OBS/Streaming SEND HELP!!

Okay so here is my issue I'll start with hardware and break this up into section to make it easier to follow.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hardware:

AMD Threadripper 1950x @4.040 ghz

Asrock Taichi x399

Nvidia GTX 1080ti @ 2.066 ghz

single stick 16gb ddr4 2133 mhz

Samsung evo 850 250 gb

toshiba 2tb 7200rpm

seagate expansion desk HDD 5tb

____________________________________________________________________________________

Issue: So I heard the threadripper was the ultimate chip for megatasking. You can stream game and encode a video all at oonce with no issue... Well heres my issue, and maybe I have problems with obs but I game at 4k (as one would if they paid a few thousand for their computer and setup). 

So well use OW as an example streaming at 1080p 60fps bit rate of 5500 and cpu preset for x264 encoding @veryfast/faster.

With all 16 cores enabled I drop frames in game (sometimes down to 20 or less), cpu sits around 50-70% usage, but I have encoding overload! I also have this weird glitch where my game will look like it freezes (or the monitor rather) where it will freeze frame, audio will play and I still have movement control of my character. I know the character is still moving because on the stream there is no freeze frame. 

So as far as hardware, even if I go to stream at 4k I hit encorder overload, cpu is at 70% gpu is 80-90%... and frames are literally unplayablly low. I have the ryzen masters software and I tried disabling some cores and that helped with the dropped frames but made the freeze frame so much worse. 

I have heard that the logitech c290e can cause problem in obs with the encoding, I have not tried decreasing its quality.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

My Thoughts:

My immediate though is my memory speed is too slow, ddr4 2133 is too slow, I know I am not hitting 100% memory usage, it stays around 60% when streaming. I WOULD NOT BE OPPOSED TO UPDGRADING RAM BASED ON SUGGESTIONS FOR MY CONFIGURATION.

How is it possible I am dropping frames and freeze framing in game while streaming if none of my cpu cores are pinned and my gpu isnt pinned at 100% usage.

FYI: Since cpu and gpu are water cooled on push pull configs temps stay stupid low, gpu peaks at 51C after constant 100% load, and CPU never climbs out of the 40C's for my usual work loads.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

TL;DR

I have a crazy computer, insane hardware, usage both cpu and gpu are not at 100% but I am dropping frames in game along with a hardware encoding overload on x264 encoding. My initial reaction is that it is ram.

I appreciate all responses and would be okay with people personally contacting me on my cell/personal email. I can attach pictures of HWiNFO64 if needed, screenshots of obs, and maybe a link to a stream vod/youtube video to show the freeze frame not translating to the stream.

well the easiest way to fix this is to use Nivida's shadow play for game streaming. You should not be trying to stream a game at 4k.  the game may be trying to use the same cores OBS you would need to dig in deeper to find settings to change that. 

also welcome to the forum, just don't get to crazy with CAPS. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Dropped frames on a CPU only encode means it's your CPU. Honestly I think you're trying to push to hard.

Lower CPU down to medium and try playing at 1440p instead of 2160p. Playing at 4K while also streaming at 1080p would require a monster rig. Remember games and encoders prefer clock speed over core count.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

You are using single channel with very low speed RAM on TR... there's your issue.

Anyway to prioritize some applications to some cores? Like have ow run on the first 4 cores and threads? Also sorry about caps, I was emphasizing! I am fine with not streaming 4k, but what about the freezes I am experiencing that is not being translated to the stream?

14 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

well the easiest way to fix this is to use Nivida's shadow play for game streaming. You should not be trying to stream a game at 4k.  the game may be trying to use the same cores OBS you would need to dig in deeper to find settings to change that. 

also welcome to the forum, just don't get to crazy with CAPS. 

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Dropped frames on a CPU only encode means it's your CPU. Honestly I think you're trying to push to hard.

Lower CPU down to medium and try playing at 1440p instead of 2160p. Playing at 4K while also streaming at 1080p would require a monster rig. Remember games and encoders prefer clock speed over core count.

I came from a i7 7700k at a stable 5ghz that could even handle x264 encoding and 4k gaming. Is what I am trying to do just too far ahead of the times? too system intensive? Even though my hardware isnt pinned at 100% usage

Just now, guyzcool said:

I came from a i7 7700k at a stable 5ghz that could even handle x264 encoding and 4k gaming. Is what I am trying to do just too far ahead of the times? too system intensive? Even though my hardware isnt pinned at 100% usage

Well CPU encoding requires LOTS of CPU time but that said, I only just realised you're actually running TR and not Ryzen so I'm actually gonna retract my advice because your 1950x should be chewing up a stream encode like it's butter.

As a test try setting encoding to NVENC and offload it to your GPU. It'll look like shit but will allow you to see if the freezing thing happens or not. If yes then it's CPU but if not then it's something else.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Well CPU encoding requires LOTS of CPU time but that said, I only just realised you're actually running TR and not Ryzen so I'm actually gonna retract my advice because your 1950x should be chewing up a stream encode like it's butter.

As a test try setting encoding to NVENC and offload it to your GPU. It'll look like shit but will allow you to see if the freezing thing happens or not. If yes then it's CPU but if not then it's something else.

So i did have an issue when I tried OW for the first time, it felt ingame like I had a very high png, but it was 22. I restarted the system and it went away. I wonder if I have an unstable OC, I will try to stream/record without an OC. But with the temps I am at I would think I could push it further because I am at 4.04 ghz with 1.29 V

Just now, guyzcool said:

So i did have an issue when I tried OW for the first time, it felt ingame like I had a very high png, but it was 22. I restarted the system and it went away. I wonder if I have an unstable OC, I will try to stream/record without an OC. But with the temps I am at I would think I could push it further because I am at 4.04 ghz with 1.29 V

That's very possible, it's also worth noting this advice too...

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You are using single channel with very low speed RAM on TR... there's your issue.

Because again it's possible memory throughput isn't high enough to feed the CPU.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

That's very possible, it's also worth noting this advice too...

Because again it's possible memory throughput isn't high enough to feed the CPU.

Okay! Seems like we have a bit of consensus! Faster better memory it is, for now. I will order a new ram kit and see if that changes or fixes my problems