PC Gaming Monitor - Dell S2417DG

chiller15

Earlier this year I bought a GTX 1070 and it's been great for gaming. However, I'm using a many year old LG 1080p 60Hz monitor. I've been thinking about upgrading to a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor for a while, but prices are still pretty high. I don't need (nor can I fit) a large monitor on my desk, so I'm after a 24" monitor.

I've come across the Dell S2417DG, which is 1440p, 165Hz and has G-Sync...and I can get it at around £350. That price seems almost too good to pass up. It ticks all of my boxes. It has good reviews from what I've Googled and the company selling it also have a lot of good reviews.

I just want to be sure that I'm not missing anything and this is a good monitor for me to get.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

It is a great monitor (even if it is a TN) but expect that you will have to lower your settings in games because 1440p is quite a bit more demanding than 1080p and if you want to take advantage of the 165Hz in most games you will have to lower settings even more. 

14 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It is a great monitor (even if it is a TN) but expect that you will have to lower your settings in games because 1440p is quite a bit more demanding than 1080p and if you want to take advantage of the 165Hz in most games you will have to lower settings even more. 

Thanks for the reply. The other option would be to buy a 1080p 144Hz G-Sync monitor, but I'm likely to keep the monitor for a very long time (my current one must be about 10 years old). So it will out-last my graphics card and I'd rather not fork out for a new 1080p monitor now, and then a 1440p/4K one in a few years when I upgrade the graphics card. 

Even with reduced 1440p settings at a lower refresh rate, like 144Hz, I'm likely to see a huge improvement in gaming display over my current setup and it will hopefully last another 10 years.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.