10gb network

lonely_sata_cable

How would you set up a 10gb network if there are no 10gb routers i know theres a way obviously being that LMG has one sooo hows it donw i know you need 10 gb nics network cableing that can handle 10 gb but what else 

I only have two PCs that need 10G to each other, so they're connected to each other via Cat 7.

Asus has a switch that has two 10G ports, but it was unnecessary for my use case.

Hmm so im running 10g from my nas to my computer. And does a switch give and ip address or what because i thought thats what the propose of a router was

2 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

I only have two PCs that need 10G to each other, so they're connected to each other via Cat 7.

Asus has a switch that has to 10G ports, but it was unnecessary for my use case.

Just now, lonely_sata_cable said:

Hmm so im running 10g from my nas to my computer. And does a switch give and ip address or what because i thought thats what the propose of a router was

No. I have the IPs set statically. You don't need a router in this case.

Oh ok so just go straight from the nas to the computer?

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

No. I have the IPs set statically. You don't need a router in this case.

2 minutes ago, lonely_sata_cable said:

Oh ok so just go straight from the nas to the computer?

In my case they're both Windows PCs. I can't say how any other setup would work, as I have not tried.

They have gigabit Ethernet cards for normal connectivity.

If you just need to link a server to one or two clients, you can just do direct connects from NIC to NIC. If you want to have the whole network 10G, you'd need a 10Gigabit switch. 

Ahh ok

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If you just need to link a server to one or two clients, you can just do direct connects from NIC to NIC. If you want to have the whole network 10G, you'd need a 10Gigabit switch. 

2 hours ago, lonely_sata_cable said:

How would you set up a 10gb network if there are no 10gb routers i know theres a way obviously being that LMG has one sooo hows it donw i know you need 10 gb nics network cableing that can handle 10 gb but what else 

Remember a router is a multi function network device. They do make 10Gig switches. Plus depending on what kind of Switch you have, like managed switches can do the work that a router does if you set it up properly. Just keep in mind this is going to be expensive, and because of that its not something an average person is going to do. 

You also need to make sure you got the NICs that can do 10 gig and I think you need cat6 A cabling to make this happen. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

This is how I have it set up for a client right now (a small time home video editor):

59f8459732833_ltt(1).png.a10f06db636d0eff2f4c21b336088885.png

Network switches with more than two 10 GbE ports (or SFP+ slots) are still a bit pricey for use in a home network.

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

You can get 2 SFP+ Nics + a LB4m switch, with 2 SFP+ cables. I have this set up and I will list its price below, but the nice thing is that you can have 10 1Gb connections hit a central NAS at 10Gb. I can get a full 10Gb to the 2 machines, and you get a extra 48 1Gbps ports.

2 SFP+ NICs ($35) eBay

LB4m Switch ($70) eBay

2 SFP+ Cables (~$20 for short DAC, $40 50' Fiber / Per cable.)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

36 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

You can get 2 SFP+ Nics + a LB4m switch, with 2 SFP+ cables. I have this set up and I will list its price below, but the nice thing is that you can have 10 1Gb connections hit a central NAS at 10Gb. I can get a full 10Gb to the 2 machines, and you get a extra 48 1Gbps ports.

2 SFP+ NICs ($35) eBay

LB4m Switch ($70) eBay

2 SFP+ Cables (~$20 for short DAC, $40 50' Fiber / Per cable.)

With reported noise levels of around 60-65 dB and power consumption figures of around 65 watts when idle... no thanks.

A Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM ($139 new) makes more sense then. It's fanless, consumes less than 20 watts of power under full load and also has two SFP+ slots.

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

1 minute ago, Just.Oblivious said:

With reported noise levels of around 60-65 dB and power consumption figures of around 65 watts when idle... no thanks.

A Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM ($139 new) makes more sense then. It's fanless, consumes less than 20 watts of power under full load and also has two SFP+ slots.

Wish someone showed me that sooner. well at least I swapped the fans out on my LB4m so its around 40dB

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

17 hours ago, Just.Oblivious said:

Does it have any L3 routing capabilities? Even just static routes?

17 hours ago, Just.Oblivious said:

17 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Wish someone showed me that sooner. well at least I swapped the fans out on my LB4m so its around 40dB

This looks better to me, if you need that many SFP+ ports

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs317_1g_16s_rm

22 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Does it have any L3 routing capabilities? Even just static routes?

SwitchOS based "Cloud Smart Switch" devices are L2 only. Only fully fledged RouterOS devices have L3 functionality.

19 minutes ago, leadeater said:

This looks better to me, if you need that many SFP+ ports

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs317_1g_16s_rm

Note that the routing performance of that switch peaks at around 3 Gbps (1.2 Gbps with a few firewall rules). It's a switch after all, not a router.

Only the higher tier "Cloud Core Router" does routing at 10 Gbps.

4 minutes ago, Just.Oblivious said:

SwitchOS based "Cloud Smart Switch" devices are L2 only. Only fully fledged RouterOS devices have L3 functionality.

Note that the routing performance of that switch peaks at around 3 Gbps (1.2 Gbps with a few firewall rules). It's a switch after all, not a router.

Only the higher tier "Cloud Core Router" does routing at 10 Gbps.

Mostly looking for a cheap SFP+ switch to use as ToR, always nice to have L3 features though even if you don't actually need them. I'll probably just get a used L3 switch with 2/4 SFP+ ports and do the complex stuff on that anyway. Really glad to see 10Gb new pricing coming down.