My new PSU Seasonic is loud when gaming

fikrieff
Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,
7 minutes ago, fikrieff said:

so its normal?

Yes, that's how electronics work, if you stress them enough then they get hot and the fans ramp up like in your case :) The PSU you chose is decent but it doesn't have the quietest fan on the market so when you combine it with relatively low-wattage and a lot of stress, you get a loud fan as a result.

I'd personally try to get a higher-wattage unit so the PSU has more wattage headroom, which should translate into quieter operation and less stress on the components inside of the power supply. You can also look for quiet PSUs if silence is your thing, there are Be Quiet! units that are good and there are EVGA GS-series PSUs which were also designed with silence in mind.

hey guys i need help here

my psu is very new, and is loud only when gaimng, my psu is SEASONIC M2II 520W MODULAR, fan facing DOWN(theres a dust filter in bottom off the case)

i already CHECK the sound is really coming from my psu, i try to reduce gpu fan speed to 30% for a few second in heavy load gaming, and the sound loud sound is coming from psu,

even in 80% gpu fan speed, my psu is louder than gpu

spec :

asrock ab350 pro4

ram ddr4 2X8

XFX RX 580 8GB

ryzen 5 1600

3 low rpm fan case

seagate 1tb

kingston ssd 120gb

please help me

is there anithyng to reduce my psu fan noise? or  is it NORMAL?

thanks

sorry for bad english

you think a screw got stuck in the psu and when it is delivering more power it is clipping the fan ? I would try looking, but please for the love of Christ don't open up your PSU it can kill you just RMA it or return it and get a new one if you can 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

there is no screw that stuck in psu and there is no weird noises just loud fan noise when heavy load gaming like witcher 3

and i dont think i can RMA this psu just because loud when gaming

That's because your entire system gets very close to the maximum power output that this PSU is rated for, it will obviously be loud because it's getting near its maximum potential. You should've bought a PSU with more headroom for quieter operation, I'm sure the 620W model of the same unit would be quite a bit quieter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

you think you can return it ?

OR do you think your wall could be not out putting enough power so it is gassing you PSU @fikrieff

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

That's because your entire system gets very close to the maximum power output that this PSU is rated for, it will obviously be loud because it's getting near its maximum potential. You should've bought a PSU with more headroom for quieter operation, I'm sure the 620W model of the same unit would be quite a bit quieter.

so its normal?

4 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

you think you can return it ?

OR do you think your wall could be not out putting enough power so it is gassing you PSU @fikrieff

idk man, im like newbie in this

i use 550W APC UPS

7 minutes ago, fikrieff said:

so its normal?

Yes, that's how electronics work, if you stress them enough then they get hot and the fans ramp up like in your case :) The PSU you chose is decent but it doesn't have the quietest fan on the market so when you combine it with relatively low-wattage and a lot of stress, you get a loud fan as a result.

I'd personally try to get a higher-wattage unit so the PSU has more wattage headroom, which should translate into quieter operation and less stress on the components inside of the power supply. You can also look for quiet PSUs if silence is your thing, there are Be Quiet! units that are good and there are EVGA GS-series PSUs which were also designed with silence in mind.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, fikrieff said:

idk man, im like newbie in this

i use 550W APC UPS

Yeah I don't know much either I pulling at strings man

@JDE probably is who we want to ask.

25 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

A Ryzen 1600 and 580 even with watercooling OC wouldn't demand more than 350W.

24 minutes ago, fikrieff said:

so its normal?

Yes. The M12 isn't known for it's quietness. The fan will run to keep the unit cool.

If you want a newer, better, and quieter PSU, then an EVGA G2 or Corsair RMx/RMi would be a good choice for you.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

18 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A Ryzen 1600 and 580 even with watercooling OC wouldn't demand more than 350W.

RX 580s can get up to pretty big power draws due to them being outside of the optimal efficiency curve for the Polaris architecture, considering the fact that this PSU is rated at around 500W then I'd say it's pretty close because the power draw can reach even around 420-450W depending on voltages and clock speeds of both CPU & GPU... My bet goes that it's enough for the Seasonic unit to ramp the not-so-quiet fan up quite a bit.

9 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

RX 580s can get up to pretty big power draws due to them being outside of the optimal efficiency curve for the Polaris architecture, considering the fact that this PSU is rated at around 500W then I'd say it's pretty close because the power draw can reach even around 420-450W depending on voltages and clock speeds of both CPU & GPU... My bet goes that it's enough for the Seasonic unit to ramp the not-so-quiet fan up quite a bit.

RX580s have a single 8-pin power plug so this card is not physically capable of demanding more than 225W. If The 1600 is OC'd then that might demand 150W. That said, here's JayzTwoCents much less power-efficient rig running all overclocked on water to the absolute limit and he's hitting 350W under load.

A GTX 680 and 3770K when heavily overclocked demand MUCH more power than both OP's CPU and GPU.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

15 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

RX580s have a single 8-pin power plug so this card is not physically capable of demanding more than 225W. If The 1600 is OC'd then that might demand 150W. That said, here's JayzTwoCents much less power-efficient rig running all overclocked on water to the absolute limit and he's hitting 350W under load.

