Ryzen-powered QNAP NAS devices are available worldwide

Morgan MLGman

As mentioned in this post from late May:

There was a Ryzen-based QNAP device spotted at Computex 2017, since they're available now I decided to provide a bit more info about those.

Source: https://www.qnap.com/en/news/2017/world-s-first-ryzen-nas-qnap-ships-ts-x77-business-nas-powered-by-8-core-3-7-ghz-amd-ryzen-7-1700-processor-for-boosted-virtual-machine-performance?sf136897574=1

“We are very excited about our partnership with AMD to launch the world's first ‘Ryzen NAS’. Harnessing the tremendous multi-core and multi-threading performance of Ryzen processors underscores QNAP's dedication for evolving the NAS industry and allows the TS-x77 series to fuel processor-demanding business applications,” said Y.T. Lee, Vice President of QNAP, adding “The TS-x77 also provides high flexibility in expansion for network bandwidth, GPU-accelerated features and storage capacity, making it an excellent fit for businesses and professionals.”

A word from AMD:

"We are pleased to continue our relationship with QNAP in providing high-performance NAS solutions for rigid business IT environments," said Dan Bounds, Senior Director of Enterprise Products at AMD. "With its exceptional speed, performance, and low power consumption, the AMD Ryzen processors featuring ‘Zen’ core architecture presents the most-advanced AMD embedded processors to date and has the potential to be a game-changer in the high-performance SMB NAS market segment."

It seems like a good base for running VMs, although QNAP's implementation of KVM (called Virtualization Station) isn't that great - take it from a frequent user. Lots of bugs etc, VMs shutting down randomly from time to time, issues with the VM backup center are only some which I encountered so far.

More about those products:

The TS-x77 series multi-threading advantages are especially suited for virtualization - in a LoginVSI test environment the TS-1277 is capable of running up to 16 virtual machines simultaneously. The TS-x77 is virtualization-ready for VMware®, Citrix®, Microsoft® Hyper-V® and Windows Server® 2012 R2 environments with the support of iSER (iSCSI Over RDMA). It can host virtual machines and containers as an efficient all-in-one server, and supports snapshots and virtual machine backups for all-in-one virtualization management. The TS-x77 will also support the upcoming Virtual QTS that enables users to run multiple virtual QTS systems on a single NAS, to provide resources segregation (CPU, memory, networking) benefits, flexible application deployment, and savings on energy, cost and space.

TS-x77 series supports RAID 50/60 to provide greater data protection and random write performance, striking a balance between capacity, protection and performance. The latest Qtier™ 2.0 adds IO Aware capabilities for SSD tiered storage to keep a cache-like reserved space to handle burst I/O in real time, maximizing the cost-to-performance value.

There are three models with different hardware configurations, I only wonder whether QNAP finally added a dedicated, hardware RAID controller to those devices or do they still only have LVM/VJBOD management because a hardware solution is MUCH better than their current offerings. There is no dedicated RAID controller even in more enterprise-focused QNAP 24-bay, 3U solutions like the TDS-16489U...

TS-x77_PR667_en.jpg

Specifications:

• TS-1277-1700-64G: 12-bay, AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 8 cores 16 threads 3.0 GHz processor (Turbo Core 3.7 GHz), 64 GB RAM, 550W power supply
  • TS-1277-1700-16G: 12-bay, AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 8 cores 16 threads 3.0 GHz processor (Turbo Core 3.7 GHz), 16 GB RAM, 550W power supply
  • TS-1277-1600-8G: 12-bay, AMD Ryzen™ 5 1600 6 cores 12 threads 3.2 GHz processor (Turbo Core 3.6 GHz), 8 GB RAM, 550W power supply
  • TS-877-1700-16G: 8-bay, AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 8 cores 16 threads 3.0 GHz processor (Turbo Core 3.7 GHz), 16 GB RAM, 450W power supply
  • TS-877-1600-8G: 8-bay, AMD Ryzen™ 5 1600 6 cores 12 threads 3.2 GHz processor (Turbo Core 3.6 GHz), 8 GB RAM, 450W power supply
  • TS-677-1600-8G: 6-bay, AMD Ryzen™ 5 1600 6 cores 12 threads 3.2 GHz processor (Turbo Core 3.6 GHz), 8 GB RAM, 250W power supply

Tower NAS; up to 64 GB DDR4 RAM (4x 16 GB DDR4 UDIMM RAM); hot-swappable 2.5"/3.5" SATA 6Gbps hard drives or SSDs; 2x M.2 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA 6 Gb/s SSD slots; 3x PCle slots (1x PCIe 3.0 x8, 1x PCIe 3.0 x4, 1x PCIe 2.0 x4); 4x Gigabit LAN ports; 2x USB 3.1 Gen2 10Gbps ports (1x Type-A, 1x Type-C), 5x USB 3.0 ports; 2x 3.5 mm dynamic microphone jacks; 1x 3.5mm line-out jack, 2x built-in speakers

Thoughts? IMO, since QNAP devices usually had better hardware for the price than their Synology counterparts, I believe this might help the company gain more marketshare in the NAS market.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Looks very exciting.
And if Virtualization Station got better it could do a lot of more powerful tasks...
And the hardware raid card is also awesome IMO

CPU: 2x E5620 - GPU: 2x GTX660 - RAM: 64gb DDR3 ECC - Mobo: Z800 OEM - Storage:1TB WD Green - 256gb - Micron C400 250gb - 850 EVO - 512gb 850 PRO
Monitors: 3x HP ZR2440W - Keyboard: G710 MX Blue - Mouse: MX Master

Keep up the good tone and stay classyxD

Interesting, but why exactly does a nas need a 8c/16t CPU, some form of transcoding.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

Interesting, but why exactly does a nas need a 8c/16t CPU, some form of transcoding.

Plex server

Virtual machines

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

virtualization and sure, transcoding. this would make a great high quality plex device.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Plex server

Virtual machines

Ahh, makes sense!

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

virtualization and sure, transcoding. this would make a great high quality plex device.

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Well at this point it is less of a NAS then a File Server. a lot of NAS boxes now have apps then can run like Plex, Plex will use the CPU for transcoding. basically they become home servers then just the older dumb NAS boxes of the past.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, Tedny said:

Price?! 

There was another article about it, I'll try to find it but they range from about $1100 up to $3000 or so

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Oh good, al the VMs. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |