Poor Texture, Draw Distance, Shadows etc in all games.

Harsh45

I have for the last couple months been dealing with an issue that has baffled not only me but Nvidia as well and Microsoft.

Every game I play has terrible graphics quality including textures, no ambient occlusion, jagged edges, washed out colors etc.

I am not only having this issue with my PC but another PC I also use.

1st PC 

- Asus maximus ix formula. 

- asus 1080 Ti strix OC.

- 32 GB corsair vengeance rgb.

- evga supernova G3 750w.

- i7 7700K.

- Windows 10 Home.

2nd PC

- Asus maximus vii formula.

x2 Titan X sli (original titans).

- 16 GB ripjaw.

- Corsair 1000w.

- i7 4790K.

- Windows 10 Home.

Now the things I have tried so far (Seems to be everything)

- Reinstalled windows 10 numerous times.

- Reinstalled Nvidia drivers numerous times.

- Uninstalled all drivers using DDU numerous times.

- Ran all windows 10 command Prompt checks (using administrator).

- Installed numerous (older) Nvidia drivers.

- Removed GPU and tried (5) different GPU's (Same visual issue with all).

- Ran numerous anti-virus programs (I have no viruses but thought I would check anyway).

- Called Nvidia who in the end blamed Microsoft and told me to call them.

- Called Microsoft who in the end blamed Nvidia and told me to call them.  ( Who would have though, right?)

- Tried a 3440x1440 ultra wide monitor, 1920x1080 monitor and a 4K monitor,  (No dice).

- My Windows account is in administrator as well.

- Trouble shooted everyting in windows troubleshooter.

- Both PC's have new SSD's put in after issue occurred.

I have no clue what to do at this point.

Games run just fine like always but the graphics are terrible,  change them all to ultra and looks as if nothing changed?

I have been told "You're GPU could be bad",  "Your motherboard could be bad".

Funny thing is that both PC's started doing that at the same time, different components.

The only things I can remember doing is trying out a new monitor,  Windows updates, swapping out SSD's.

My main PC,  When I first noticed this I pulled out the SSD and put it in my other PC that didn't have an SSD yet, (was still in the process of being shipped)

Just to see that my other PC doesn't have this issue,  I was wrong!  It was now showing the same terrible graphics as my main PC.

I thought maybe the SSD was bad so I bought 2 new SSD's and installed them in both PC's and the problem still exists.

I am at a loss for words.....5a1981f3e97ff_IMG_02351.thumb.JPG.df281dc9d9f8a91c75d99c083ed2dd7e.JPG5a1981d6af258_IMG_02441.thumb.JPG.a899084099174b78a914f820d058729a.JPG

If anybody has ANY idea what in the hell could be going on here,  It would be a blessing!5a198219a4e58_IMG_02131.thumb.JPG.052d88d32072e4dfb6b6cd9b050b173c.JPG

Did you try with other OS's like Windows 7 or Windows 8?

With such variation of things at hand, I would say it OS update that is somehow incompatible with graphics driver. I see you have tried older drivers, how about newest betas?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Do you mean windows insider preview builds?  If so I can try that.

On 11/25/2017 at 8:51 AM, OVD123 said:

Did you try with other OS's like Windows 7 or Windows 8?

I have not tried with other OS but not really sure how to obtain older OS unless I buy Win 7 or Win 8.1 and install that.  If I did go that route would my existing windows 10 license still be tied to mobo for future use?  Thanks for your guys replies btw.

The way I see it is that the OS would have to be the problem considering it’s the only thing the 2 PCs have in common.  Like I posted to begin with, Microsoft had me run tests which I’ve already ran before I called them telling me nothings wrong, or that it’s nvidia fault.  In the end I think the OS is the culprit.  This happens to both PCs at the same time.

On 11/25/2017 at 9:46 AM, Harsh45 said:

Go into nvidia control panel and check to make sure that you don't have any nvidia settings overriding the game settings.

There are two things in common: OS and Mobo.  Have you checked Asus / Win10 compatibility?

https://www.asus.com/microsite/mb/Windows_10/ 

If your mobos are supported, make sure* the Asus' Win10 drivers are installed (don't automatically depend on windows update for this).

Edited by Blasteque
* forgot the "sure"

3 hours ago, Blasteque said:

There are two things in common: OS and Mobo.  Have you checked Asus / Win10 compatibility?

https://www.asus.com/microsite/mb/Windows_10/ 

If your mobos are supported, make the Asus' Win10 drivers are installed (don't automatically depend on windows update for this).

I’ll check this out ASAP.

8 hours ago, Gravesnear said:

Go into nvidia control panel and check to make sure that you don't have any nvidia settings overriding the game settings.

