Not getting the internet speeds I am paying for

Marcus Torre DeProspero

Just moved out to live on my own for the first time and I got the internet setup at my place but the speeds I am getting are 60mbps when I am paying for 250mbps this is through xfinity and I am in america I spoke with my neighbor who has the 1gbps plan from them and he is getting his speeds fine, but why am I not?

Hardware is Arris surfboard sb6141 and TP-Link TL WR1043ND which from what I was told were supposed to work perfectly fine with comcast and the speeds I am paying for. Am I doing something wrong?

your using ethernet right 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

Sometimes network demand in your area could cause less than ideal network speeds. Sometimes your pc can be funky too. Don't think there's much you can do as long as you have proper chipset/ethernet drivers installed and are using ethernet instead of wifi.

Meh some build specs...

Meh some inspirational quote meh...

Just now, CheeseburgerChad said:

Sometimes network demand in your area could cause less than ideal network speeds. Sometimes your pc can be funky too. Don't think there's much you can do as long as you have proper chipset/ethernet drivers installed and are using ethernet instead of wifi.

Also make sure your motherboard/ethernet card supports gigabit ethernet. Most do, but just a thought.

Meh some build specs...

Meh some inspirational quote meh...

1 hour ago, CheeseburgerChad said:

Also make sure your motherboard/ethernet card supports gigabit ethernet. Most do, but just a thought.

yeah mine does but it may be that this old router can't take it I may have to call a friend who has a better one

10 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

yeah mine does but it may be that this old router can't take it I may have to call a friend who has a better one

Many new modems double as routers, and if not, for trouble shootings sake try just plugging directly into the modem. The router could just be old and bottlenecking your speeds.

1 hour ago, TheBingage said:

Many new modems double as routers, and if not, for trouble shootings sake try just plugging directly into the modem. The router could just be old and bottlenecking your speeds.

tried didn't do anything

1 minute ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

tried didn't do anything

Oh damn man, could be a random closed port or something? I don't know quite enough networking stuff to help further.

Do you have fiber or cat cable to your house? what you can try it to plug your computer into the wall and not into the router to check. 

1 hour ago, Vernw3 said:

your using ethernet right 

1 hour ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

yes I am

90% of my day is explaining to people how you cant get the speeds over wifi.

How are you measuring your speeds?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 hours ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

Just moved out to live on my own for the first time and I got the internet setup at my place but the speeds I am getting are 60mbps when I am paying for 250mbps this is through xfinity and I am in america I spoke with my neighbor who has the 1gbps plan from them and he is getting his speeds fine, but why am I not?

Hardware is Arris surfboard sb6141 and TP-Link TL WR1043ND which from what I was told were supposed to work perfectly fine with comcast and the speeds I am paying for. Am I doing something wrong?

Because they WILL NOT provision the SB6141 above 200Mbps. You need a new modem. You cant go based on Arris's specs sheet. You have to go based on Comcast's. If you want more than 200Mbps then you need at least a 16 channel down stream modem. Try the SB6183 or the CM600. 

You can find more info here: https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/ 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, intertan said:

90% of my day is explaining to people how you cant get the speeds over wifi.

with the other 10% arguing....."no I will not change the speeds to guarantee you get those speeds over wireless" 

I hate dealing with wifi with customers.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Because they WILL NOT provision the SB6141 above 200Mbps. You need a new modem. You cant go based on Arris's specs sheet. You have to go based on Comcast's. If you want more than 200Mbps then you need at least a 16 channel down stream modem. Try the SB6183 or the CM600. 

You can find more info here: https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/ 

Also avoid PUMA6-7 based Intel chipset modems for cable, go broadcom and never look back.

Feel free to look here for more information;

http://badmodems.com/

Affected devices

http://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

8 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Also avoid PUMA6-7 based Intel chipset modems for cable, go broadcom and never look back.

Feel free to look here for more information;

http://badmodems.com/

Affected devices

http://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

To my understanding Puma 6 chips are the only ones affected by the latency issue. At least thats what I got on my findings from DSLreports.com 

Just now, Donut417 said:

To my understanding Puma 6 chips are the only ones affected by the latency issue. At least thats what I got on my findings from DSLreports.com 

Both PUMA 6 and 7 are affected by the easy DOS to wipe out the modem with small amounts of UDP packets.  Best avoided.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

8 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Both PUMA 6 and 7 are affected by the easy DOS to wipe out the modem with small amounts of UDP packets.  Best avoided.

Welp. I wont buy anything modems with Intel shit in them any more. Seems Puma 5,6 and 7 chips are having issues.