Did I fail at thermal pasting?

CbrosTheDude

I just built my first tower PC by myself and I wonder how well I did at applying thermal paste.

I have an i7 7700k with Hyper 212x (for budget). Although I do not intend to overclock for now, the CPU package gets 38°C-50°C when doing basic tasks (intenet mostly as GPU isn't here yet) and reaches 65°C sometimes. AIDA64 stress test brings it to peaks of 78°C for only one core.

The case is well ventilated/open most of the time and ambient temp under 20°C, I use Arctic MX-2 compound.

Should I redo the whole cooler instalation?

78C isnt bad, only worry when it starts getting above 85C, max safe temp is acording to Intel 100C

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Those temps look fine for a Hyper 212

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

3 minutes ago, CbrosTheDude said:

I just built my first tower PC by myself and I wonder how well I did at applying thermal paste.

I have an i7 7700k with Hyper 212x (for budget). Although I do not intend to overclock for now, the CPU package gets 38°C-50°C when doing basic tasks (intenet mostly as GPU isn't here yet) and reaches 65°C sometimes. AIDA64 stress test brings it to peaks of 78°C for only one core.

The case is well ventilated/open most of the time and ambient temp under 20°C, I use Arctic MX-2 compound.

Those temps are fine

9 minutes ago, CbrosTheDude said:

You obviously just need to go liquid nitrogen cooling?? 7700ks run pretty hot so that isn’t bad. It never hurts to check your thermal paste application but I wouldn’t worry about it. 

The i7 7700k as well as the overclockable Coffee Lake lineup run HOT. As stated by @Bananasplit_00, If you're crossing 85c, something else is going on (poor air flow, excessive voltages), etc. Even sitting in the 80s, though at max load, isn't awesome, but it isn't the end of the world and Intel rates their systems to handle up to 100c.