psu supports 1600 watts. how much is 1600 watts in amps?  

echy

Hi my psu supports 1600 watts and my home circuit breaker is 125amps.

My question is ... how much is 1600 watts in amps?  i dont want to trip my home circuit breaker.

Just now, seon123 said:

Depends on the voltage

how do i figure out the voltage? 

http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/electric/Amp_to_Watt.htm

What is your PC build?  Unless you're running a server, I doubt you're using more than 400W at load.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, echy said:

how do i figure out the voltage? 

If you live in the US, your home voltage will be 110-120 volts. If you live in the UK or EU it'll be around 230.

At full 1600W load your psu will be pulling around 1800W from the wall in the US or 1750 in the UK/EU. That is 15-16 amps in the US, or around 7.5 in the UK/EU.

This is assuming you actually have 1600W load. You'll have a very hard time finding a system capable of pulling that much wattage, so your actual figures will be much lower. There's absolutely zero chance of you tripping a 125A breaker even if you push this psu to the max.

North America, some of South America, Japan and a few other places use around 110V, everywhere else uses around 220V-240V (basically).

If we assume your PSU is 100% efficient (which it's not, but we don't know how efficient your PSU is), you'd be using 14.45A @ 110V or 6.95A @230V. That's at a 1600W load BTW, which I seriously doubt will happen. 

If you account for the inefficiency of your PSU, the amps will go up a bit, but not by much. 

20 minutes ago, echy said:

Hi my psu supports 1600 watts and my home circuit breaker is 125amps.

My question is ... how much is 1600 watts in amps?  i dont want to trip my home circuit breaker.

Wattage=voltage*amperage

Assuming you live in the US, the voltage of your outlets should  be ~120v.  Flipping that formula around we see that wattage/voltage=amperage so 1600/120=13.3amperes.  Note you will likely never come ANYWHERE close to 1600watts unless you have some rediculous pc. 

Core i5-6600k OCed to 4.7GHz@1.325V | Hyper 212 Evo | ASUS GTX 1070 Strix ASUS z170-AR MOBO | 16GB DDR4@2400MHz | 500GB 850 EVO SSD | 1TB WD HDD | EVGA 650W G2 PSU | HyperX Cloud II Headset | Corsair K65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair STRAFE Brown Keyswitch Mechanical Keyboard |

Spoiler

Legend says, RGB makes your pc 15% faster.