PS4 Extremely Slow Connection

TacoSenpai

TLDR:  My PS4 and the PS4 alone has a slow connection making streaming content unwatchable.

Last night I tried to troubleshoot an issue I've had over the past couple of days.  I typically have used my PS4 for streaming Netflix, Funimation, Crunchyroll etc and for the past 6 months it has worked perfectly for that with hardly if any buffering and I use it over a wired connection (CAT 6).  Over the past three days doesn't matter if its Netflix, Funimation, or whatever streaming content is a near impossibility as it buffers constantly to play maybe a second or two of video.  Naturally, I wonder if something changed in my connection or if someone is leaching on my bandwidth I log into my router's gateway and checkout all of the devices connected all the MACs checkout nothing unusual to see here.  Furthermore, I go ahead and test streaming on my Roku which has a wireless connection in the other room and my PC which has a wired connection and they both perform flawlessly.  I perform speedtests on both my PC (wired) and my phone (wireless) and they both check out at 150mbps up and down. 

This is where things get funny.  I do the speedtests on PS4 which is wired and it gets a few mbps at best sometimes I might get an outlier result of 150 down and 700kbps up but it fluctuates with very low speeds of 1mbps to a couple kbps.  I tried to set the DNS settings manually on the PS4 to google's servers to no avail.  I even called up my ISP (verizon fios) and had the tech try to troubleshoot the issue where he reset my router's connection and IP and it still didn't fix the issue.  After all that all of my other devices in the place streams just fine with no speed issues. 

From all of this it leads me to believe the issue lies with something Sony did or the servers on their end though I really don't know why suddenly this would happen when for the past few months its worked perfectly and all the other devices wired and wireless have a perfectly fine connection.  I never go into my router and modify any settings in fact this was the first time i logged into it to see if anything else had been leeching off of my network.  If verizon were throttling me i assume it would effect all devices not just the PS4 alone.  I just have a standard 150mbps up and down internet plan with no data caps.

Didn't know if anyone else has been having issues so I wanted to page the forums.

Did you try with your PS4's wifi? PS4 directly connected to your modem? Connected to a different port on your router?

4 minutes ago, ono said:

Did you try with your PS4's wifi? PS4 directly connected to your modem? Connected to a different port on your router?

Tried on wifi same result,  over the wire with a direct connection to the modem same result.  Only thing to test out of those would be a different port on the back of the modem. 

I don't know about both your wifi and ethernet port both going bad at the same time, so probably a software issue. Maybe a patch recently didn't take well. I'd probably download the latest firmware online (IIRC, you have to be careful to find the full version; not a patch) on to a USB, backup your saves to USB as well if you don't do cloud backups, nuke the PS4, and start over.

1 minute ago, ono said:

I don't know about both your wifi and ethernet port both going bad at the same time, so probably a software issue. Maybe a patch recently didn't take well. I'd probably download the latest firmware online (IIRC, you have to be careful to find the full version; not a patch) on to a USB, backup your saves to USB as well if you don't do cloud backups, nuke the PS4, and start over.

I'll try that and see if it works.  Do you have a link to the latest firmware?  I too have heard that you have to be careful to find the right one.

29 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

I'll try that and see if it works.  Do you have a link to the latest firmware?  I too have heard that you have to be careful to find the right one.

It's pretty clear if you read their website, but indeed the new installation version much less prominent than the patch.

New installation instructions:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/#newinstallation

In the middle of the instructions is the link to the firmware, but here it is http://dus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/image/2017_1018/rec_8d6b9274217351daf0b3811622ed68e4/PS4UPDATE.PUP

You may want to download directly for the instructions like though in case they drop a new one. You know you got the full firmware when it is ~900 MB in size. The patch version is like ~300 MB.

1 minute ago, ono said:

It's pretty clear if you read their website, but indeed the new installation version much less prominent than the patch.

New installation instructions:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/#newinstallation

In the middle of the instructions is the link to the firmware, but here it is http://dus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/image/2017_1018/rec_8d6b9274217351daf0b3811622ed68e4/PS4UPDATE.PUP

You may want to download directly for the instructions like though in case they drop a new one. You know you got the full firmware when it is ~900 MB in size. The patch version is like ~300 MB.

Gotcha thanks alot I'll try this out when I get back home this evening and give an update.