Do I need a sound card to do the Razer Tiamat 7.1 v2 headset justice?

Do I need a sound card to do the Razer Tiamat 7.1 v2 headset justice or is the onboard audio on my Msi z87-g43 motherboard sufficient to get a good experience out of them?

5 minutes ago, lollipopjumper said:

Do I need a sound card to do the Razer Tiamat 7.1 v2 headset justice or is the onboard audio on my Msi z87-g43 motherboard sufficient to get a good experience out of them?

No. And the only thing that would do that headset justice is being taken out back and smashed with a baseball bat, Office Space style.

Likely not. What motherboard do you have? I assume that you're just using the back of the motherboard for the audio?

No, in fact almost nobody needs a dedicated sound card anymore. The only reasons to get one would be an exotic multispeaker setup which your motherboard doesn't support, or some particularly high impedence device.

On top of that, razer headsets aren't high end enough to make the sound card's quality matter - and it's not just a jab at razer's quality, that goes for any headset in that price range.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

No. And the only thing that would do that headset justice is being taken out back and smashed with a baseball bat, Office Space style.

I will take that under advisement, to be honest only got it cause it was more than half off.xD

Just now, lollipopjumper said:

I will take that under advisement, to be honest only got it cause it was more than half off.xD

It was a slight exaggeration anyways :P and half off isn't bad.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

It was a slight exaggeration anyways :P and half off isn't bad.

Plus I have a nice pair of Sennheisers for music and movies etc so I would only really be using it for gaming.

Thanks, I suspected as much.

9 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Likely not. What motherboard do you have? I assume that you're just using the back of the motherboard for the audio?

I have a Msi z87-g43 motherboard and yes i would be using the back of the motherboard.

3 minutes ago, lollipopjumper said:

Plus I have a nice pair of Sennheisers for music and movies etc so I would only really be using it for gaming.

Thanks, I suspected as much.

Oh nice, which ones? 

I have a Msi z87-g43 motherboard and yes i would be using the back of the motherboard.

I'd honestly just stay with what you have! While gaming headsets are great for basic audio/gaming, the audio quality is actually rather poor. A sound card would be fairly overkill for those headphones (I had the Tiamat 2.1s for a while). 

4 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Oh nice, which ones? 

The Sennheiser Momentum M2 over ears. They are more than good enough for my use cases, to be honest.

Just now, CrippledROBOT said:

I'd honestly just stay with what you have! While gaming headsets are great for basic audio/gaming, the audio quality is actually rather poor. A sound card would be fairly overkill for those headphones (I had the Tiamat 2.1s for a while). 

Thanks

1 minute ago, lollipopjumper said:

Thanks

You betcha! They're great headphones for gaming, but unless you're doing audio work, listen to music a lot, or are really seeking out the best audio clarity you can, a sound card is not necessary. Most recent motherboards (and I expect yours as well) has a fairly decent on-board sound device!