Very strange behavior from an HDD

Audherbagn

I recently built a brand new system, and with it I bought a brand new ssd and picked an older seagate barracuda 7200.12 1tb hard drive. I threw together the system and It booted off of the ssd fine, no problems whatsoever. I then went to grab my hard drive and put it in the system, but when I tried booting it, I got stranded on the splash screen all day (It definitely posted, and I could access the bios). I unplugged the drive, and it booted fine. I pulled the drive from the system and tested it in an external drive enclosure, and it worked fine. I plugged it into the system again, and it booted fine again, recognizing the drive in windows, but not the bios. I thought my troubles were over, but after a blue screen due to an excessive overclock, it went back into its endless splash screen, and the system still refuses to boot with the drive installed. I am at a loss and have no Idea what to do.

If it is important I am using an asrock z370 fatal1ty k6

it sounds like the hdd is about dead iv had a couple old 500gb hdds do the same on me if you got it from a shop try taking it back or get a replacement

You said you picked an older drive, does that mean the hard disk is pre-owned? It sounds like the hard drive is dying and it's locking up the controller. If it still works in the external enclosure I'd grab whatever data off it you can and see about getting a replacement.