CPU Match for GTX 1080

6 minutes ago, Reaper4578 said:

Wow, thank you. You just saved me a bunch of money. Could you give me a link to this if it's a site, or name if it's an app? Thanks

http://thebottlenecker.com

Ya gotta scroll down to the bottom of the page.

I don't know how this website calculates it...I think it's based only on gaming performance though

Just now, LawlBot said:

http://thebottlenecker.com

Ya gotta scroll down to the bottom of the page.

I don't know how this website calculates it...I think it's based only on gaming performance though

That's all I need, so that's perfect.

You put a Ryzen 1600 and a 1060 6GB together and the calculator goes, bottleneck!!!

OK.... I'm playing in 1080p, get off my lawn... (above 60fps on 60Hz monitor, doesn't matter if you're bottlenecked by anything....)

6 minutes ago, sambarr said:

You put a Ryzen 1600 and a 1060 6GB together and the calculator goes, bottleneck!!!

OK.... I'm playing in 1080p, get off my lawn... (above 60fps on 60Hz monitor, doesn't matter if you're bottlenecked by anything....)

High framerate dosnt mean there is no bottleneck....a bottleneck happens when one component is either more or less powerful than the other components

tbh, if you're playing on a 4k display, any CPU would suffice as you're primarily GPU-bound in the situation.   I see a bunch of people recommending Intel, which is fine, but I'd encourage you to look at Ryzen as well as the AM4 platform has a better upgrade path.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

2 minutes ago, IrshaadH said:

tbh, if you're playing on a 4k display, any CPU would suffice as you're primarily GPU-bound in the situation.   I see a bunch of people recommending Intel, which is fine, but I'd encourage you to look at Ryzen as well as the AM4 platform has a better upgrade path.

These days....am4 is much better value than coffee lake....by a lot. Coffee lake dosnt have low end mobos so you are REQUIRED to buy a high end overclocking enabled motherboard 

9 minutes ago, LawlBot said:

These days....am4 is much better value than coffee lake....by a lot. Coffee lake dosnt have low end mobos so you are REQUIRED to buy a high end overclocking enabled motherboard 

So, I know nothing about overclocking. Does it depend on the motherboard to be compatible? Do you know if with the components I have here I could overclock either the gpu, cpu, or both? I don't care that much if I can't overclock them, but if I can, I'd like to. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2bkxnn

8 minutes ago, Reaper4578 said:

So, I know nothing about overclocking. Does it depend on the motherboard to be compatible? Do you know if with the components I have here I could overclock either the gpu, cpu, or both? I don't care that much if I can't overclock them, but if I can, I'd like to. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2bkxnn

All ryzen cpus can overclock.  If you go with the 1600 rather than the 1600x, you'll get a stock cooler that's actually pretty decent!  The PCPP build is pretty decent already, though -- good luck with the build!

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

8 minutes ago, IrshaadH said:

All ryzen cpus can overclock.  If you go with the 1600 rather than the 1600x, you'll get a stock cooler that's actually pretty decent!  The PCPP build is pretty decent already, though -- good luck with the build!

Ok, thank you. Out of curiosity, how well does your 3570K work with your 1080? 

20 minutes ago, ImHyperstyle said:

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure this would be overkill for my purposes and would cost me $100 more.

55 minutes ago, Reaper4578 said:

You can almost always overclock your GPU regardless of your cpu and mobo

1 hour ago, LawlBot said:

High framerate dosnt mean there is no bottleneck....a bottleneck happens when one component is either more or less powerful than the other components

Bottlenecks at high framerate don't matter, your monitor is the bottleneck. What are you gonna do, run out and buy a faster monitor? 

Then you go buy another graphics card or cpu because either is bottlenecked. Then you go buy an even faster monitor.

Could do this forever. :)

The calculator doesn't even ask what resolution you're running at. It's... not very useful.

1 hour ago, Reaper4578 said:

Ok, thank you. Out of curiosity, how well does your 3570K work with your 1080? 

Very well for my needs.  I primarily bought the GTX 1080 so that I could play the witcher 3 at 1440p/60.  At the time, it was the only GPU that could do it perfectly -- even the GTX 1070 would dip in demanding scenes!  Other than that, I don't do high refresh gaming, so I'm not CPU limited in most games.  To get the most out of my 1080, I'll lock my games to 60fps and crank the effects and resolution scaler as high as possible to get the most out of the card.

In fact, the only reason I'd be compelled to upgrade to Ryzen is for the newer X370 motherboards.  With the Z77 chipset, I'm held back by a limited number of SATA 3 ports, lack of NVME and USB gen 3.1.  Performance-wise, the i5 3570k never ceases to impress me.