No longer available. One Plus Live Event for November 2017 Link.

Vapare

Link to One Plus's Live event. No longer valid.

https://oneplus.net/event?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5T-launch-event&utm_term=cta&utm_content=en

Link to One Plus 5T's Page: https://oneplus.net/5t

@TheRandomness If you want to feel free to just delete this thread. It's not relevant anymore anyway.

It took them quite long to copy the current trend of other high end smartphones to have a high screen to body ratio.

I hope they got some outstanding features on board, cause otherwise this will be just another boring launch of a smartphone.

oneplus-5t-vs-oneplus-5-unboxing-video.j

I don't get the amount of hype for this thing honestly.

It's just a phone. Sure, it's a good one for whatever it's gonna cost, but it's just a phone.

There's nothing special about it. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I don't get the amount of hype for this thing honestly.

It's just a phone. Sure, it's a good one for whatever it's gonna cost, but it's just a phone.

There's nothing special about it. 

Exactly, sometimes a phone is just a phone and you don't need anything special about one. As long as the price is right I think it will do just fine. When my LG phone broke last year december I was in the market for a new phone and actually went with the OP3T and although it doesn't do any super crazy things, it was half the cost of a flagship and has been treating me fine over the past 11 months.

Even though I don't really like Razer products, that Razer phone sure looks promising though... dual facing front speakers is a godsend.

Even if the 5T is good I'm done with OP. I had too many bad experiences with my OP2 and it looks like my next phone is gonna be a pixel (or iPhone if I find a good deal on the X)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, NinJake said:

Exactly, sometimes a phone is just a phone and you don't need anything special about one. As long as the price is right I think it will do just fine. When my LG phone broke last year december I was in the market for a new phone and actually went with the OP3T and although it doesn't do any super crazy things, it was half the cost of a flagship and has been treating me fine over the past 11 months.

Being a phone that's good is fine.

The problem I have is the insane about of hype. Like "The greatest day ever" or some other nonsense like that.

Just stop, OnePlus. You're selling a cellphone, not miracles. There was a time where all the hype worked but now it's making you into a laughing stock. Just be sane and be a normal company.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Being a phone that's good is fine.

The problem I have is the insane about of hype. Like "The greatest day ever" or some other nonsense like that.

Just stop, OnePlus. You're selling a cellphone, not miracles. There was a time where all the hype worked but now it's making you into a laughing stock. Just be sane and be a normal company.

Say the same thing with Apple products.

This is why I don't watch advertisements by the company trying to sell a product. I go after reviews from others to judge products these days. I actually don't even know what OnePlus has been doing to turn them into a laughing stock tbh lol.

1 minute ago, Kirito24 said:

Say the same thing with Apple products.

Apple doesn't do the same thing OP does. OP announces the event days before, goes with all this never settle crap, tweets it everywhere, etc. Apple just holds an event, launches the iPhone, it goes on sale and the PEOPLE go crazy about it. With OP it's the company going crazy. They hold all these competitions and giveaways and stuff and at this point it's getting kinda stupid imo.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

OnePlus: Settle.
Wonder if they fixed the huge input lage of the screen on the OP5.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Apple doesn't do the same thing OP does. OP announces the event days before, goes with all this never settle crap, tweets it everywhere, etc. Apple just holds an event, launches the iPhone, it goes on sale and the PEOPLE go crazy about it. With OP it's the company going crazy. They hold all these competitions and giveaways and stuff and at this point it's getting kinda stupid imo.

I think OnePlus takes's Apple's choice of words in their marketing a bit too far.

@DocSwag Apple doesn't even need to do anything. If they kept their mouths shut and launched the iPhone 11 in a month by surprise everyone would go mad and buy them anyways, even if they just picked up an iPhone X.

Oneplus just doesn't have that type of following, plus being an android phone they have a much larger competition compared to iOS. I haven't seen any giveaways or anything but why is it stupid for a company to market by giving away free stuff? The worst thing that can happen is you don't win it lol. Take a look at that BMW april fools joke where they said "bring in any old car and we'll give you a new BMW". It was obviously a joke but to help with marketing, the first person to come in brought in a old nissan and got a brand new BMW for free.

Just now, DocSwag said:

They kinda do actually... you just said it. I don't get why people are all butt hurt for no reason. It's a free market where a company can promote their products the way they want to. At least One Plus isn't selling a phone for over a 1000 USD like Apple and even Samsung with their new device. I just shared this so people who actually are interested would know about it. 

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

@DocSwag Apple doesn't even need to do anything. If they kept their mouths shut and launched the iPhone 11 in a month by surprise everyone would go mad and buy them anyways, even if they just picked up a iPhone X.

Oneplus just doesn't have that type of following, plus being an android phone they have a much larger competition compared to iOS. I haven't seen any giveaways or anything but why is it stupid for a company to market by giving away free stuff? The worst thing that can happen is you don't win it lol. Take a look at that BMW april fools joke where they said "bring in any old car and we'll give you a new BMW". It was obviously a joke but to help with marketing, the first person to come in brought in a old nissan and got a brand new BMW for free.

The thing with hype is that to me when you drum it up too much and then you launch the product, when you overhype it the product ends up being a disappointment even if it's still actually decent. Same thing happens with amd.

1 minute ago, Kirito24 said:

They kinda do actually... you just said it. I don't get why people are all butt hurt for no reason. It's a free market where a company can promote their products the way they want to. At least One Plus isn't selling a phone for over a 1000 USD like Apple and even Samsung with their new device. I just shared this so people who actually are interested would know about it. 

I'm not really butt hurt about it per se, it's just that I think the hype up strategy is only reasonable when you're a small startup. OnePlus has a much bigger fan base now so it doesn't make as much sense.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

The thing with hype is that to me when you drum it up too much and then you launch the product, when you overhype it the product ends up being a disappointment even if it's still actually decent. Same thing happens with amd.

This much is true, look at how well EA is fairing with Battlefront 2 xD

However, OP biggest selling point is how much they sell it for compared to flagships. If it cost 60-70% of a flagship (or sometimes closer to half or less), but still manages to do 85-95% of the things a flagship does, that's what matters the most for me. I don't play games on my phone, I just need something that will take pictures, text, call, stream music and browse reddit and I'm golden lol.

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

OnePlus has a much bigger fan base now so it doesn't make as much sense.

Going back to your comparison earlier, how many iPhone users are there, and how many OP users are there? (Goes to google...) by middle of 2014, OP sold 500,000 units.

By July of 2016, Apple has sold more than 1 Billion phones.

Another thing to take into consideration is if you own a iMac or iPad or anything else like that, or are heavily invested into iTunes or any other Apple product, it makes it so much more simple to stay within your realm of apple products.

7 minutes ago, Kirito24 said:

The problem isn't marketing. It's the insane amount of hype.

The phones are fine, I don't have much of an issue with those. But the hype can get to borderline ridiculous levels.

I remember when OnePlus would just say that they were a small company when they made mistakes. Except they aren't really that small. 

I know there's a 2 year difference and I'm sure OP has gained a little larger of a salesbase, (but then again apple probably sold more as well). This graph can't even show the actual line necessary.

appleVsOP.PNG

37 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I'm not really butt hurt about it per se, it's just that I think the hype up strategy is only reasonable when you're a small startup. OnePlus has a much bigger fan base now so it doesn't make as much sense.

OnePlus being a start-up is probably the biggest falsehood in the business and OnePlus likes to play that card all the time and does not dissuade their customers from thinking it. OnePlus is a subsidiary of BBK Electronics which also owns the Oppo and Vivo brand hence they share a lot of technology like the charging tech. BBK Electronics shipped more units than Apple and Huawei earlier in the year making them the second largest company behind Samsung and are the largest player in the India and (if it isn't now, then it was) the largest player in China. 

You could argue they needed to work for their mindshare but they have the financial and technological backing of a huge corporation. That's one of the reasons their customer service (or lack thereof) shouldn't be accepted as start-up woes - among other things that is.

I know you didn't explicitly call them a start-up (or at least not anymore) but they never really were one. Company was started by a former Oppo executive and have tried to hide their status as a subsidiary in the past.

5 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

OnePlus being a start-up is probably the biggest falsehood in the business and OnePlus likes to play that card all the time and does not dissuade their customers from thinking it. OnePlus is a subsidiary of BBK Electronics which also owns the Oppo and Vivo brand hence they share a lot of technology like the charging tech. BBK Electronics shipped more units than Apple and Huawei earlier in the year making them the second largest company behind Samsung and are the largest player in the India and (if it isn't now, then it was) the largest player in China. 

You could argue they needed to work for their mindshare but they have the financial and technological backing of a huge corporation. That's one of the reasons their customer service (or lack thereof) shouldn't be accepted as start-up woes - among other things that is.

I know you didn't explicitly call them a start-up (or at least not anymore) but they never really were one. Company was started by a former Oppo executive and have tried to hide their status as a subsidiary in the past.

OnePlus has never been "small" in the traditional sense.

Sure, their way of working can be like a startup, but they aren't a "true" startup. An actual startup is a company founded on new foundation, usually by people with experience and they get backing and investments from other companies, but never owned by one.

OnePlus isn't a startup. They may act and work like one, but they are owned by Oppo as a subsidiary, and as a result, is under the BBK Electronics umbrella. 

I mean, when you put the puzzles together, it makes sense; The OP5 sharing its shell with the Oppo R11, DASH charging working in the exact same way as VOOC Rapid Charging, the OP5's use of a camera sensor that was developed exclusively for Oppo via a joint-partnetship with Sony, etc.

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

It took them quite long to copy the current trend of other high end smartphones to have a high screen to body ratio.

I hope they got some outstanding features on board, cause otherwise this will be just another boring launch of a smartphone.

oneplus-5t-vs-oneplus-5-unboxing-video.j

Yeah little behind i just want Same Price as one plus 5 and dual speakers and ill buy one.  Bigger battery would seal the deal 1000% but rumors have squashed that pretty well.  LG V30 Pixel XL 2 and s8 all are $750-850 phones and this would be pretty similar besides waterproofing. 

Just now, michaelocarroll007 said:

Yeah little behind i just want Same Price as one plus 5 and dual speakers and ill buy one.  Bigger battery would seal the deal 1000% but rumors have squashed that pretty well.  LG V30 Pixel XL 2 and s8 all are $750-850 phones and this would be pretty similar besides waterproofing. 

The S8 shouldn't be that expensive anymore.
Here in Gernany its available for around 500€.

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

The S8 shouldn't be that expensive anymore.
Here in Gernany its available for around 500€.

Most carriers have it at 750 here and direct samsung.com is 750 USD.  Sometimes youll see a direct re seller or a place selling them for $600ish unlocked on sale. i havent seen any carrier or samsung do this at all. 

1 minute ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Most carriers have it at 750 here and direct samsung.com is 750 USD.  Sometimes youll see a direct re seller or a place selling them for $600ish unlocked on sale. i havent seen any carrier or samsung do this at all. 

With my current carrier I pay 660€ over the course of 2 years for my S8.
Are there no retailers at your place that sell them unlocked? o.O