Floatplane vs Bitwit Ultra

fordsrmaster

Does the Floatplane sub include access to Bitwit Ultra, or is access to his videos an additional $2.99 per month?

They're not associated (atleast, not yet, could be in the future?)

So access to his videos are an extra cost, paid to him.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

They're not associated (atleast, not yet, could be in the future?)

So access to his videos are an extra cost, paid to him.

They are associated now. That is why I was asking. Kyle just posted his Floatplane announcement video. 

3 minutes ago, fordsrmaster said:

Does the Floatplane sub include access to Bitwit Ultra, or is access to his videos an additional $2.99 per month?

Nope. No package deals. You pay per subscription

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

At the moment they are individual, if you want to watch Bitwit then you will purchase Bitwit, if you want to watch Linus then you purchase linus, both at $2.99 each. Which is a kind of shame as I was hoping FP was going to be like vessel where all content was included... But at the same time with FP still in AlphaBeta I would totally understand them not splitting the funds so more money for LMG to invest in FP.

1 minute ago, fordsrmaster said:

They are associated now. That is why I was asking. Kyle just posted his Floatplane announcement video. 

Hmm i'm suprirsed there hasn't been a post by LTT yet to announce this lol.

Judging from the fact its a seperate subscription for bitwit ultra, you probably have to pay the 2.99 twice.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I am not sure I am a fan of where this is going.  I was under the impression that Floatplane would be an all included service like Vessel was.   

Having to pay 3, 4, 5 whatever per channel will quickly make it prohibitively expensive.   Now if they plan to do this and add an option where everything is included then that is different. But I don't like the way this is looking right now. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

4 minutes ago, KWelz said:

I am not sure I am a fan of where this is going.  I was under the impression that Floatplane would be an all included service like Vessel was.   

Having to pay 3, 4, 5 whatever per channel will quickly make it prohibitively expensive.   Now if they plan to do this and add an option where everything is included then that is different. But I don't like the way this is looking right now. 

The all inclusive service is part of why Vessel failed.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

52 minutes ago, Lurick said:

As I understand it, Vessel didn't fail, it was bought out by Verizon and shut down. 

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Nope. No package deals. You pay per subscription

Since I see that you paid for Bitwit Ultra, I have a question for you. Where are the Bitwit videos? How do you get to them once you have paid? Is there a separate tab for Bitwit like there is for Floatplane?

11 minutes ago, fordsrmaster said:

As I understand it, Vessel didn't fail, it was bought out by Verizon and shut down. 

After making how much in profits, exactly?

1 hour ago, KWelz said:

Having to pay 3, 4, 5 whatever per channel will quickly make it prohibitively expensive. 

That depends on how much each of them charges. As far as I understood from Linus and Luke discussing Floatplane, each channel can charge whatever they want. Large subscription bases could lead to lower subscription fees, but probably not even them have figured out how this model will look like in the end.

1 hour ago, KWelz said:

Now if they plan to do this and add an option where everything is included then that is different.

Yes, it's different - it's called cable TV :P 

In my view, all-inclusive packages are really outdated in a platform so friendly to on-demand content as the internet.

In the end, there is a certain amount of money channels need to make for it to make sense to them. Bundling won't change that, and it makes things worse since it breaks the link between what you actually want to watch and the amount you pay. It just creates the illusion of "free content" included (just like flat rate plans), and scope for some cross-subsidy from casual users to heavy watchers.

At the end of the day, if you are willing to pay $5 for an all-inclusive subscription, which in practice will mean you watch N channels, then you should be willing to pay $5/N to each of them for individual subscriptions.

9 hours ago, Lurick said:

[Citation Needed]

I see this claim thrown around a lot but it seems to just be unfounded speculation.

Also, lol at all the TV comparisons getting thrown around. It just smells of damage control.

12 hours ago, fordsrmaster said:

Since I see that you paid for Bitwit Ultra, I have a question for you. Where are the Bitwit videos? How do you get to them once you have paid? Is there a separate tab for Bitwit like there is for Floatplane?

Yes, it's a separate tab from the LMG section. Similar to how "general" is separate from "Tech news"

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Floatplane is the platform /service. Bitwit and LMG are users of said service. Ultra and LMG FP are names for their respective packages. You buy each package as separate product.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Whether people prefer a la carte or all inclusive doesn't depend on economics, it depends on feelings. Maybe if there was a base price that came with a certain number of channels that you choose yourself, and then additional channels were a la carte, then both sides would be happy

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10