League of Legends vs Dota 2

What's your favourite MOBA game?

I personally prefer League,but that's probably because I got used to it.

I tried Dota and I gotta say the community isn't that much different at all.In my 5 first games everyone on my team dc-ed and I was left to 1v5.

Smite was cool but.. that third person view ;_;.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Dota 2, I would probably play LoL too but I hate having to pay/unlock characters. 

HoN is pretty much just Dota. 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Moba?

EUfseAZ.gif

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Non of the above.

This. Personally, I view MOBAs like I view CoD. A game that is high in play-time potential, but low in everything else. It's like cereal. It's delicious. It's unhealthy. But who cares because it's delicious? It isn't deep. It isn't unique. It isn't vast. It's cereal. It's going to taste like some kind of sweet sugary thing. Like every other cereal.

I personally like to play games that challenge me. Not just in skill (though those are fun, although not if that's all it challenges), but emotionally, among many other deep things. 

You might take this as me knocking these various games. Well, tbh, I basically am. I don't understand how they can be fun. And I don't like the idea that so many people spend so much time on something that ends up not mattering.

I mean, I understand that's true of all games. But at the same time, 90% of games have some form of achievement that is semi-meaningful. And I don't mean the little trophies or wtv in the games. I mean actively accomplishing something that will last. Like, say, "beat" the game. Or, experience the story. Or become the strongest within that game (such as single player). 

But with LoL, and the others, it's constantly reset. It's almost like.. there's no point to play. Other than to play. And that'd be fine if there were something meaningful thing in playing. But it's literally and effectively people putting themselves in situations that ultimately have no finite, permanent, goal. Sure you beat those guys. Guess what? Your wins/losses get reset every season in LoL. Not sure on the other ones, but I believe all MOBA's have some form of season.

And you might say "well, the point of seasons is to do it again." And? I just... don't get it. I can't play a game that long for no real purpose. I suppose a good reason would be to get better because you enjoy it. But why? Why do people enjoy this?

I guess that's my question. How can someone enjoy mindlessly repeating the same thing over and over? I get games have a large number of possibilities (so much so that they all feel different), but in the end, it's effectively the same thing, over and over and over. 

I don't play FPS online multiplayer games for this same reason. The levels end up being pointless. 

And I get that people can be different and like different things. But I just can't understand how people can like something so much that has so little substance. How something can be so popular. So much so that it can say "Hey, you should play me over all the other games. Just shut your mind off and gank. Don't worry about the Last of Us. Don't worry about searching yourself and pondering the curiosities of 'what does it mean to be human?' Just play the game."

I guess I'm just a different type of gamer. My time is limited. So I have to feel like I'm getting something good from a game for it to be entertaining. I have to feel like I'm being challenged as a human and growing because of it. Either by testing my patience, determination, humanity, emotional integrity, or philosophy on life. And I want games that do that. 

Teenagers have too much time on their hands.

Oh, and get off my lawn (I'm 20 years old, for reference).

I very much dislike MOBA's, but my younger brother is playing nothing but League of Legends. I don't get it, but that's just my opinion.

This basically.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Personally DotA 2 is my favorite MOBA game, i play LoL as well, since season 1, played HoN ( 90% DotA copy ), Demigod....

For those unsure that probably play LoL and no other MOBA, i encourage you to go and play DotA, find a nice team of friends and have an awesome time.

If you want an advanced play style with a good amount of time to master every hero, than DotA is for you. 

It is hard to truly master the game, i play it for 8 years now since the Warcraft 3 mod and i have still not master every character in the game.

It will be hard to progress early since most sub 20 lvl players are bad players, after some time you will catch up and play with better people, and i guarantee you that will be more rewarding.

The game is 100% free to play, every character and game item is unlocked, the only things you can buy are skins for your heroes and HUD skins, and that will not affect the gameplay and will not give anyone an unfair advantage.

Do not go into the game, start it and after you lose, quit. Give it some time, go on youtube watch guys like Purge, Dotacinema, Luminous or Flawlezz, they have good guides, explanations and are always up to date with the new DotA stuff.

And for the dude that says: "I don't play support" , guess what... All supports in Dota are fun to play, and can even get kills, without the carry flipping out!!!  