The only settings I have overriding are v sync on for my g sync to work properly, maximum performance and refresh rate set to highest available.  These are settings I’ve always used and never had a problem prior to this frustrating situation.  Thanks for the idea though.

5 hours ago, Harsh45 said:

The only settings I have overriding are v sync on for my g sync to work properly, maximum performance and refresh rate set to highest available.  These are settings I’ve always used and never had a problem prior to this frustrating situation.  Thanks for the idea though.

Try moving that slider from maximum performance over to maximum quality and see if the issue persists. Just to see if that's the issue now.

Alternatively just uncheck the box that says override application settings. I really think this is your issue.

18 hours ago, Gravesnear said:

Try moving that slider from maximum performance over to maximum quality and see if the issue persists. Just to see if that's the issue now.

Alternatively just uncheck the box that says override application settings. I really think this is your issue.

Maximum performance is what power management mode is set to not texture filtering.  I’m also not sure what you mean by slider?  Thanks for the idea though.

Is it the same Windows install on both PCs? Have you tried different Windows? Just in case you're using the same ISO to check if it doesn't have an error or a corrupted file. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I have reinstalled windows 10 on both PCs many many times with no such luck. :(

The best way to explain this issue is that it seems all games are displaying in lowest visual settings,  I can change games to ultra and save them, play the game but still looks the same, ugly.  It’s as if something isn’t letting the settings change or something is blocking the nvidia control panel settings/GeForce experience/in-game settings.  I haven’t tried 8.1 or 7 yet but I really don’t want to spend 100 bucks to find it does nothing. Thanks for your input though. :)

This all happens with fresh install/latest Nvidia drivers/steam.  No garbage programs or anything.  Very frustrating...

51 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Is it the same Windows install on both PCs? Have you tried different Windows? Just in case you're using the same ISO to check if it doesn't have an error or a corrupted file. 

Thanks for the reply though.

52 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

No it’s 2 separate windows 10 installs.

1 minute ago, Harsh45 said:

No it’s 2 separate windows 10 installs.

I mean have you installed them from the same source? Same image from the same USB or something like that?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

I mean have you installed them from the same source? Same image from the same USB or something like that?

One is a disk and the other was 8.1 to 10 upgrade day one.

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

The thing is, I have wiped the SSDs on my one PC leaving literally nothing and used ddu to uninstall drivers and then reinstalled windows 10 and the issue is still there.  Very weird.  Games also run great as always but lack any visual quality.  In those photos above you can see that bf1 seems to put LOD at the lowest considering the arm and sleeve are jagged as bleep.

I found something that may be the cause of this issue.

Found a thread somewhere on tomshardware.com,  Someone messed with their registry and now their graphics are terrible.

Something about him trying to locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Videodriver\Device0

his search only ends with \Services\

no Videodriver\Device0

I went into registry editor myself and found that I too hit a wall trying to find this,  There is no Videodriver or Device0

Let it be known I have never edited my registry,  I just entered it to look this up myself.

I wonder if my issue could be stemming from a registry issue?

If anybody has an idea that would be great!

• 1 year later...

Im here in 2019 and still have the problem. Lets resurrect this thread. Have any of you found a solution?

• 1 year later...

I got the same problem 2 days ago 

I have a gtx 1080 Ti and even at ultra settings the graphics looks bad with low level of detail only the game renders area within the area within the character fine but at a certain distance the graphics look very bad its pike as soon i move my character to that area the graphics pops up i tried reinstalling my drivers as well reinstalling my os but the problem still exists please let me know if anyone has find a solution yet ? 

The problem started mid game while i was playing ac odyssey i though the problem is due to that game but even in csgo and cod mw the same problem 

• 3 months later...

i have the same exact problem on a brand new rig, i wish i could swap any part i could but since i change generation i could not try another motherboard or ddr4 but after i experience these low drawing distance on my new pc even my older pc do it now which is weird bcuz all the part are completely different

new pc is 17 8700k 32ddr4 gkill 3600mhz a new LB 27GL650b a PNY 2060 Super and nvme 1tb 960 evo, did million windows install all drivers are the lastest bios, name it, all up to date, aorus z390 ultra, at this point i just dont know what going on, i did try 2 monitor, play with fix refresh rate or not been doing testing for months, everyone talk but one one as a answer. the only thing i dint try is going back with windows 7, my windows 10i s original 64 bits professional

iso from MS. pc temp are fine everything is fine run smooth as butter never crash. but all the game have the same texture appearing as i get closer, i can see myself the circle around me where the texture are being redraw.

so i decide to try again with an older pc x58 saberthooth with 1060 3gb from asus on nvme or, ssd, hdd i did try everything

and i still see these issue on the older pc with all different part, so it got me worry, i spend 2000$ almost for this nonsense, i guess i will move to a console, bcuz i dont feel spending $ to fix something that no one as fix yet but have thousand and thousand ppl who have those issues. my guess is either a bad PCI lanes, or a faulty VRAMi or RAM or monitor , you see my point it could be anything, i RMA my card fom PNY but they told me its passe all the test.

