I got DOS attacked and still getting affects from it a day later

Stevoisboss

So I was playing a game of csgo with my friend and we were suspicious of two guys on our team of cheating so we called them out for it. At about game half he said "night night" to me and my friend and we both lost connection to the server. I had hundreds of ping and about 80% packet loss. My internet at my house then stopped working. So i texted my friend and he was having the same issue. So we tried restarting our routers not knowing if it would help or not and we were able to get a working connection and talk in discord soon after. So I just woke up some 10 hours later and my internet works for web browsing and the speeds seem to be normal. The only thing is that I still get high ping in csgo (100-200) without any packet loss. On overwatch its unplayable because as soon as I join a server my ping goes up in the thousands and then I lose connection to the game server. I don't know how this stuff works so can anyone tell me why this would be and how to fix the problem?

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

6 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

So I was playing a game of csgo with my friend and we were suspicious of two guys on our team of cheating so we called them out for it. At about game half he said "night night" to me and my friend and we both lost connection to the server. I had hundreds of ping and about 80% packet loss. My internet at my house then stopped working. So i texted my friend and he was having the same issue. So we tried restarting our routers not knowing if it would help or not and we were able to get a working connection and talk in discord soon after. So I just woke up some 10 hours later and my internet works for web browsing and the speeds seem to be normal. The only thing is that I still get high ping in csgo (100-200) without any packet loss. On overwatch its unplayable because as soon as I join a server my ping goes up in the thousands and then I lose connection to the game server. I don't know how this stuff works so can anyone tell me why this would be and how to fix the problem?

Have you restarted your computer since then?

Just now, Stevoisboss said:

Yea I restarted it when it happened and i woke up and turned it back on today. 

I don't know, but I think you should call your internet company. I have no idea because this has never happened to me.

10 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

Go into you're router admin page and look for a way to release or renew your IP from your ISP. My router seems to have that option but I don't think they all do. You can also call your ISP and ask them to reassign you a new IP.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 minute ago, CyberFern0 said:

I don't know, but I think you should call your internet company. I have no idea because this has never happened to me.

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

Go into you're router admin page and look for a way to release or renew you're IP from your ISP. My router seems to have that option but I don't think they all do. You can also call your ISP and ask them to reassign you a new IP.

Ok I will try that thanks. 

Check out my HTPC build.

• 1 month later...

Try using the command prompt (cmd.exe) and flush your ip settings. Run ipconfig /release and then run ipconfig /renew. If that doesn't immediately fix it I would check my computer for a rootkit or other malware that can create services that use your bandwith/ hardware resources. Sounds to me like they somehow transferred a rootkit to your computer that starts up when you launch games.

2 hours ago, Keevoman said:

Try using the command prompt (cmd.exe) and flush your ip settings. Run ipconfig /release and then run ipconfig /renew. If that doesn't immediately fix it I would check my computer for a rootkit or other malware that can create services that use your bandwith/ hardware resources. Sounds to me like they somehow transferred a rootkit to your computer that starts up when you launch games.

5 Year’s later and people are still suggesting ipconfig? Lol just stop. He also isn’t just magically going to get a root kit from someone sending data to his modem.

And that comment was helpful how? We're offering solutions, not definitive answers. That was clearly the best way to get your opinion across.

If this is a true DOS attack, then you will need to end up doing one of two things.

1. Block any unknown, unverified addresses on your network through your firewall.

2. Contact your ISP if you don't know how to do the above and request that they simply change your public IP address.

Now, onto DOS...typically in the US carriers like Comcast and AT&T will actually attempt to block DOS attacks within their residential networks. This is to try and prevent their networks from being flooded. So i suspect that something else is at play here, could still be network related but I don't think DOS is the cause.

7 minutes ago, IrwinAllen13 said:

Contact your ISP

How is it that this is the FIRST post that says 'Call Your ISP'?  that should have been the FIRST suggestion.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

How is it that this is the FIRST post that says 'Call Your ISP'?  that should have been the FIRST suggestion.

I agree, it should have been stated first. However, at the same time there are things that can be done to block DOS on your network.

33 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

ISP wont do shit. DDoS is not for them to fix. Its a DHCP connection, sure they can wipe ARP and give you a new IP but now someone might get that IP and get dos'd. 

If speeds are normal but pings are still high there might be another issue with the hardware or traffic is actually being policed by the ISP or hardware and that causes delays. 

34 minutes ago, IrwinAllen13 said:

I agree, it should have been stated first. However, at the same time there are things that can be done to block DOS on your network.

As in? You realize that once traffic hits your modem that traffic is already there and consuming bandwidth and processing. Sure your firewall can block that but that takes time, time that your game is waiting for a response to. The only way to truly stop a DDoS is at the origin. 

That isn't true about ISP's, they will actually look into DOS attacks as they don't want that traffic anymore then you do. Especially when the DHCP lease time has expired on your public ip and you receive a new IP automatically.

I never said that either solution would be ideal, but it better then nothing. As you stated, the only way to truly stop a DOS is at the origin, which 99.999% of the time you do not control. Therefore, you are left with fewer options to actually deal with a DOS.

1 hour ago, Mornincupofhate said:

5 Year’s later and people are still suggesting ipconfig? Lol just stop.

Dude GTFO, I'm a  Cisco CNP and was working for Audi for years as their main Server engineer and ipconfig is still a damn useful command.

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

15 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Dude GTFO, I'm a  Cisco CNP and was working for Audi for years as their main Server engineer and ipconfig is still a damn useful command.

He’s suggesting it to change the wan IP address. If you actually read his problem, you’d see how stupid it sounds.

19 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

You also forgot the part where he suggested that someone sent him malware, and executed it on his machine over a UDP packet.

3 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

He’s suggesting it to change the wan IP address. If you actually read his problem, you’d see how stupid it sounds.

I agree with his problem not been fixed by ipconfig, the issue was you just saying stop suggestion ipconfig like its useless. 

you really seem like a delightful fella, your friends must love you at parties. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

I agree with his problem not been fixed by ipconfig, the issue was you just saying stop suggestion ipconfig like its useless. 

you really seem like a delightful fella, your friends must love you at parties. 

I was implying people stop suggesting this on ddos threads, as everyone does it.

4 hours ago, Keevoman said:

Wait a second, I didn't notice until just now. Why are we responding to a post that happened back in November, when the OP hasn't even replied since?

25 minutes ago, IrwinAllen13 said:

Wait a second, I didn't notice until just now. Why are we responding to a post that happened back in November, when the OP hasn't even replied since?

l

m

a

o

Shipping sucks

On 1/11/2018 at 2:48 PM, IrwinAllen13 said:

Yea I contacted my isp and they fixed it somehow. 

Check out my HTPC build.