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

League is faster paced in my opinion and is more popular which is always nice. And if you get into challenger pro teams throw money at you.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

for the people who voted others what Moba are u playing?
just so you know LoL vs Dota 2 is exactly like Console peasants vs pcmaster race.

i personally prefer League of legends after trying the other games aswell but saying that im currently giving LoL a break as im not finding it very fun anymore so by no means is it fantastic in my eyes but a nice game to play with friends 

Gaming rig: CPU: I5-2500K GPU: EVGA 660TI 3GB SC+ RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengence 1600MHz SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo Keyboard: Razer Black Widow ultimate Mouse: Logitech MX Master Monitor: 2x Acer 21.5 inch

Laptop Dell 7559: CPU: i7-6700HQ GPU: GTX 960M 4GB RAM: 8GB 1600MHz

u should be hurt

I wish I could like this post again. I literally loled. And this should be framed. As a badge of honour. 

I would love a forum badge with nothing but "u shold be hurt" written in it. And the tool tip would say "The gamer who dared to challenge the hoard."

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I personally prefer LoL but I do like dota. I just personally prefer having to pay for champions, I like the runes and masteries and the summoner spells, it makes it so each champion isnt played the exact way each and every time. I dont dislike dota at all though.

I wish I could like this post again. I literally loled. And this should be framed. As a badge of honour. 

I would love a forum badge with nothing but "u shold be hurt" written in it. And the tool tip would say "The gamer who dared to challenge the hoard."

yea that post was literally the worst thing ive seen on this forum. i wouldve said alot worse but its against COC xD.

as long as u give me the first badge i dont mind :P

I personally prefer LoL but I do like dota. I just personally prefer having to pay for champions, I like the runes and masteries and the summoner spells, it makes it so each champion isnt played the exact way each and every time. I dont dislike dota at all though.

wait wait wait. you prefer paying for champions?

RIP logic

I played dota because of my friends and i tried league breifly but didn't like it that much, probably because i'm used to dota. Personally I love dota but i will probably try Heroes of the storm when it comes out at MOBA is my favourite game genre

well since BF4 is shit atm , i play LoL :( 

well i really hate that game alot i dont enjoy playing, but still i play at least 2 games a day D: (and im plat V so yay!)

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

wait wait wait. you prefer paying for champions?

RIP logic

Its perfectly logical, I like having something other than leaderboards to work for. I enjoy having to work towards unlocking a new champion that could be either better or worse than one I currently use.

-snip-

I feel the same about the leveling up progression in first person shooters. The leveling up system is stupid and gives advantage to the people with no lives. But as to the point of the game I think the game does have value even though it is repetitive. 

To me it is not about experiencing something new. It is about the competition. I don't actually play any MOBAs (yet) but I play CS which is a game where players play a set amount of rounds (30 usually) on one map. 15 rounds as the Counter Terrorist and 15 rounds as the Terrorist. Sure after a very long time I probably will not see a lot of brand new and alien things but the fun is still there for me because the fun is not in traversing vast expanses of land on some quest for characters I don't care about. It is about the competition between me, my team, and the opposing team.

I compare it to chess. A chess board is an 8x8 grid so of course there are 64 actual spots you can have a piece occupy. That is not a lot and yet players keep coming back to the game not because it is particularly interesting looking at a wooden board but because it gives you the opportunity to defeat someone on a truly level playing field. And to me it really does feel good to come out on top in a game of skill like chess or Counter Strike. (I am not implying CS requires as much strategy(even though I honestly think it comes close)as chess but it is a useful analogy)

So in my opinion BF4 and other "mainstream" FPSs are not fun because it is not at all a level playing field. Killing a person on a typically unbalanced map who has way worse weapons, equipment, and probably hardware than me gives me no satisfaction. 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

yea that post was literally the worst thing ive seen on this forum. i wouldve said alot worse but its against COC xD.

as long as u give me the first badge i dont mind :P

Lol.

Sorry, it's the truth. LoL is to MOBA's what CoD is to FPS'. DotA 2 is the equivalent to BF4. But in the end, they are all games about wasting time doing the same thing over and over for no real reason other than to waste time. 

If you enjoy that, then fine. I just don't understand how you can. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm level 17 in LoL (whip-de-doo, I realize how pitiful and stupidly inexperienced I am to be that level), and I used to play CoD when I had nothing better to do. But now that I'm 20. My time is limited, so I spend my time on things that matter. 

