Cooler for i7 8700 (non k)

Zeitec

I managed to snag an i7 8700. Since it's locked, and MCE doesn't work, and it's max turbo is 4.3ghz on all cores, would something like a Hyper 212 Evo keep it rock solid at 4.3ghz with reasonable temps? I was planning on an NH D15 if I had gotten an 8700k, but a $100 cooler for a locked CPU seems a bit wasteful. Any other recommendations? Preferably air cooled. Thanks for any input!!!

Update: I decided on the Cryorig H7. Under 50 and it's cooler and quieter than the 212. Thanks for the recommendations! 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

The hyper 212 is a very good choice and I think it should work just fine. Myself on the other hand, I'd probably get a small liquid cooler or something.

1 minute ago, Keppla Gaming said:

The hyper 212 is a very good choice and I think it should work just fine. Myself on the other hand, I'd probably get a small liquid cooler or something.

I was thinking about that, but any liquid cooler (even the cheaper 120mm cooler master Masterliquid Lite) is at least double the cost. I've also had 3 watercoolers fail on all (luckily never a leak) so I'm kinda sick of liqui coolers. I appreciate the advice though!

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

hyper 212 evo should be just fine, since your not overclocking or anything

The geek himself.

You'd be fine with stock, unless you are planning on running heavy rendering etc. 212 is good, but there are better ones. H7 would be 1st pick if available, Pure Rock for bit more.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Unless they've changed it over the years, I'm not the hugest fan of the Hyper 212 mounting mechanism, and the fan they use doesn't have the greatest acoustic profile (though should be fine at low rpm). Also, it's still heatpipe direct touch, which is usually a bit worse and less consistent. On the smaller chips only two of the heatpipes really go over the CPU cores, though obviously the others are still doing work. It's a fine budget pick but here I would consider others too.

I wouldn't rule out the shorter tower coolers, those with 92 mm fans, for example, given that you're not OCing. A smaller cooler also interferences less with slots, headers, etc. near the socket. Maybe the Cryorig M9i, for example. Don't spend more than like $25 on this.

People are going to tell you you'll be fine with stock but I disagree. Remember the turbo is quite big on this gen, they can run pretty hot and they fluctuate. I have the 8700K, and even with my overclocks off it ran pretty toasty and fluctuated HEAVILY. A split second of usage and temps go up 20C, I wouldn't run stock with this cooler.

I'd get one of the mid-range air coolers, something from Cryorig, the Hyper 212 or one of its variants, maybe a Be Quiet dark rock 3, something along those lines. 

You can even get a 120mm AIO if you don't like big heatsinks. Just don't run stock cooler, it'll be running loud and fast.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

2 hours ago, loculus said:

Unless they've changed it over the years, I'm not the hugest fan of the Hyper 212 mounting mechanism, and the fan they use doesn't have the greatest acoustic profile (though should be fine at low rpm). Also, it's still heatpipe direct touch, which is usually a bit worse and less consistent. On the smaller chips only two of the heatpipes really go over the CPU cores, though obviously the others are still doing work. It's a fine budget pick but here I would consider others too.

I wouldn't rule out the shorter tower coolers, those with 92 mm fans, for example, given that you're not OCing. A smaller cooler also interferences less with slots, headers, etc. near the socket. Maybe the Cryorig M9i, for example. Don't spend more than like $25 on this.

Christ, the 212 mounting system.. jesus.

I mounted one of them for my friends build and it moved side to side.. I took it off and put it back on and just ended up leaving it tightened down. It still moves side to side (only if you really force it though). What a crappy mounting system.

Main Rig

Just now, Armakar said:

People are going to tell you you'll be fine with stock but I disagree. Remember the turbo is quite big on this gen, they can run pretty hot and they fluctuate. I have the 8700K, and even with my overclocks off it ran pretty toasty and fluctuated HEAVILY. A split second of usage and temps go up 20C, I wouldn't run stock with this cooler.

I'd get one of the mid-range air coolers, something from Cryorig, the Hyper 212 or one of its variants, maybe a Be Quiet dark rock 3, something along those lines. 

You can even get a 120mm AIO if you don't like big heatsinks. Just don't run stock cooler, it'll be running loud and fast.

I bought a Cryorig H7. It looks like a decently cool, quiet option. 

1 minute ago, Zeitec said:

That's a solid choice, yeah. Cryorig make great air coolers. These mid-range aircoolers are fantastic price-performance they're unbeatable.

Main Rig

12 hours ago, Armakar said:

Christ, the 212 mounting system.. jesus.

I mounted one of them for my friends build and it moved side to side.. I took it off and put it back on and just ended up leaving it tightened down. It still moves side to side (only if you really force it though). What a crappy mounting system.

