Using an egpu on a dedicated laptop

So im thinking of buying the new hp spectre x360, but i do have a concern. I want the 15 inch display, but it comes with an mx150 graphics card. I was thinking about getting an egpu with a much higher graphics card. My issue is that i read somewhere you cant use an egpu on a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. So is there a way to make the laptop integrated rather than dedicated, through the bios or something? Or will there not be any issue depending on which egpu i get? I saw linus reviewing the razer core by plugging it into a razer stealth laptop which has dedicated graphics, so im kinda confused.

1 minute ago, Hokasha98 said:

So im thinking of buying the new hp spectre x360, but i do have a concern. I want the 15 inch display, but it comes with an mx150 graphics card. I was thinking about getting an egpu with a much higher graphics card. My issue is that i read somewhere you cant use an egpu on a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. So is there a way to make the laptop integrated rather than dedicated, through the bios or something? Or will there not be any issue depending on which egpu i get? I saw linus reviewing the razer core by plugging it into a razer stealth laptop which has dedicated graphics, so im kinda confused.

no an EGPU will with with a laptop with a DGPU, does the hp spectre x360 have a thunderbolt port?

Yours faithfully

I used to run an eGPU. I got sick of it after 3 months, and regretted spending money on the enclosure rather than some desktop parts. The GPU was bottlenecked due to slow link speed and my crappy laptop processor (an i7 which can run at full turbo all day without throttling.) My recommendation would be to put the money you would spend on an enclosure towards a budget desktop (or as much as I hate them, a console :o)

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

46 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

The GPU was bottlenecked due to slow link speed and my crappy laptop processor

thought so. i guess more than a GT 1030 as eGPU does not make the most sense. 

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

no an EGPU will with with a laptop with a DGPU, does the hp spectre x360 have a thunderbolt port?

Yeah it does, tb3 and usb c

The razer core, does it amp up the graphics card or does it get subsituted?

4 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

I used to run an eGPU. I got sick of it after 3 months, and regretted spending money on the enclosure rather than some desktop parts. The GPU was bottlenecked due to slow link speed and my crappy laptop processor (an i7 which can run at full turbo all day without throttling.) My recommendation would be to put the money you would spend on an enclosure towards a budget desktop (or as much as I hate them, a console :o)

Yeah, but my issue is that im an international student. So getting a thin laptop with high battery life and an egpu is more practical than a desktop pc to move from continent to continent

11 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

thought so. i guess more than a GT 1030 as eGPU does not make the most sense. 

I had a 1050ti. I would say this is the absolute max. I got 20% more performance out of it in my desktop compared to eGPU.

8 hours ago, Hokasha98 said:

The razer core, does it amp up the graphics card or does it get subsituted?

Any eGPU replaces the internal graphics (while it is connected).

8 hours ago, Hokasha98 said:

Yeah, but my issue is that im an international student. So getting a thin laptop with high battery life and an egpu is more practical than a desktop pc to move from continent to continent

I went with eGPU for somewhat similar reasons. But I would never do it again, well not till bandwidth increases and laptop processors get better. 

In your situation, I would build something along the lines of an i3/i5/ryzen3/5 mITX + gtx1060/amd equivalent into something like the S4 mini case featured on some LTT video a while ago. Your laptop processor is likely only just able to keep up with games. My brother has a spectre and only under CPU load it thermals throttles really quickly, I have never benched it though, but modern dell machines (same CPU) that don't have thermal issues get 300 in cinebench. My i7-3520m gets 270 in cinebench all day, and it is the minimum I would go for. In most games it was the limiting factor.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s