As I said, teenagers have too much time on their hands. I know I did. I just can't help but wonder, will you regret it? I mean really. Take all the time you and everyone else is spending on this game that teaches you nothing. That doesn't challenge you in any way other than to do the same thing, only slightly faster (reflexes). And think about what you could've done with it.

I mean, there's competition, but how can you justify playing a game for literally 1000's of hours... for competition? Unless you plan on it being your career (good luck), I can't personally justify such an investment without getting something back (story, achievement, etc).

But then think of all the things you think you want to do when you are older. Maybe go out and see the world, or learn a new language. You could be doing that. Obviously going to another country as a teenager isn't going to happen without help, but you could be learning about the culture. Or planning your trip.

Or something. Just something that you can look back, remember, and go "Yeah. My time was well spent."

I can tell you, of the games I've played that were pure time wasters, I regret it. I'd rather have learnt Japanese. Or study Kanji. Or something equivalent. *sigh* And there's no real excuse anymore. The internet is here. It's our free ticket to do this stuff when we have all this time on our hands. 

Not that I do anymore. 

I'm willing to acknowledge that I don't understand the idea of enjoying competition at all. I just don't personally. Probably because I'm such a loner. But at the same time, I don't get how people can spend 1000's of hours on a game, like LoL, DotA2, or wtv, without having a meaningful goal in it. 

† Christian Member †

For me personally see DotA and LoL as counter strike and cod/bf. My friend had play the game and said that lol have a lot faster gameplay than dota, and it's easier and more casual. Both of them has unique gameplay, but I only play dota, because none of my friend play lol (hardly find lol player here).

And HoN is just copying dota, with more moneeeyyyzzz on the game, and they even dare to say "Better than •A" in their ads.

This. Personally, I view MOBAs like I view CoD. A game that is high in play-time potential, but low in everything else. It's like cereal. It's delicious. It's unhealthy. But who cares because it's delicious? It isn't deep. It isn't unique. It isn't vast. It's cereal. It's going to taste like some kind of sweet sugary thing. Like every other cereal.

I personally like to play games that challenge me. Not just in skill (though those are fun, although not if that's all it challenges), but emotionally, among many other deep things. 

You might take this as me knocking these various games. Well, tbh, I basically am. I don't understand how they can be fun. And I don't like the idea that so many people spend so much time on something that ends up not mattering.

I mean, I understand that's true of all games. But at the same time, 90% of games have some form of achievement that is semi-meaningful. And I don't mean the little trophies or wtv in the games. I mean actively accomplishing something that will last. Like, say, "beat" the game. Or, experience the story. Or become the strongest within that game (such as single player). 

But with LoL, and the others, it's constantly reset. It's almost like.. there's no point to play. Other than to play. And that'd be fine if there were something meaningful thing in playing. But it's literally and effectively people putting themselves in situations that ultimately have no finite, permanent, goal. Sure you beat those guys. Guess what? Your wins/losses get reset every season in LoL. Not sure on the other ones, but I believe all MOBA's have some form of season.

And you might say "well, the point of seasons is to do it again." And? I just... don't get it. I can't play a game that long for no real purpose. I suppose a good reason would be to get better because you enjoy it. But why? Why do people enjoy this?

I guess that's my question. How can someone enjoy mindlessly repeating the same thing over and over? I get games have a large number of possibilities (so much so that they all feel different), but in the end, it's effectively the same thing, over and over and over. 

I don't play FPS online multiplayer games for this same reason. The levels end up being pointless. 

And I get that people can be different and like different things. But I just can't understand how people can like something so much that has so little substance. How something can be so popular. So much so that it can say "Hey, you should play me over all the other games. Just shut your mind off and gank. Don't worry about the Last of Us. Don't worry about searching yourself and pondering the curiosities of 'what does it mean to be human?' Just play the game."

I guess I'm just a different type of gamer. My time is limited. So I have to feel like I'm getting something good from a game for it to be entertaining. I have to feel like I'm being challenged as a human and growing because of it. Either by testing my patience, determination, humanity, emotional integrity, or philosophy on life. And I want games that do that. 

Teenagers have too much time on their hands.

Oh, and get off my lawn (I'm 20 years old, for reference).

This basically.

Well this is all nice man, you have a strong opinion!

Let me ask you this:

1st. Do you play Sports?

If the answer is yes, than it should be obvious to you that sports results reset every season as well, not to mention you don't get to keep your score from the game you played before.

