Gtx 660 Prices

Brennan808

I have been looking at buying a gtx 660 to add to a budget rig and I cannot find any good pricing. When I look on ebay I find them for around $80-$100 and that is ridiculous. For that price I could get a 1050! Are these just jackasses asking for money or is this what I should expect to pay for one? 

Just now, Damascus said:

They are overpriced 

All of them or the ones on ebay?

I would not recommend getting one it is too old. If you can get one for free maybe on a side rig  

Just now, lishde said:

I would not recommend getting one it is too old. If you can get one for free maybe on a side rig  

In the price range then what would be a better option? This is the most promising card if I can get one around $50 which people tell me I can.

Dang I would've sold it for you for 50 if you posted a month ago lol

5 minutes ago, lishde said:

They're actually pretty good. Fallout 4 ran on medium at almost a steady 60 fps

7 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

They're actually pretty good. Fallout 4 ran on medium at almost a steady 60 fps

IMO the biggest issue with older cards is how much more power you draw for the same amount of performance as a modern card. Like the 680 vs. the 1050ti...

That's an F in the profile pic

19 minutes ago, Brennan808 said:

I have been looking at buying a gtx 660 to add to a budget rig and I cannot find any good pricing. When I look on ebay I find them for around $80-$100 and that is ridiculous. For that price I could get a 1050! Are these just jackasses asking for money or is this what I should expect to pay for one? 

Are you sure you're not looking at 660 Tis? The Ti is still a solid card, marginally better than a 950 and really not too far off a 1050, certainly at least as good as an RX 460/560. I paid $40 for one about 8 months ago and it was an absolute steal at that price. I'd still pay $60-70 for one in great shape today.

The 660 itself isn't quite as good, more along the lines of a 750 Ti. The 750 Ti is also ridiculously overpriced right now. They're kind of the bare minimum for 1080p gaming these days, and there are so many of them out there, and everyone thinks theirs is made of unobtanium. I actually had a conversation with a guy not too long ago who was selling a 750 Ti and an HD 7850. He wanted more for the 750 Ti until I told him that his prices were reversed...at which point he promptly raised the price of the 7850 and left the 750 Ti where it was.

If you live in an area with any kind of sizable parts market on Craigslist, Letgo, etc., I wouldn't pay more than $40-50 for a 750 Ti, maybe $55 if it's an EVGA FTW edition. If $50 is your price point and there's some small amount of competition on the local parts market, I'd be hunting for that 750 Ti.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

32 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Are you sure you're not looking at 660 Tis? The Ti is still a solid card, marginally better than a 950 and really not too far off a 1050, certainly at least as good as an RX 460/560. I paid $40 for one about 8 months ago and it was an absolute steal at that price. I'd still pay $60-70 for one in great shape today.

The 660 itself isn't quite as good, more along the lines of a 750 Ti. The 750 Ti is also ridiculously overpriced right now. They're kind of the bare minimum for 1080p gaming these days, and there are so many of them out there, and everyone thinks theirs is made of unobtanium. I actually had a conversation with a guy not too long ago who was selling a 750 Ti and an HD 7850. He wanted more for the 750 Ti until I told him that his prices were reversed...at which point he promptly raised the price of the 7850 and left the 750 Ti where it was.

If you live in an area with any kind of sizable parts market on Craigslist, Letgo, etc., I wouldn't pay more than $40-50 for a 750 Ti, maybe $55 if it's an EVGA FTW edition. If $50 is your price point and there's some small amount of competition on the local parts market, I'd be hunting for that 750 Ti.

On most benchmarks I have looked at 660 outpreforms the 750ti.

45 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

IMO the biggest issue with older cards is how much more power you draw for the same amount of performance as a modern card. Like the 680 vs. the 1050ti...

Actually 660 doesnt draw much power, sure its more than a 1050ti but it was only one 6 pin connector

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

Actually 660 doesnt draw much power, sure its more than a 1050ti but it was only one 6 pin connector

True, but the relative power per performance unit is much much higher, and it performs nowhere near a 1050ti. Old cards are great deals but I care about power consumption

Just now, Froody129 said:

True, but the relative power per performance unit is much much higher, and it performs nowhere near a 1050ti. Old cards are great deals but I care about power consumption

Foe me power consumption is absolutely no factor unless like quad crossfire. So overall would I be better off with a 750ti or 660?

14 minutes ago, Brennan808 said:

On most benchmarks I have looked at 660 outpreforms the 750ti.

That's because it does. Sorry, wasn't clear. The 660 Ti is still a very capable card in 1080p gaming, and the 660 lies somewhere between it and a 750 Ti, which is about the floor for 1080p.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, Brennan808 said:

Foe me power consumption is absolutely no factor unless like quad crossfire. So overall would I be better off with a 750ti or 660?

Also look at a GT 1030, it has the same performance as a 750ti but has a newer architecture and will be supported longer. All three cards actually perform very similarly so I would go 1030 just for power and longer driver support. Can't say for sure without knowing what prices you're paying for each card.

8 minutes ago, Brennan808 said:

660 performs a bit better. I was using one for a few months before my 980ti, and its actually a decent experience.

36 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Also look at a GT 1030, it has the same performance as a 750ti but has a newer architecture and will be supported longer. All three cards actually perform very similarly so I would go 1030 just for power and longer driver support. Can't say for sure without knowing what prices you're paying for each card.

But look at this the 660 is soo much faster.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-660-vs-Nvidia-GT-1030/2162vsm283726

The 660Ti was a great card I knew a guy that I believe still uses one to this day but it's not a card that's going to be pushing any boundaries anymore. You'd be better off with the GTX 1050Ti now. Or... look into a used GTX 970. I sold mine for $132 dollars. It had a broken fan though and needed a replacement asap.

I own a 660, 2x 660ti and 670 and a 750 ti 

the 660 is slower then the 750ti, the 660ti is about equal and the 670 is slightly faster, i can play most games on my 670 without problems i might not get 60fps but i can play gta5 online with everything up full and still get 40fps and to me its smooth and looks great.

they do draw lots of power the 660 i think is 170w tdp <>  

and two 660ti's they use a lot and get quite warm