Fighting GPU Heat

thejackalope

In theory horizontal motherboard is great. In reality though, I noticed my MSI single fan GTX 1060 6GB runs hotter horizontal. It's like a 5 degree difference. The heat pipes I think are just way less effective when the fluid has to fight gravity

1 hour ago, thejackalope said:

In theory horizontal motherboard is great. In reality though, I noticed my MSI single fan GTX 1060 6GB runs hotter horizontal. It's like a 5 degree difference. The heat pipes I think are just way less effective when the fluid has to fight gravity

not sure about that at all, have you changed cases?

like a decade ago, kiddos goofing around knocked my case over antec1200, after that just ran it on its side same with switch810,

figure I'd just go with it and got mm gold digger

56 minutes ago, pas008 said:

not sure about that at all, have you changed cases?

like a decade ago, kiddos goofing around knocked my case over antec1200, after that just ran it on its side same with switch810,

figure I'd just go with it and got mm gold digger

I can do a scientific test. The computer was no my desk horizontal and I moved it to the floor and put it upright and it got about 5 degrees cooler

31 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

I can do a scientific test. The computer was no my desk horizontal and I moved it to the floor and put it upright and it got about 5 degrees cooler

ok

sure

Horizontally mounted motherboard. 

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

ok

sure

OK I did an experiment and here are the results after 15 minutes running FFXIV looking at a water wheel in the starting town, with fan speed fixed at 2300RPM in MSI Afterburner:

Case upright / Room temperature 69.6F / GPU temp 63F

Case sideways / Room temperature 70.2F / GPU temp 67F

The difference is only 4 degrees, but my only concern is whether the different distribution of heat in the heatsink is bad. This card has an S shaped heatpipe so presumably one side of the S works normally or better, and the other side is less effective as it's fighting gravity. Does that mean the GPU die is unevenly cooled? If so, is that OK?

1 hour ago, thejackalope said:

OK I did an experiment and here are the results after 15 minutes running FFXIV looking at a water wheel in the starting town, with fan speed fixed at 2300RPM in MSI Afterburner:

Case upright / Room temperature 69.6F / GPU temp 63F

Case sideways / Room temperature 70.2F / GPU temp 67F

The difference is only 4 degrees, but my only concern is whether the different distribution of heat in the heatsink is bad. This card has an S shaped heatpipe so presumably one side of the S works normally or better, and the other side is less effective as it's fighting gravity. Does that mean the GPU die is unevenly cooled? If so, is that OK?

lol, I was being sarcastic, what about your mobo heatpipes, what about cpu heatsinks then too,

not to mention mining rigs taht have vertical/hanging gpus

its like the heat rises debate that was started with some case companies

why does vertical airflow down to up have no affect?

but you could look farther into it? most things usually are tested on test bench though

2 hours ago, pas008 said:

lol, I was being sarcastic, what about your mobo heatpipes, what about cpu heatsinks then too,

not to mention mining rigs taht have vertical/hanging gpus

its like the heat rises debate that was started with some case companies

why does vertical airflow down to up have no affect?

but you could look farther into it? most things usually are tested on test bench though

Well in my case, nothing else has heatpipes. 

There are actual studies on this topic and it seems to be generally known that heatpipe orientation matters https://www.qats.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Qpedia_Aug09_How_wicks_and_orientation_affect_a_heat_pipes_performance.pdf

If it doesn't matter, why even have the heatpipes? Can't a simple aluminum heatsink cool a GPU properly?

13 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

Well in my case, nothing else has heatpipes. 

There are actual studies on this topic and it seems to be generally known that heatpipe orientation matters https://www.qats.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Qpedia_Aug09_How_wicks_and_orientation_affect_a_heat_pipes_performance.pdf

If it doesn't matter, why even have the heatpipes? Can't a simple aluminum heatsink cool a GPU properly?

Fin orientation isn't included also

This just talks about radius 

Aren't major differences is beyond throttling of silicone?

18 hours ago, pas008 said:

Fin orientation isn't included also

This just talks about radius 

Aren't major differences is beyond throttling of silicone?

They looked at the effectiveness of heat pipes at different orientations. All of the wick types were less effective at at certain orientations