2nd. Do you realize that every time you play a moba match is you beating the game vs real life opponents and they change when you repeat, or even better do you realize that replaying  the "Last of US" makes sense because of the awesomeness itself?

If so, why do you even ask how can people enjoy stuff like that, anyone will have it's own taste ( i replayed Crysis 2, 7 times, Crysis, 3 times, and Crysis 3, 4 times, and I will do all that again soon, my new PC sill should arrive in a weak )

3rd. How can you say it has so little substance?

Every game can end up different, with different items, things are not set in stone in a MobA game ( at least a good one ).

I am not attacking you or calling you out for this man, I am not that much older than you, I am 24, but i will tell you one thing, every year from now you will get more experience than 3 years combined since you were 18, you will see, and understand, give it time, and try it out, it will not kill you.

Oh one more thing, do not base assumptions on LoL for all MobA games, it is he most played MobA right now, but DotA is the real deal, once you get into that, it's awesome.

Everyone has limited time, this can be a good time to hang out with your friends as well, not to mention you don't have to be a fanatic to play a moba game, play 3 or 4 games a weak, it will take you about 35 mins in LoL or 45-50 in general for DotA or HoN per game, and i believe that you can spend that time on something you can have a lot of fun with, because that's what games are also for!! 

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Its perfectly logical, I like having something other than leaderboards to work for. I enjoy having to work towards unlocking a new champion that could be either better or worse than one I currently use.

ok i guess. so u are more of a casual player i guess then. makes sense.

perosnally only dont like LoL based onsome fo its core things such as unlocking champions and people having advantages (runes and champ abilities dont make sense to me) plus all the LoL champs arent as unique as Dota heroes

Lol.

Sorry, it's the truth. LoL is to MOBA's what CoD is to FPS'. DotA 2 is the equivalent to BF4. But in the end, they are all games about wasting time doing the same thing over and over for no real reason other than to waste time. 

If you enjoy that, then fine. I just don't understand how you can. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm level 17 in LoL (whip-de-doo, I realize how pitiful and stupidly inexperienced I am to be that level), and I used to play CoD when I had nothing better to do. But now that I'm 20. My time is limited, so I spend my time on things that matter. 

As I said, teenagers have too much time on their hands. I know I did. I just can't help but wonder, will you regret it? I mean really. Take all the time you and everyone else is spending on this game that teaches you nothing. That doesn't challenge you in any way other than to do the same thing, only slightly faster (reflexes). And think about what you could've done with it.

I mean, there's competition, but how can you justify playing a game for literally 1000's of hours... for competition? Unless you plan on it being your career (good luck), I can't personally justify such an investment without getting something back (story, achievement, etc).

But then think of all the things you think you want to do when you are older. Maybe go out and see the world, or learn a new language. You could be doing that. Obviously going to another country as a teenager isn't going to happen without help, but you could be learning about the culture. Or planning your trip.

Or something. Just something that you can look back, remember, and go "Yeah. My time was well spent."

I can tell you, of the games I've played that were pure time wasters, I regret it. I'd rather have learnt Japanese. Or study Kanji. Or something equivalent. *sigh* And there's no real excuse anymore. The internet is here. It's our free ticket to do this stuff when we have all this time on our hands. 

Not that I do anymore. 

I'm willing to acknowledge that I don't understand the idea of enjoying competition at all. I just don't personally. Probably because I'm such a loner. But at the same time, I don't get how people can spend 1000's of hours on a game, like LoL, DotA2, or wtv, without having a meaningful goal in it. 

i think u misunderstood me. i only play dota 2. i have played over 1600 games of it. its the best game ever xD

yea im about to be 20. i only played COD at one time because its was the most difficult game i could find at the time ( i didnt look far) on the console.

its like playing a sport. u go to the court play a pick up game of basket ball or 2 then move on with your life. thats the mindset i have for playing games like Dota. i dont have time to progress through stories and such and i like team games. dota isnt for everyone and i get that but trust me there are very good reasons to make this the only game u play as a gamer (with the occasional other game)

No Pay to win system should be logical in a game that is competitive, it makes an unequal field for everyone. What LoL does is makes you pony up the cash or grind countless hours for buying champions. 

They should have only made skins for sale like DotA did, just to make a fair game for every player, they would make money because people buy a lot of skins anyway.

System