600 USD WoW Budget build

Hunter7263

First things first yes i realize there are not a lot of choices and yes I have done my homework but I'm trying to confirm it or possibly see things that I missed.

My buddy wants a computer that he can play very specifically WoW on now at the best he can for 600 bucks. He already has a monitor. Its a lowly 60hz 1080p. Keyboard, mouse and headset are also covered. He plans on dumping another 600-700 into this in 3-4 months but in the mean time he wants to play now. We are going into peak season at work so he doesnt want to deal with building and what not a couple of weeks from now where he might literally only have an hour a day of free time to do things. (I know builds dont take long until they do. A part is bad and has to be reshippped blah blah blah). Because of the limited time he'll have later he wants it done now instead of saving for even another 100 or so. This is 600 pretax and shipping (we presume about 10% more to cover those).

My initial thoughts are 

Ryzen 1500x - Picked over an intel i5 because he wants the option of streaming while playing

GTX 1050 - Still debating if a RX 560 would be acceptable (could find a decent word on if 2 gb is enough so if anyone knows)

8gb DDR4 - Would really like 16gb if I can but holy hell did prices jump since last I build a system

256ish gb SSD - Would like 512 if possible to avoid having to reinstall things later. Probably the budget intel ssd with high read speeds as im not worried at all about the write speeds and its seems like an acceptable middle ground

a budget of 80 for a tower (one of the harder things to justify replacing later honestly because even a video card can be resold much more easily which is why a little more early is okay)

30 bucks for a copy of windows (unless someone has a cheaper option im getting an unused copy from a relative.)

Those are the only things that are set really. Ill just go cheapest on other parts that are reputable power supply ect. Im sure i could him 50 bucks towards it if needed as an early Christmas gift but the budget is pretty set besides that.

Im more looking for feedback on things that i may have missed rather than specific builds. Maybe arguments towards one part or another or possible optional replacements. That kind of thing. Thanks in advanced.

Here's a quickie-translate put over in PCPcartpicker.

I'd recommend changing some things like this (link)

• Changed 1500x to 1600. 1600 comes with a stock cooler (that is okay) and is a better cpu. Only costs ~$10 more when including the CPU cooler
  • replaced 256 SSD with 128 SSD and 1TB HDD. You could put some games and OS on SSD and everything else on HDD.
  • Changed the 1050 to 1050TI. Costs $40 more, but doubles the vram.

If you don't want to push the budget, you could still change from 1500x to 1600 and only going with a 1TB HDD. That should get you down to about $600.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I don't think I'd want to go below a 1050 Ti for the GPU--and the price difference is not that big (about $30)

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/3649vs3650

One area I might skimp is on storage.  While having a large SSD would be convenient, it's not that hard to manage a second, larger SSD later.  I recently added a 525 gb M.2 to my system that had been running a 250 SSD.  I'm not moving anything over (other than some games), and there is no particularly big drawback to having your OS on a drive by itself.  Even a 128 gb drive would be enough for Windows 10, WoW and some basic productivity stuff.  Toss in an old mechanical drive that he might already have lying around for mass storage, or buy one used for practically nothing off craigslist.  

Ram prices are insane right now, so I feel you on the 8 gb stick.  Sucks, but yeah.  

For the motherboard, I would strongly recommend getting a B350 chipset board.  You probably wont overclock now (since you're going to be using the stock cooler it seems), but having the ability to do it later will be really great if he can put more money in later on.  The CPU and motherboard are things I would not want to cheap out on here so that you're able to basically drop all that cash on a new video card.

I would suggest a R1600 over the 1500x, or a i5 8600 non k

and i would suggest finding a used rx480/580 if you can for a decent price, or a 1060 over the 1050. alittle more money up front will make for alittle better experience later on esp streaming while gaming.

stepping up to the intel platform you could skip an ssd and go with Optane and a 1tb hard drive for a better expirience. But yes i would downgrade to a 120gb SSD and add in a 1TB hdd for games, files, etc. Ram prices suck, but i cant see that changing anytime soon so you are kind of stuck there. 

30 minutes ago, Hunter7263 said:

Ryzen 1500x - Picked over an intel i5 because he wants the option of streaming while playing

Ryzen 1600, 

31 minutes ago, Hunter7263 said:

8gb DDR4 - Would really like 16gb if I can but holy hell did prices jump since last I build a system

Get 1 x 8 gb ddr4 3000 or 3200 of good quality easy to find, then match it latter at next upgrade to get 16gb, it is always preferred to buy them in sets but you are limited

34 minutes ago, Hunter7263 said:

GTX 1050 - Still debating if a RX 560 would be acceptable (could find a decent word on if 2 gb is enough so if anyone knows)

I'm assuming you are looking at the 1050 because the next upgrade phase will be a buying a better gpu?, if not get the 1050ti

35 minutes ago, Hunter7263 said:

256ish gb SSD - Would like 512 if possible to avoid having to reinstall things later. Probably the budget intel ssd with high read speeds as im not worried at all about the write speeds and its seems like an acceptable middle ground

you could always save the ssd for later, I know its a pain to reinstall everything but it is a good area where you could save the $ now and get better latter

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($193.44 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - A320M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.78 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($143.15 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($36.89 @ Newegg) 
Total: $592.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-09 20:17 EST-0500

i would do something like this tbh, if you REALLY want an ssd i would get a ryzen 1200 instead. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

51 minutes ago, Hunter7263 said:

First things first yes i realize there are not a lot of choices and yes I have done my homework but I'm trying to confirm it or possibly see things that I missed.

My buddy wants a computer that he can play very specifically WoW on now at the best he can for 600 bucks. He already has a monitor. Its a lowly 60hz 1080p. Keyboard, mouse and headset are also covered. He plans on dumping another 600-700 into this in 3-4 months but in the mean time he wants to play now. We are going into peak season at work so he doesnt want to deal with building and what not a couple of weeks from now where he might literally only have an hour a day of free time to do things. (I know builds dont take long until they do. A part is bad and has to be reshippped blah blah blah). Because of the limited time he'll have later he wants it done now instead of saving for even another 100 or so. This is 600 pretax and shipping (we presume about 10% more to cover those).

My initial thoughts are 

a budget of 80 for a tower (one of the harder things to justify replacing later honestly because even a video card can be resold much more easily which is why a little more early is okay)

30 bucks for a copy of windows (unless someone has a cheaper option im getting an unused copy from a relative.)

Those are the only things that are set really. Ill just go cheapest on other parts that are reputable power supply ect. Im sure i could him 50 bucks towards it if needed as an early Christmas gift but the budget is pretty set besides that.

Im more looking for feedback on things that i may have missed rather than specific builds. Maybe arguments towards one part or another or possible optional replacements. That kind of thing. Thanks in advanced.

Should probably move this to New Builds and Planning.

I'd seriously consider going for an Intel i7 build and go somewhat higher end but not get a gpu or ssd and go for a lower ram amount on a single stick, he can then play for a while on the iGPU and get a good GPU when he has more money. That way he has a complete build and won't lose any money on having to resell below cost.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QpqDGf

Something like this gives him a chip that has amazing gaming performance, the threads to do pretty decent streaming while playing WoW and is basically ready to put a GTX 1080, 8 GB extra ram and a SSD in in just a few weeks.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W