What to do with a home server

.Ocean

Hey guys, I recently purchased a super cheap Core 2 Quad system with 8GB of Ram and I have a decent xeon I can throw into it with the 771 LGA mod. I want to use the system as a home server (mostly to learn with) but I have no idea what I should do with it. A lot of people who I have asked have said to turn it into a pfsense box which seems really wasteful to me and not what I want to do anyway. A lot of people have said to turn it into a home file server which I also dont want to considering I already have a NAS.

Does anyone have any cool ideas of what I could do with it?

If you don't know what to do with a server, just don't use it, it just consume electricity. 

I'd use it as a NAS or Plex server, Proxy, VM etc

If you want to do more than one thing with it, turn it into a hypervisor using ESXi, XenServer, ProxMox or HyperV. You'll be able to run 2-3 VMs no problem.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 hours ago, Brian Furious said:

If you don't know what to do with a server, just don't use it, it just consume electricity. 

This ^

If you want to "learn" with it, decide what you want to learn,and go from there. 

Are you interested in Virtualization? Unix? Wintel / Domain Controller / AD? Network test labs? Programming? Web Design? Proxy/Loadbalancer? etc....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

i think the biggest learning here is that you bought the solution for a problem you don't have.

Meaning you bought a server but don't need one.

if you want to learn something about servers and networking you are better of with a raspberry pi as working with the big and loud server will get so annoying that you will stop and let it collect dust in the corner after a week.

On 11/2/2017 at 6:33 AM, Pixel5 said:

i think the biggest learning here is that you bought the solution for a problem you don't have.

Meaning you bought a server but don't need one.

if you want to learn something about servers and networking you are better of with a raspberry pi as working with the big and loud server will get so annoying that you will stop and let it collect dust in the corner after a week.

Well who needs fun little projects anyway right? Its pretty well known Raspberry Pis don't exactly have the computing power to do very much and considering the machine I purchased ran me a whole 2$ which is less than half the price of the raspberry pi zero I wouldn't be too mad if I got it and the box was empty.

As for the noise/electricity bill argument I find it pretty convenient that I have a separate room to put the computer in as well as not having to pay for the electricity because my bill is a flat rate. I would like to thank you though for coming into a thread that explicitly asked for fun ideas for a hobbyist to do with a home server just to tell me that I made a mistake by even dropping the 2$ on it.

1 hour ago, .Ocean said:

Well who needs fun little projects anyway right? Its pretty well known Raspberry Pis don't exactly have the computing power to do very much and considering the machine I purchased ran me a whole 2$ which is less than half the price of the raspberry pi zero I wouldn't be too mad if I got it and the box was empty.

As for the noise/electricity bill argument I find it pretty convenient that I have a separate room to put the computer in as well as not having to pay for the electricity because my bill is a flat rate. I would like to thank you though for coming into a thread that explicitly asked for fun ideas for a hobbyist to do with a home server just to tell me that I made a mistake by even dropping the 2$ on it.

2$ is indeed a nice price.

As Jarsky said, you have a lot of options on learning.

Are you planning on doing any nas, domain controller, plex server,...?

If you plan to run multiple os, you can already start with vmware esxi (or microsoft hyper v if you wish) to be able to install some virtual machines.

And by the way, servers can be very silent.