so they send it back, the the fact that i have this on my 1060make me beleive the card is fine

unless i got so unlucky that both card die or have the same problem at the same time , eveything start when i buy this new Pc t play warzone, warzone had so many issue that i could not play it, but that the story of my life unlucky as fuck always get the lemon, having t deal with the MS decease etc..

trust me thhe bad luck is unreal, i must have been a rapist in my past life i dunno karma maybe?

only thing i did not try is another motherboard for my new rig and new rams, but like i said it does it on my oldest pc PC , before i was on windows 7

i guess once my pc need a format i will try to go back with windows 7 , since i had zero of this problem with my old pc on it with the same game

and now both the new pc and the old one have this problem. i haveinstall anew game Destroy All Humans! and its doing too, like i

said i have like 20 games i have try so far and they are all doing it.

i even swap electrical outlet , cables hdmi, dislay port, another monitor but very old, try different PSU aswell, nothing its always there. format fresh install name it everything as been done... 

im kinda surprise Linus never cover this issue. but i think it's normal he never had these problem since his sponsor probably test and send the best possible parts before they ship it to him, so they could to get a good reviews from him. neither way its not normal to spend 2k and have to deal with this noonsense , try to resend all the part with this covid you always past the month you have for the warranty, that what happen when you arebuying a PC online, worst experience ever!.

like i said is linus you read this ill will send it to you and you can keep if you can't fix it, ill pay the shipping. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 4:08 PM, yazmo said:

i have the same exact problem on a brand new rig, i wish i could swap any part i could but since i change generation i could not try another motherboard or ddr4 but after i experience these low drawing distance on my new pc even my older pc do it now which is weird bcuz all the part are completely different

new pc is 17 8700k 32ddr4 gkill 3600mhz a new LB 27GL650b a PNY 2060 Super and nvme 1tb 960 evo, did million windows install all drivers are the lastest bios, name it, all up to date, aorus z390 ultra, at this point i just dont know what going on, i did try 2 monitor, play with fix refresh rate or not been doing testing for months, everyone talk but one one as a answer. the only thing i dint try is going back with windows 7, my windows 10i s original 64 bits professional

iso from MS. pc temp are fine everything is fine run smooth as butter never crash. but all the game have the same texture appearing as i get closer, i can see myself the circle around me where the texture are being redraw.

so i decide to try again with an older pc x58 saberthooth with 1060 3gb from asus on nvme or, ssd, hdd i did try everything

and i still see these issue on the older pc with all different part, so it got me worry, i spend 2000$ almost for this nonsense, i guess i will move to a console, bcuz i dont feel spending $ to fix something that no one as fix yet but have thousand and thousand ppl who have those issues. my guess is either a bad PCI lanes, or a faulty VRAMi or RAM or monitor , you see my point it could be anything, i RMA my card fom PNY but they told me its passe all the test.

so they send it back, the the fact that i have this on my 1060make me beleive the card is fine

unless i got so unlucky that both card die or have the same problem at the same time , eveything start when i buy this new Pc t play warzone, warzone had so many issue that i could not play it, but that the story of my life unlucky as fuck always get the lemon, having t deal with the MS decease etc..

trust me thhe bad luck is unreal, i must have been a rapist in my past life i dunno karma maybe?

only thing i did not try is another motherboard for my new rig and new rams, but like i said it does it on my oldest pc PC , before i was on windows 7

i guess once my pc need a format i will try to go back with windows 7 , since i had zero of this problem with my old pc on it with the same game

and now both the new pc and the old one have this problem. i haveinstall anew game Destroy All Humans! and its doing too, like i

said i have like 20 games i have try so far and they are all doing it.

i even swap electrical outlet , cables hdmi, dislay port, another monitor but very old, try different PSU aswell, nothing its always there. format fresh install name it everything as been done... 

im kinda surprise Linus never cover this issue. but i think it's normal he never had these problem since his sponsor probably test and send the best possible parts before they ship it to him, so they could to get a good reviews from him. neither way its not normal to spend 2k and have to deal with this noonsense , try to resend all the part with this covid you always past the month you have for the warranty, that what happen when you arebuying a PC online, worst experience ever!.

like i said is linus you read this ill will send it to you and you can keep if you can't fix it, ill pay the shipping. 

Got the same issue this month while playing fallout 76 and mine is like 4x worse lol This is insane that no one across multiple sites and forums haven't found a cause for it in YEARS. Going back to console and selling my PC to some sorry soul if I can't fix it in a month but I tried everything.