CPU bottleneck?

Hey guys, I currently have an AMD x6 1055t @ 3.4ghz + 6950 2gb. I would like to know if it would bottleneck a 280x, if so what would you guys recommend as a CPU upgrade? Budget 400$ CAD

Is the $400 budget for both or just the CPU? Do you have an AM3+ Mobo?

Hey guys, I currently have an AMD x6 1055t @ 3.4ghz + 6950 2gb. I would like to know if it would bottleneck a 280x, if so what would you guys recommend as a CPU upgrade? Budget 400$ CAD

You will get bottlenecked. Since you got an AM3 based socket, go with AMD FX-8350 or AMD FX-8320 (do check if your MOBO runs AM3+ CPU's otherwise upgrade to a MOBO to AM3+)

I'd overclock it before anything else.

He has. His stock clock is 2.8

Is the $400 budget for both or just the CPU? Do you have an AM3+ Mobo?

I have an AM3 board, and the budget would be for either a video card or cpu/mobo upgrade

I have an AM3 board, and the budget would be for either a video card or cpu/mobo upgrade

You should be just fine. A 3.4GHz Phenom hexacore is just as good (if not better) as an FX 6300; and you see guys recommending that cpu all around this forum. You should be gpu-bound in a majority of games, meaning that your 1055T will not bottleneck.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

It shouldn't bottleneck the gpu. 

If you're oc'ing on stock, a 212 Evo for a bit higher oc might be a good investment. It would also help with noise.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It shouldn't bottleneck the gpu. 

If you're oc'ing on stock, a 212 Evo for a bit higher oc might be a good investment. It would also help with noise.

Yeah I have that cooler, very happy with it. So you guys recommend sticking with this CPU, maybe OC'ing it more and going for a 280x?

I wonder how it will perform with upcoming Mantle API, which is why I want to know whether I should upgrade or not.

Yeah I have that cooler, very happy with it. So you guys recommend sticking with this CPU, maybe OC'ing it more and going for a 280x?

I wonder how it will perform with upcoming Mantle API, which is why I want to know whether I should upgrade or not.

It should be fine for now. Get the 280x and see if you are satisfied with the performance. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A 280x will be bottle necked. Although it should still game better. If you upgrade CPU you need to upgrade Mobo and CPU. So I would go with graphics for now. 

Any more than that....

Yeah he won't be getting anything that won't cause bottlenecking to a 280x.

This should be fine! The x6 OC'd performs about as good(or better) then an FX 6100 which is a very capable gaming CPU. It would be a great pair!

My PC:

CPU: Xeon E3 1230 V3(Haswell) @ 3.7GHz Motherboard: AsRock B85M-ITX RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blue @ 1600MHz Storage: Intel 520 Series 120(Boot), Seagate Barracuda 500GB @ 7200RPM, Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB @ 5400RPM GPU: ZOTAC GTX 970 @ 1.4GHz Case: Node 304 Power Supply: CX430