Still easier than DR3 from what I saw in SYW6.

12 hours ago, Zeitec said:

Thats solid choice.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 1 month later...
On 4.11.2017 at 12:56 AM, Zeitec said:

Hey man, sorry I restore old topic, but I need to ask - does H7 allows for you to run at 4,3ghz all cores non-stop? What case do you have and what temps do you get max on your cpu during load? I'd really appreciate if you answer!

3 hours ago, Verrm said:

Hey man, sorry I restore old topic, but I need to ask - does H7 allows for you to run at 4,3ghz all cores non-stop? What case do you have and what temps do you get max on your cpu during load? I'd really appreciate if you answer!

I replaced it with an NH D15. It worked just fine for gaming 4.3ghz all cores non stop with a max of 78 degrees. The moment I put it under stress like cibebench or prime it went to 95 degrees and throttled. My number D15 never breaks 85 even under prime 95 avx. 

I am very satisfied with my 212X, silent and keeps it to 65~68Cº max... 4.3ghz all core all day long:

Spoiler

uBWRfjr.jpg

Spoiler

NeHg2R7.png

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

11 hours ago, Zeitec said:

I replaced it with an NH D15. It worked just fine for gaming 4.3ghz all cores non stop with a max of 78 degrees. The moment I put it under stress like cibebench or prime it went to 95 degrees and throttled. My number D15 never breaks 85 even under prime 95 avx. 

11 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I am very satisfied with my 212X, silent and keeps it to 65~68Cº max... 4.3ghz all core all day long:

Reveal hidden contents

uBWRfjr.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

NeHg2R7.png

Thanks to both of you for this information. Looks like a case that makes a difference here. Since H7 and 212x tend to perform similarly and I see that Princess Cadence have nice airflow case and better temps. I cannot believe that 8700 with NH D15 goes up to 85 if you have a good airflow unless you have like 35C ambient temp. Although seeing no exhaust fan at the back of your case Cadence I think your temps might even be improved... at the expense of more noise though... Also realistically you could run at 78C when gaming no probs. You can also apply better thermal paste then stock one. How often do you buy 8700 for your PC and run workloads for long enough to push it over gaming temps?

13 hours ago, Verrm said:

I cannot believe that 8700 with NH D15 goes up to 85 if you have a good airflow unless you have like 35C ambient temp. 

That's not right. Something is either heavily restricting airflow or voltages are too high. 

@Zeitec Are you sure that MCE is turned off?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's not right. Something is either heavily restricting airflow or voltages are too high. 

@Zeitec Are you sure that MCE is turned off?

Yeah, I tuned voltages as low as possible. Anything below 1.215 volts blue screens. I reinstalled the cooler twice, and my cryorig h7 was worse. Maybe the airflow in my define r5 is bad, it's stock right now with the top hard drive cage removed with the front closed with a dust filter I clean weekly. I use a 1080sc. I'm just reporting what I'm seeing. 

Just now, Zeitec said:

Yeah, I tuned voltages as low as possible. Anything below 1.215 volts blue screens. I reinstalled the cooler twice, and my cryorig h7 was worse. Maybe the airflow in my define r5 is bad, it's stock right now with the top hard drive cage removed with the front closed with a dust filter I clean weekly. I use a 1080sc. I'm just reporting what I'm seeing. 

What case fans are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What case fans are you using?

Not sure what the model is, I'm using the 140mm ones included with the Define R5 blackout. One intake one exhaust. 

Not sure what the brand is, I'm using the 140mm ones included with the Define R5 blackout. One intake one exhaust. 

They're Fractal Design GP-14's. 

I get that you turned down voltages but have you tried just reverting to default settings and turning off MCE?

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

They're Fractal Design GP-14's. 

I get that you turned down voltages but have you tried just reverting to default settings and turning off MCE?

Yeah without tweaking the voltages climb to over 1.4 under full stress test load according to HWMonitor

Edit: I'm happy with it though. I don't do prime 95 testing often and I'm comfortable with mid 70s for gaming. 

Yeah without tweaking the voltages climb to over 1.4 under full stress test load according to HWMonitor

Are you sure that MCE is disabled? Even if you turn it off, it'll still be on if you didn't change 'Sync All Cores' to 'Auto'. Sorry if I'm getting a bit repetitive but I'm just trying to be thorough. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you sure that MCE is disabled? Even if you turn it off, it'll still be on if you didn't change 'Sync All Cores' to 'Auto'. Sorry if I'm getting a bit repetitive but I'm just trying to be thorough. 

Maybe that's it, Idk though. I'm at university and my computer is at home. I'll check this weekend.