A Really Dumb Motherboard Standoff Question

KSP
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

You don't need to have all standoffs installed, it just helps to prevent the board from bending too much when you install cards or insert the power supply cables in connectors at the edge of the motherboard.

In your case, since the standoff missing is in the middle of the board, the board will be already pretty well locked in place by all the screws around it and won't flex much. If you don't push too hard on video card when inserting it into the slot, you'll be fine, no worries.

Newer cases often come with a plastic standoff or some thing that won't accept screw in the middle, it's useful when installing motherboards with the case in vertical position by beginners (instead of laying the case flat). Maybe yours was designed like this and the plastic thing just fell off during shipping, or wasn't inserted from the start.

Sorry in advance if this is posted under the wrong sub forum.

Hey guys,

So I’m building a new pc inside the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, and im trying to install my motherboard. My motherboard is the ASUS Maximus IX Formula. So looking at the motherboard, it of course needs 9 screws to be installed, 3 near the top, 3 in the middle, and 3 near the bottom of the motherboard. My case came preinstalled with 8 motherboard standoffs, and 1 more in a separate accessory box. The standoff that was not preinstalled is supposed to go in the middle row of standoffs and in the middle collum of standoffs (so directly in the middle). When I try to screw in the standoff into the case, I can’t get it to go in all of the way (to be at the same hight with all of the rest of the standoffs) with my hands. Any tips?

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

You don't need to have all standoffs installed, it just helps to prevent the board from bending too much when you install cards or insert the power supply cables in connectors at the edge of the motherboard.

In your case, since the standoff missing is in the middle of the board, the board will be already pretty well locked in place by all the screws around it and won't flex much. If you don't push too hard on video card when inserting it into the slot, you'll be fine, no worries.

Newer cases often come with a plastic standoff or some thing that won't accept screw in the middle, it's useful when installing motherboards with the case in vertical position by beginners (instead of laying the case flat). Maybe yours was designed like this and the plastic thing just fell off during shipping, or wasn't inserted from the start.

you should be fine with one standoff not being in. the other screws should be enough support to hold everything from falling 

8 hours ago, KSP said:

Sorry in advance if this is posted under the wrong sub forum.

Hey guys,

So I’m building a new pc inside the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, and im trying to install my motherboard. My motherboard is the ASUS Maximus IX Formula. So looking at the motherboard, it of course needs 9 screws to be installed, 3 near the top, 3 in the middle, and 3 near the bottom of the motherboard. My case came preinstalled with 8 motherboard standoffs, and 1 more in a separate accessory box. The standoff that was not preinstalled is supposed to go in the middle row of standoffs and in the middle collum of standoffs (so directly in the middle). When I try to screw in the standoff into the case, I can’t get it to go in all of the way (to be at the same hight with all of the rest of the standoffs) with my hands. Any tips?

I have used too much "downward" force in my case bending it and as a consequence the pci-e brackets don't properly line up so I have to jerry rig secure my graphics and audio cards. My advice is no matter what you decide on practice reasonable force.

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP