Have You Replaced Your Wallet Yet?

Which major E-wallet do you use?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which major E-wallet do you use?

• Google Wallet
    • Apple Wallet
    • Other
    • I Dont Use One
  2. 2. Which major E-Payment system do you think is better?

• Andriod Pay
    • Apple Pay
    • Samsung Pay
    • Other
    • I Don’t Use One

3 minutes ago, wcreek said:

From my experience with Samsung pay it can work in more places as it uses something Called MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) basically it's able to fool older pinpads and pinpads with NFC disabled into thinking a card was swiped. It might work on terminals where the card reader is integrated into the terminal, however I am not totally sure as I haven't tried it yet. The only time it won't work is where the card needs to be physically inserted into the slot or the reader has too much plastic surrounding it.

Here's an article from Samsung talking about MST.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00043865/

There is however, a limitation on Samsung Pay. It's only available for Samsung devices, which all Samsung devices, Galaxy Note 5/S6 or newer will support.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 hours ago, arbellason55 said:

Then there is me who regularly exchanges paper money for pennies and then sort through them to find the full copper ones and then exchange the copper zinc ones for more pennies to repeat the process. The moral of the story is that I like to keep my money in a form that has universal physical value regardless of whatever money standard is in place.  

I believe it’s not legal to metal coins in the USA. Also anything can have value depending on how much people are willing to give value. 

10 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Here's the reason I don't use a digital wallet:

Last month my itunes account was hacked. I had used a very old password on it so it's no surprise it was hacked but that's beside the point. I had my discover credit card inside my apple wallet but that was it. Well apparently the hacker got ahold of my credit card information and started racking up charges worth hundreds of dollars to my card. The good news is I caught all this before my statement came in, so it was very easy to deal with, but I just really don't want to have to deal with that again. I will stick to a wallet filled with plastic cards that can only be physically stolen for now. 

I feel like that doesn’t change the fact if you buy something online. Example, some hacker gets ahold of the website processing page that you input your CC information. You then have to do the same thing cancel your cards and get new ones. 

1 hour ago, Volbet said:

The problem is that ApplePay allows you to register your card but forces you to use the most expensive option.

A Dankort is also a Visa card, and ApplePay refuse to use the cheapest option of the two, which is supposedly against competitive laws in Denmark and the EU.

Ah, now I get ya.

12 hours ago, ThorThe1 said:

I almost never carry cash on me, so it wouldn’t be a huge game changer in that aspect. Is there anything you carry in your wallet that can’t be digitized yet? 

My driver's licence,  Student ID, my medical card,  my library card, my Road side assistance card (Triple A). 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 hour ago, chilicheeseburger said:

I don't use any kind of e-wallet nor do i care about that. I don't even like using my debit card and only use my credit card maybe once a year for booking a hotel room.

I prefer cash, everything else feels like outsourcing control over my funds.

Also if cash goes away the government will be able to track each and every transaction you ever made... so don't let convenience fool you into surrendring your privacy and control over your hard earned money.

I feel like the amount you would have to invest to actually have anything that is seen by a majority having value is not going to happen in my lifetime. Since I don't have the capital to invest in such things as silver, gold, or what-ever material people put stock in. In that regard, I spend my money on electronics when I can. I'm all about people being able to be anonymous, but there is that grey area that will at some point disappear because of the inefficiency of money. So as long as they don't track me, as in requiring me to have a gps/tracer on me, I wouldn't care. Besides, it's not very likely, but the government could push through a bill that makes all physical money worthless and requires you to turn in all your physical cash so that it can be added to your "account". At that point, I highly doubt that a majority of businesses or people will be against the change when it would literally break our trading systems in respect to going to a different state and that state has different or worthless money.  

7 minutes ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

My driver's side licence, my medical card,  my library card, my Road side assistance card (Triple A). 

Would you not be able to have an AAA card, and library card on your phone? Like you can with insurance cards? Do you choose not too?  

