch of money. Could you give me a link to this if it's a site, or name if it's an app? Thanks