i7 3820 temperatures, hot or not

SIMPLY MARC
Go to solution Solved by WereCat,
5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

70 C at 40% usage doesn't seem great tbh... what does it hit if you actually push it hard, like aida64?

TBH, the 70*C at 40% usage when gaming is fine as most of that is GPU dumping heat into the case.

I get about 62*C (delided and OC) when gaming at around 50% load and 75*C when running just CPU and OCCT with AVX at 100% load.

Hey guys just a quick question about the temps for my i7 3820. 

I've currently got an i7 3820 that's running at 4.4ghz at a voltage of 1.21V, at idle i get temperatures of around 40 degrees celsius and when running games it's around 70 degrees (~40% CPU usage). Ambient temperature when these temperatures were recorded was around 23 degrees celsius. 

It's in a Define R5 with three 140mm fans (2 intake, 1 exhaust) running at 100% speed and the cooler is an ARCTIC Freezer i30 that runs at 100% fan speed at all times also. Do these temperatures seem normal considering the scenario or is the CPU running a bit hot? If these temperatures are normal would replacing the current cooler with something like a Noctua NH-D15 make a significant difference in temperatures?

70 C at 40% usage doesn't seem great tbh... what does it hit if you actually push it hard, like aida64?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Running prime95 pushes temperatures to around 90° within a couple of minutes if i recall correctly and after that it starts throttling pretty hard.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It's fine. Better cooler would help for sure though.

Yeah i figured the cooler i have wouldn't do too well cooling an overclocked 130W TDP CPU. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

TBH, the 70*C at 40% usage when gaming is fine as most of that is GPU dumping heat into the case.

I get about 62*C (delided and OC) when gaming at around 50% load and 75*C when running just CPU and OCCT with AVX at 100% load.

1 minute ago, SIMPLY MARC said:

Running prime95 pushes temperatures to around 90° within a couple of minutes if i recall correctly and after that it starts throttling pretty hard.

Well, Prime95 has different kinds of load. If you are using AVX then sure, 90*C is a lot but is to be expected with this cooler.

70°C is still just fine for that CPU.

But sadly you get that temperature at 40% CPU load.

So when/if you do some rendering and video editing, temps might go higher.

I would suggest you to run HWinfo on your PC and let it run for a week to monitor max temp on CPU. If it's below 80°C you are fine.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

7 hours ago, SIMPLY MARC said:

P95 is dinosaur of stress tests. I wouldn't use it for anything newer than 2012 CPUs. Getting better cooler will drop gaming temps about 5C, maybe more.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, SIMPLY MARC said:

I wouldn't use that especially on Haswell, it pushes temps way beyond what any other test will, even other intensive synthetics.

10 hours ago, WereCat said:

At least with 75°C at 100% you know that's the most you should ever have to expect, but to hit 70 at 40%, there's a lot of room for it to go up from there.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.