A GTX 680 and 3770K when heavily overclocked demand MUCH more power than both OP's CPU and GPU.

yes u right, i dont even overclok the cpu

so the solution is just to buy new good quality psu right

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

RX580s have a single 8-pin power plug so this card is not physically capable of demanding more than 225W. If The 1600 is OC'd then that might demand 150W.

Depends on which RX 580 ^_^ All we know is that OPs 580 is from XFX, here's an XFX 580 with an 8pin+6pin: http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-500-series/rx-580-gtr-8gb-dd-led-rx-580a8dbr6

7 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Depends on which RX 580 ^_^ All we know is that OPs 580 is from XFX, here's an XFX 580 with an 8pin+6pin: http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-500-series/rx-580-gtr-8gb-dd-led-rx-580a8dbr6

Yet the entire system is still not going to draw more than a 3770K and 680 with OC ;)

4 minutes ago, fikrieff said:

in afterburner my gpu take around 130W

Afterburner can't really measure that. The TDP of the card isn't much higher than that so that would make sense it would display a random number near TDP.

If you want a cheaper solution then get something like a Kill-A-Watt or Corsair RMi and use Link to measure power draw. The RMi actually would be a good PSU for you if you wanted to try out that feature too.

@STRMfrmXMN Mind if I bother you for a question regarding this matter more or less, is it actually good at all have some room left on total system draw vs PSU advertised wattage? Alternatively asking; say your system is drawing in full load 520w and you have a solid 550w psu is that fine or not?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

48 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

@STRMfrmXMN Mind if I bother you for a question regarding this matter more or less, is it actually good at all have some room left on total system draw vs PSU advertised wattage? Alternatively asking; say your system is drawing in full load 520w and you have a solid 550w psu is that fine or not?

So long as it's a quality unit there is nothing wrong with it. A quality unit will also have the fan running full blast to keep the thing cool.

As long as the PSU can breathe then it shouldn't be an issue. Of course, if electronics run hotter they will live a shorter life. Corsair/Antec/EVGA/Seasonic etc are not stupid and make sure the fan will run at full tilt if the unit is getting dangerously hot and most PSUs will shut down before they get to explode-worthy temps.

3 hours ago, fikrieff said:

hey guys i need help here

my psu is very new, and is loud only when gaimng, my psu is SEASONIC M2II 520W MODULAR,

is there anithyng to reduce my psu fan noise? or  is it NORMAL?

thanks

sorry for bad english

Yes, replace the PSU with a more modern and better unit.

The high noise of the S12II/M12II is one of the things to critizise it and, as you prove, seem to be a bit more important for the users. 

So no, there isn't anything you can do but to replace the PSU...

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I'm sure the 620W model of the same unit would be quite a bit quieter.

Naa, same design/plattform, same heatsinks. 

Same group regulated unit with the same shitty HY-510N protection chip. Nothing gained from that.

A higher quality but lower wattage unit would be better...

I'd personally try to get a higher-wattage unit so the PSU has more wattage headroom, which should translate into quieter operation and less stress on the components inside of the power supply.

Naa, if we talk about the same plattform with the same heatsinks and the same efficiency, that isn't possible.

If we would talk about two different units - like Corsair RMx/i 550/650 vs. 750 it is possible. Or be quiet Dark Power Pro P11 750W vs. 850W.

But that is because we are technically talking about two different units with different heatsinking and so on.

ANyway, click here scroll down to the picture that says 'Lüfter und Spannungen':

https://www.hartware.de/2012/11/27/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-10-650w/8/

There you see that the 550W at 100% load has a lower fan RPM of the 650W at 10% load.

You can also look for quiet PSUs if silence is your thing, there are Be Quiet! units that are good and there are EVGA GS-series PSUs which were also designed with silence in mind.

Well, he kinda has to because only a PSU designed for quiet operation can be quiet, though I'd rather not mention EVGA and quiet in one sentence. They don't seem to care much about that and are not particularly quiet either. They just seem to relabel the standard thing of the manufacturer without noticable changes. 

And the 550/650W GS are pretty bad units because they lack protection (that bloody HY-510N) and can die when overloaded,especially on minor rails.

be quiet is an option but sadly not that much else as many manufacturers mess up the fan or the fan controller...

What's really sad is that the cheapest 80plus Goldish unit on the Market (Xilence Performance X) is better n that regard than many other named brand units at least under lower loads...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Definitely, return that mediocre PSU and buy a good, and quiet unit. Is it a possibility for you? Where are you from? There are surely better and quieter PSUs for the price of the M12II, unless the catalog is too reduced.

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

And the 550/650W GS are pretty bad units because they lack protection (that bloody HY-510N) and can die when overloaded,especially on minor rails.

Don't hurt my poor PSU :(

At least you need to crossload it to seriously kill it.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Don't hurt my poor PSU :(

Well, I have one myself.

At least the case is amazing - put a Super FLower Golden King 650W inside ;D ;D

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

10 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Well, I have one myself.

At least the case is amazing - put a Super FLower Golden King 650W inside ;D ;D

Is your unit not quiet? My fan never comes on in mine in ECO mode.

Perhaps my unit is quietly cooking itself :ph34r::ph34r: