I think I just wasted ~$2500 on a build.

[This is specific to CPUs/motherboards/memory]

Here are my specs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3

RAM: G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition, Full Tower

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W

Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive

Every time I boot, my motherboard gives the the status message ("Q-code") 46.  This essentially means it does not detect the memory.

I don't understand how this is possible because everything is compatible and the memory is built specifically for Ryzen.

I actually RMA'd my motherboard with Newegg and they gave me a new one... it it possible they just repackaged my old one and the motherboard is the problem?

I used to have potentially incompatible RAM as well and i switched it out with this kind–is there some kind of CMOS clearing sequence I should try? (Not familiar with this)

Other than those, I have no idea what could be wrong–my CPU light is green, graphics card connected, RAM placed in slots A2 and B2, latest BIOS version (via flashback)...

I always just get no POST and the LED error code that signifies I don't have RAM installed.

I really appreciate any help!

have you tried putting the ram in different slots? like A1 A2, A1 B1, etc pp. or just used one stick?

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Switch RAM slots. Try one stick.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 hours ago, tcs_penguin said:

I think I just wasted ~$2500 on a build.

Whoa there, dramatic title much?  RAM can be broken, It's not related to ryzen compatibility.  Try each stick in each slot and then if it still doesn't work get the RAM RMA'd

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

do you have another system to test the ram in.

I've actually never seen a system fail to post due to ram not being on the qvl, as long as it's good ram, I have however seen it cause instability issues.

check your ram slots closely for bent pins, aside from that, as others already stated, try 1 stick, in other slots.

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Switch RAM slots. Try one stick.

I've tried all 1 and 2-stick combinations and always get error code 46

As previously mentioned try switching the slots, trying 1 stick etc. If that dosent work then surely you can replace the ram / motherboard (notsure which one is causing the issue) and they will send out new stuff?

C

Intel

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Whoa there, dramatic title much?  RAM can be broken, It's not related to ryzen compatibility.  Try each stick in each slot and then if it still doesn't work get the RAM RMA'd

I'm reluctant to RMA the RAM because I've already done that with my motherboard and previous RAM and the chances it would solve anything are very small.  That is my last resort though.

I've tried all ram slot combinations

Just now, Cieronph said:

As previously mentioned try switching the slots, trying 1 stick etc. If that dosent work then surely you can replace the ram / motherboard (notsure which one is causing the issue) and they will send out new stuff?

I have already RMA'd my motherboard and this ram as well.  Not sure what else I can/should do.

3 hours ago, tcs_penguin said:

I'm reluctant to RMA the RAM because I've already done that with my motherboard and previous RAM and the chances it would solve anything are very small.  That is my last resort though.

I've tried all ram slot combinations

RMA the CPU then

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

RMA the CPU then

CPU light is green on my mobo and no bent pins.  Also I get the same error without the CPU installed, no POST, won't even go to BIOS.

Pics?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

The memory controller is actually on the cpu(i think), not sure what tests are done by the motherboard before that green light comes on, but it could be possible that the memory controller on the cpu is faulty.

Just now, tcs_penguin said:

Of the RAM slots.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, NeoAthlon said:

The memory controller is actually on the cpu(i think), not sure what tests are done by the motherboard before that green light comes on, but it could be possible that the memory controller on the cpu is faulty.

Thanks for the info, I bought the 1800X and the mobo in a bundle and this RAM was build for ryzen so i assumed there wouldn't be incompatibilities, but yeah maybe I should ebay the cpu as a last resort. (too late to RMA)

Just now, NeoAthlon said:

pull it out of the case and test boot on a non conductive surface.

I took full antistatic precautions when assembling, not sure how that would help.

Did you get any other errors at any point? A quick google seems there is a reasonable amount of people who have encountered similar errors (also seem to be getting 8 which is another ram related issue) in similar configs. Just seeing what solutions they came up with, but curious if any other issues.

C

Intel

Just now, Cieronph said:

Did you get any other errors at any point? A quick google seems there is a reasonable amount of people who have encountered similar errors (also seem to be getting 8 which is another ram related issue) in similar configs. Just seeing what solutions they came up with, but curious if any other issues.

Yeah I've googled it a lot; this is the only error code I've gotten and people say they only get this when no ram is installed.

before you ebay the cpu, you can get an r3 1200 for about $100, or even cheaper they have some last gen apus or athlon x4 cpus that socket into an am4 board for as little as $60 i think.

if that works you know your board and ram are good.

Just now, NeoAthlon said:

before you ebay the cpu, you can get an r3 1200 for about $100, or even cheaper they have some last gen apus or athlon x4 cpus that socket into an am4 board for as little as $60 i think.

if that works you know your board and ram are good.

good point, i might consider this if i can't resolve the issue otherwise.

being in a case introduces variables, like, a standoff in the wrong place, or a screw, or something making contact between the board and case. even a standoff that's in the right place but slightly off center.

at this point you really don't have anything to loose by trying to boot outside the case.

1 minute ago, NeoAthlon said:

at this point you really don't have anything to loose by trying to boot outside the case.

fair enough, I'll try it as a last resort.