Please help me setup this monitor and TV setup...

sniip
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
9 minutes ago, sniip said:

it doesn't work in my case since my TV is 16:9 ratio and monitor is 16:10...

9 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I was initially going to suggest this so I tried it out on my two screens (1440x900 and 1920x1080). It uses the lower resolution between the two so OP's case the 4K TV would be showing 1920x1200.

Ah, shucks. 

I was looking for a software solution if possible :)

Have you tried pressing the Windows key + P and then selecting either PC only and second screen only? Quick way to switch between them. 

Hey guys, I want to setup my monitor and TV to my PC. I recently bought an LG 4K TV that I connected to my PC via HDMI. I also have Dell U2413 IPS monitor that I use for productivity. The problem I'm facing is that I want to use one device at a time. For example if I come home and decide to work on something I turn on my PC and my monitor. I want the monitor to automatically work on it's default resolution (1920x1200) and don't have a second screen somewhere on the side (meaning TV). And if I feel like just sitting on my couch and watch movies or play games I turn off my monitor, turn on my TV and play games or watch movies on it's native resolution (4K). 

I kind of made it work manually. If I make PC to show only Display 2 (monitor) it shows my monitor. Then if I want to watch movies I make PC show only Display 1 (TV) then turn off my monitor accept changes on TV screen in 15 second and then do whatever there. Then after done watching do reverse thing... It is bothering me a lot... Is there any way I can automate this?

Hope you understood what I want :) Thank you in advance.

Your GPU is still detecting both displays so turning one off will still detect two displays. Simple solution would be to extend the screens and move whatever you are doing to the display that you want.

Another option is to get a HDMI splitter (1 in, 2 out) so that you can just flip a switch and it would go to your desired display.

Have you tried setting them to mirrored? It will display the same thing on each, though I'm not entirely sure how that works at different resolutions. 

42 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Have you tried setting them to mirrored? It will display the same thing on each, though I'm not entirely sure how that works at different resolutions. 

46 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Your GPU is still detecting both displays so turning one off will still detect two displays. Simple solution would be to extend the screens and move whatever you are doing to the display that you want.

Another option is to get a HDMI splitter (1 in, 2 out) so that you can just flip a switch and it would go to your desired display.

40 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I was initially going to suggest this so I tried it out on my two screens (1440x900 and 1920x1080). It uses the lower resolution between the two so OP's case the 4K TV would be showing 1920x1200.

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

It crops my TV screen. Also I just realised that if I leave only TV It's screen doesn't fit fully at it's native resolution. I get sides top and bottom not fitting in TV scree. Unless i do like 500% scaling but that is not a solution since I can barely do anything with such a scaling. I also saw that a lot of people had these issues but I can't resolve it in any way. Also with new AMD drivers I cannot find underscaling and overscaling options that should help me ...

6 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Never mind. Found a workaround using just scan function on my TV. Now all I want to do is fix my original problem. I don't mind duplicating screens but different aspect ratios make it impossible.

9 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Ah, shucks. 

Have you tried pressing the Windows key + P and then selecting either PC only and second screen only? Quick way to switch between them. 

Just now, sniip said:

Never mind. Found a workaround using just scan function on my TV. Now all I want to do is fix my original problem. I don't mind duplicating screens but different aspect ratios make it impossible.

What about the extend option that I suggested earlier? Have you considered that?

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

What about the extend option that I suggested earlier? Have you considered that?

Problem with that is that most of the time it's not a stable thing that i'm doing and need to open pictures or other things that would be on my main desktop. I would have to walk around back and forth a lot. In addition to that the second display would never disappear even if TV is turned off so if i slide my mouse too much to the right I could have a struggle bringing it back

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Ah, shucks. 

Well that could be a solution. At least a temporary. I literally forgot that this exists :D

Just now, sniip said:

set tv as primary then extend desktop to ips display  

note in your tv specifications what its pc resolution is and set windows to that

1920x1080 is 16:9

1920x1200 is 16:10

also check tv menu to see if theres anything to enable when a pc attached(mine has a whole resolution customize screen)

Just now, sniip said:

Well that could be a solution. At least a temporary. I literally forgot that this exists :D

It's probably the best solution without having some additional hardware. It's the same as just going into display settings and enabling the monitor you want but with a quick shortcut and mouse click.

3 minutes ago, sniip said:

Problem with that is that most of the time it's not a stable thing that i'm doing and need to open pictures or other things that would be on my main desktop. I would have to walk around back and forth a lot. In addition to that the second display would never disappear even if TV is turned off so if i slide my mouse too much to the right I could have a struggle bringing it back

awwwww i see

go into your 3d manager(windows or nvidia)

set generic profile from multi display to single