WD or Seagate

Phred_2468

For me- a big consideration when buying a drive is post-sales support should something go wrong. If you're buying it from India- go with Western Digital hands down. The following is my experience with drive failures in India-

They have partnered support stores in many cities with prioritized queues for WD customers, almost completely online paperwork such that when you visit the  store you're out in minutes, and really fast, not to mention knowledgeable reps who will immediately escalate your case should they not be able to answer a question. As for Seagate- they have much fewer support stores in dingy and not as well kept locations with requiring users to physically fill out paperwork, with reps who don't natively speak English.

Edit- I guess I'll add my experience with WD in the US as well (haven't bought a Seagate drive here, so cannot comment on it)- while there are no physical service centers, WD will provide you a prepaid shipping label should anything go wrong and depending on their drive inventory- increase your RMA'd drive's storage space as well (I went from a 1TB to 2TB for free)/

PC in Profile

Just now, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

For me- a big consideration when buying a drive is post-sales support should something go wrong. If you're buying it from India- go with Western Digital hands down. The following is my experience with drive failures in India-

They have partnered support stores in many cities with prioritized queues for WD customers, almost completely online paperwork such that when you visit the  store you're out in minutes, and really fast, not to mention knowledgeable reps who will immediately escalate your case should they not be able to answer a question. As for Seagate- they have much fewer support stores in dingy and not as well kept locations with requiring users to physically fill out paperwork, with reps who don't natively speak English.

and what if im not in india?

6 minutes ago, Phred_2468 said:

Which one is better?

Seagate or WD. What series?

WD blacks are the best performing hard drives

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

It is a personal preference deal, people will come here tell their bad experiences with either.

I personally go with Seagate.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Phred_2468 said:

and what if im not in india?

Just updated it- can you specify your region, usecase, and budget though? WD and Seagate have drives spanning several prices and I doubt it'd help to talk about these brands without the inclusion of this information.

Edit- my reason for the inclusion of this information is that we can suggest the "best" drive which would easily be from their prosumer or professional lineups, but it may easily cost upwards of 2-3 times as much as something from their consumer divisions do, which would be unfeasible if you're building a basic gaming or archival machine.

PC in Profile

1 minute ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

Just updated it- can you specify your region, usecase, and budget though? WD and Seagate have drives spanning several prices and I doubt it'd help to talk about these brands without the inclusion of this information.

Processor: Intel i7-8700k (4.0 GHz, LGA 1151)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB 3200 (Black and White)

AIO: NZXT Kraken X62

Graphics Card: Asus STRIX 1080Ti

SATA SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB

Hard drive: ? 4TB

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w

Just now, StupidKidYT said:

I would go with Western Digital

which WD

-snip-

That's not what I was asking for... Can you include your

• Country (e.g.- India, USA, China, France, etc.)
  • Usecase (e.g.- Streaming, Gaming, AV recording)
  • Budget (e.g.- $100 per drive, $200 for 3 drives)

Accordingly- it'd be easier to suggest a series (if you're looking for the best of the best, go with the WD Gold).

PC in Profile

That's not what I was asking for... Can you include your

• Country (e.g.- India, USA, China, France, etc.)
  • Usecase (e.g.- Streaming, Gaming, AV recording)
  • Budget (e.g.- $100 per drive, $200 for 3 drives)

us, gaming/steaming. something reasonable

Just now, Phred_2468 said:

us, gaming/steaming. something reasonable

Define something reasonable and how much storage are you looking for. You must have some idea of how much you are willing to spend and how much space you will be requiring, right?

PC in Profile

Either one would be good. They both have terrible drives and great drives vastly outnumber them. 

You need to find the drive that fits your needs.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Define something reasonable and how much storage are you looking for. You must have some idea of how much you are willing to spend and how much space you will be requiring, right?

4tb and -$200

4tb and -$200

For WD- look into the WD4002FYYZ if you want a single, insanely reliable enterprise grade drive. These should last you for a long time while having relatively higher read/ write speeds and rock-solid reliability, while coming in at a price that's higher than what you would pay for a consumer drive.

If you're willing to go RAID 0 for improved performance, look into buying two of these- WD2003FZEX. These are from WD's consumer segment; you can enable RAID0 from your motherboard's BIOS which splits data into two halves and sends half of the data to drive A and the other half to drive B, essentially double read/write performance, although at the cost of reliability- if one drive fails, you lose all your data.

PC in Profile

I had a WD Green which failed after 5 years. Now I have a WD Black 7200 / 2 TB . I am very happy with my WD Black which has 5 years of Warranty in stead of 2 or 3 years like the WD Green.

15 minutes ago, Phred_2468 said:

Which one is better?

WD for a gaming pc/normal use

WD for a Nas drive

Seagate for data failure services .

i dont hate seagate its just there drives fail more then a yugo does . as long as Seagate doesnt own or own stock in a HDD company there drives should be fine HGST, WD ect

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

13 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

WD blacks are the best performing hard drives

they also sound like a midget with a hammer is trying to escape from your computer.

but all in all.. i wouldnt say any brand is "better", each brand has their ups and downs, and their goods and bads. i'd never recommend anyone a seagate barracuda 3TB, but i'd also never recommend anyone a WD green.

21 minutes ago, Phred_2468 said:

Which one is better?

Seagate

1 minute ago, gamerking said:

Seagate for data failure services .

i dont hate seagate its just there drives fail more then a yugo does . as long as Seagate doesnt own or own stock in a HDD company there drives should be fine HGST, WD ect

seagate in general, or just on the bad luck bandwagon on their 3TB's?  the reviews on those are honestly amusing.

i have a bunch of seagates from a rage of eras, along with some WD stuff, and a relic here and there.. so far the only "deaths" i've had is a WD green that only formats as NTFS, a DOA toshiba (stuff happens), and some relic that finally gave the ghost after 15 years.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

seagate in general, or just on the bad luck bandwagon on their 3TB's?  the reviews on those are honestly amusing.

i have a bunch of seagates from a rage of eras, along with some WD stuff, and a relic here and there.. so far the only "deaths" i've had is a WD green that only formats as NTFS, a DOA toshiba (stuff happens), and some relic that finally gave the ghost after 15 years.

my experience with seagate its like playing Russian roulette . all the Seagets ive owned if you get 2-5 years out of them your super lucky . 2 of their barracudas went boom at around a year with no warring just worked one day wont spin up the next  3.5in drives in a desktop .  at MC the workers in the DIY section told me to dont touch the 10tb ironwolfs nas's to the point they wanted corporate to stop stocking them they either are DOA or get returned within the 2 weeksish of getting them due to noise/they are showing failures   bad sectors ect already .

this is the true reason why they give out data recovery on the 10tb's, i was told seagate has little hope they will live out the warranty . ive owned from a 60gb seagate to 2tb ones 90% are not worth the metal they are made of . WD you can get a dud but its not like you turn the pc off and back on and the drive is dead then . ive had dud nas/blue/greens drives from WD also .

WD costs more for a reason they have a higher lvl of quality , this  is one time when you want quality over quantity .

if seagate could put out a drive that was cheaper and would live longer then WD i would buy it, but thats like saying amd next quarter will come out with a gpu that is a 1/4 of the price of nivida 1070 with 10x the performance latest nivida card (i know this will flag team green vs red dont flame over this comparison)

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS