I'd love to get some help regarding my laptop issues

RightSide

So. I need a little help.

I've got a HP laptop that just broke. Andt what i suspect thats wrong is prob. gpu fan. Can it be that something fell off or broke off and broke the gpu? gpufan? Or can the problem be somewhere else.

Since when it broke. I got a message that said something about cooling (cant remember)

And everytime i boot the pc, it keeps saying "fixing". And turns off.

So i want to know - if i should open the back and look at it. And maybe try and fix it. Or should i drive it to a hardware shop that i bought it from, and have them fix it for me. And pay them alot of money.

( i do not know if they will fix it if i give them a open/ a laptop that has been opened before).

Hope you can understand what i am trying to say. ^.^

that depends, Are you confident enough to work on a laptop?

If it is a fan then you can just order one off ebay and install it yourself. its not hard if you have a tiny screw driver kit or and ifixit kit 

open the back and look and see if the fan is even spinning when you start it, then you'll have your awnser 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

1.Don't you have a warranty?

2.At the very least you should go to a hardware store and get a quote.

3.Trying to open it up and fix it yourself should be the last thing you do. I had a friend who opened up his laptop and it fixed it but about a month later it bricked. It had been an Alienware gaming laptop very nice.

Oh, btw I HIGHLY suggest you get magnetic screwdrivers for this. It's one thing if you screw falls down into a tower case, but you don't want one disappearing into the depths of your laptop.

If I were you, I would investigate as many warranty options as possible before resorting to fixing it yourself. Laptops have some tiny stuff in them, which can make them very challenging for seemingly easy repairs. 

4 minutes ago, ITheSpazI said:

that depends, Are you confident enough to work on a laptop?

If it is a fan then you can just order one off ebay and install it yourself. its not hard if you have a tiny screw driver kit or and ifixit kit 

open the back and look and see if the fan is even spinning when you start it, then you'll have your awnser 

I mean im confident. I'm using the laptop for school work only, and if it dies because i open it. I can borrow one. 

So if the fan wont spin - find one on ebay/etc. and change it? 

And if it spins, what then?

3 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

1.Don't you have a warranty?

2.At the very least you should go to a hardware store and get a quote.

3.Trying to open it up and fix it yourself should be the last thing you do. I had a friend who opened up his laptop and it fixed it but about a month later it bricked. It had been an Alienware gaming laptop very nice.

1. I did. The laptop is ~ 3,5 years old. The warranty ran out ½ a year ago.

2. In Denmark. I do not have the biggest option to go to a hardware store. Its more local pc stores that takes >50 € just to open and look. But i could try.

3. It's not the "nicest" laptop. 

EDIT: People that suggest to find warranty options. My warranty is expired. :Xx

Just now, RightSide said:

If it does spin then at least you know that the cooling is working so it shouldn't be overheating and shutting down because of heat.  90% of the time if I get a laptop that wont stay on even when plugged in or has random hard shutdowns then its is probably an issue with the motherboard. Other then some kind of power problem there is not a while lot that would make laptop do that  

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

Can you hear the fan spin?

What model is the HP. It might be a BIOS issue, not a hardware issue (I've run across this before)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

There probably isn't a dedicated GPU fan. Most laptops utilise one fan inside an enclosure for the CPU and GPU and direct the airflow out the side/back. If that fan has stopped, then it's not just your GPU that will have problems, but your CPU also. You'll probably actually find that the CPU will encounter issues before the GPU does as they generally have a lower temperature threshold.

If you're out of warranty, you could try it yourself. But if you aren't confident, then I'd recommend taking it to a shop and paying them to fix it for you. Either that, or buy a replacement laptop.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

10 minutes ago, RightSide said:

I mean im confident. I'm using the laptop for school work only, and if it dies because i open it. I can borrow one. 

1. I did. The laptop is ~ 3,5 years old. The warranty ran out ½ a year ago.

2. In Denmark. I do not have the biggest option to go to a hardware store. Its more local pc stores that takes >50 € just to open and look. But i could try.

3. It's not the "nicest" laptop. 

EDIT: People that suggest to find warranty options. My warranty is expired. :Xx

Since your warranty is out, and stores charge you even to take a look (usually I can get a free quote and only get charged if I get it fixed) then I suggest opening it up yourself. Just be very careful.

Can you hear a fan spinning when you power up?

If it's saying "fixing" it's probably that the bootloader of Windows has gotten corrupted, this can easily be fixed by making a Windows 10 install disk on another windows 10 machine with the MediaCreationTool.exe downloaded from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.  You have to be ona windows 10 device to be able to download the Media Creation Tool, otherwise you'll just get a .iso file.

Then boot the USB select your language, and in the window after that there should be a small clickable link at the bottom that says "recover".

It'll take you to a blue screen with big clickable tiles, click troubleshoot, advanced, repair windows, and it might say something about loosing some applications, you have to agree to that, then when it's finished you should be able to just reboot the laptop and go into windows 10.

P.S.

I instructed a friend on how to do this, and they got their previously non-booting system to work again, and they didn't loose any applications either :P

I'm assuming it's an HP Pavilion? And you have used it while resting it on your lap for periods of time on end i guess/assuming.

What has happened is i think it is your CPU fan if you dont press anything when it shows the cooling message then it will turn off shortly after if you press enter it should launch like normal. The CPU fan is a pain to swap out btw.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

12 hours ago, Alex Colson said:

I'm assuming it's an HP Pavilion? And you have used it while resting it on your lap for periods of time on end i guess/assuming.

What has happened is i think it is your CPU fan if you dont press anything when it shows the cooling message then it will turn off shortly after if you press enter it should launch like normal. The CPU fan is a pain to swap out btw.

It's not that  bad on the newer models, the old Sandybridge ones though, those absolutely suck.

4 hours ago, Alec M said:

It's not that  bad on the newer models, the old Sandybridge ones though, those absolutely suck.

5 year old model though if ya think about it, i have an Hp pavilion which is unavailable to use as its cpu fan is broken and shows up the same error upon launch. I use it with a laptop cooling stand but only for work and low tension related tasks. I just need to get roumd to replacing the fan.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...