I know in Illinois, you can put whatever medical information you want tied to your driver's license in case you were in an accident. 

For me, my work is self-insured, so my medical insurance card just says to send the bill to this address. so I don't even need to have the physical card.   

2 minutes ago, ThorThe1 said:

Would you not be able to have an AAA card, and library card on your phone? Like you can with insurance cards? Do you choose not too?  

I haven't looked into it. But I've never seen anyone with a library card on their phone used to check out physical books. At least at my library. I would know because I volunteer as leader of Tech Support. Some things you can check out with a library card registered to your phone are e-books and e-audiobooks.

But yeah, I still use a physical wallet for the other cards I mentioned. Plus a physical credit and debit card that I still like to use. Although, I enjoy putting funds into my Starbucks account through PayPal on my phone, order my drink on there, and not have to stand in line. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

5 minutes ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

I haven't looked into it. But I've never seen anyone with a library card on their phone used to check out physical books. At least at my library. I would know because I volunteer as leader of Tech Support. Some things you can check out with a library card registered to your phone are e-books and e-audiobooks.

But yeah, I still use a physical wallet for the other cards I mentioned. Plus a physical credit and debit card that I still like to use. Although, I enjoy putting funds into my Starbucks account through PayPal on my phone, order my drink on there, and not have to stand in line. 

The libraries around me have barcodes on their card and a pin needed. So an app that allows you to use the barcode would not diminish the card's use. I use my wife's Starbucks e-card all the time. No need for the cash when we load it up. It is nice. 

3 hours ago, ThorThe1 said:

That’s always a concern. But there is a point where if you think that way about a lot of things, you could never trust banks with keeping track of your money, or government with your ss/card, You can’t take advantage of the benefits. 

The difference is trusting one company to handle a lot of things to poterntially fuck up vs trusting one company for each thing. The former only needs one fuckup to do a lot of damage, the latter spreads the risk out, and if someone fucks up it's not all of your shit that gets fucked at once.

Not to mention that such a single point of failure is a juicier target, so you might see more efforts to try to penetrate security of that one company compared to the the many companies of the latter case.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

5 minutes ago, Urishima said:

The difference is trusting one company to handle a lot of things to poterntially fuck up vs trusting one company for each thing. The former only needs one fuckup to do a lot of damage, the latter spreads the risk out, and if someone fucks up it's not all of your shit that gets fucked at once.

Not to mention that such a single point of failure is a juicier target, so you might see more efforts to try to penetrate security of that one company compared to the the many companies of the latter case.

That's true, but the point of the wallet is to have those cards as easy access. It doesn't or at least shouldn't give access to your account information. The cards themselves should be the only things that need to be canceled.

To be quite frank, it's absolutely stupud to use any electronic wallet when the devices that make use of them are rather piss poor on the security front compared to all alternatives.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Most of the stores in my area don't even have the chip scanners yet, so limiting myself to just the app is years in the making. 

3 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Most of the stores in my area don't even have the chip scanners yet, so limiting myself to just the app is years in the making. 

That’s one of the biggest issues that I feel like I’m going to incounter. 

Here is something about all of the main e-wallet systems. Samsung Pay appears to suppose 30 million POS systems compared to Apple’s 4million and Google’s 1.5 million. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tomsguide.com/us/mobile-wallet-guide,news-20666.html

I just download this app called Stocard on IOS. It is; so far, what I have been looking for. The only thing I'm curious about, is when you come to a store that doesn't have a scanner, can't you just ask to have the clerk type in the card number? I mean, isn't that what a magnetic strip or barcode technically does? 

31 minutes ago, ThorThe1 said:

I just download this app called Stocard on IOS. It is; so far, what I have been looking for. The only thing I'm curious about, is when you come to a store that doesn't have a scanner, can't you just ask to have the clerk type in the card number? I mean, isn't that what a magnetic strip or barcode technically does? 

Most modern Debit/POS terminals will not accept a card number directly - or if they do, they require the cashier to call into the 1-800 authorization number, which will generally mean you have to sit there for 5-10 minutes, while the guy waits on hold, then tells them the number, then you must show Government ID to verify your identity, then the 1-800 agent can manually authorize the purchase.

Soooo yeah. Talk about a pain in the ass. If I were the cashier, I would very much dislike a customer who did that.

Most pin-pads will simply say "Insert chip", or "swipe card" (depending on whether it has chip support).

A very old debit terminal may very well let a cashier manually type it in, but that's a very bad security practice.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Most modern Debit/POS terminals will not accept a card number directly - or if they do, they require the cashier to call into the 1-800 authorization number, which will generally mean you have to sit there for 5-10 minutes, while the guy waits on hold, then tells them the number, then you must show Government ID to verify your identity, then the 1-800 agent can manually authorize the purchase.

Soooo yeah. Talk about a pain in the ass. If I were the cashier, I would very much dislike a customer who did that.

Most pin-pads will simply say "Insert chip", or "swipe card" (depending on whether it has chip support).

A very old debit terminal may very well let a cashier manually type it in, but that's a very bad security practice.

Samsung Pay (according to Tom's Hardware https://www.tomsguide.com/us/mobile-wallet-guide,news-20666.html) is compatible with over ~ 30 million basic POS systems when Apple and Google Wallet are only compatible on under ~ 6 million. That's mainly because of MTS (Magnetic Secure Transmission) from what I understand. I heard that Samsung is looking to bring this to iPhone.

If anyone can answer these please do.

Are iPhones limited because the lack of hardware in the first place? or Does the iPhone already have the ability to do this?

Does Samsung have a Special chip in their phones? 

Edited by ThorThe1
Added URL, Phrasing

Just now, ThorThe1 said:

Samsung Pay (according to Tom's Hardware) is compatible with over ~ 30 million basic POS systems when Apple and Google Wallet are only compatible on under ~ 6 million. That's mainly because of MTS (Magnetic Secure Transmission) from what I understand. I heard that Samsung is looking to bring this to iPhone.

So here's some questions then:

Why didn't Apple do this in the first place?

Does the iPhone already have the ability to do this?

Does Samsung have a Special chip in their phones? 

That, I do not know.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don't use an e-wallet for payment, mostly because my bank doesn't support Apple Pay yet, they want to incorporate Samsung Pay first they say.. But stuff like my staff card can be linked into my Apple Wallet, which is awesome all I have to do now is tap my phone to the EFTPOS terminal and bam, staff discount at work when buying groceries, alcohol, petrol or misc crap. Much easier than using the STOCARD app, since it's instantaneous and doesn't have to load.

But saying that, even if I had Apple Pay, I wouldn't use it that much, I still prefer using cash or a savings transaction on my debit card, as it takes about a week for a credit transaction to show up on my account with PayPass..

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

14 hours ago, Virus__ said:

I don't use an e-wallet for payment, mostly because my bank doesn't support Apple Pay yet, they want to incorporate Samsung Pay first they say.. But stuff like my staff card can be linked into my Apple Wallet, which is awesome all I have to do now is tap my phone to the EFTPOS terminal and bam, staff discount at work when buying groceries, alcohol, petrol or misc crap. Much easier than using the STOCARD app, since it's instantaneous and doesn't have to load.

But saying that, even if I had Apple Pay, I wouldn't use it that much, I still prefer using cash or a savings transaction on my debit card, as it takes about a week for a credit transaction to show up on my account with PayPass..

I just Started to use the StoCard app to store all my cards that I don't use very often. Also for almost any card that has a barcode on it that isn't supported by an official app. Library cards, blood drive registry cards, etc. .

So far, almost everything I use is a big brand which makes it easy for me to use Apple wallet/ Apple pay. 

What I'm really jealous of is the MTS feature that the high end Samsung phones have. I would love to be able to use that!