Which laptop to get for College

Go to solution Solved by TheWrithingVoid,

The Asus Zenbook Flip UX370 is a good choice for a student. It has good specs for the price (i7-7500u, 16GB Ram, 512 GB nvme ssd), as well as it supports an active stylus and has a finger print scanner, and the battery life with some proper power management and non-excessive use should last all day. Overall quality of feel is exceptional, its extremely portable with a 12" form factor and 13.3" screen. The IO is exclusively USB-Type C to allow for the form factor, but Asus was kind enough to give you a type-c to HDMI/USB-A 3.0 in the box. Overall it's really light and fairly potent, and like every other thin powerful laptop they will get warm under load, but you already have a gaming desktop, the laptop will be your portable powerhouse, and not your primary workstation. As a fellow college student, if I needed a laptop, it would without a doubt be the laptop of choice since it has better specs and a lower cost than the other 2-in-1 in it's bracket.

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201708AM220000001/A44884-ASUS+Zenbook+Flip+UX370UA-XS74T+13.3-inch+FHD%2C+Intel+Core+i7+7500U%2C+512+GB+SSD%2C16GB+DDR3%2C+Windows+10

I am going to college soon and am wondering what laptop to get. Right now im thinking about the razer blade stealth, xps x360 or dell xps 15. Im not looking to game as i allready have a dedicated gaming pc. I am mostly going to use it for internet browsing and video watching. I have gotten into music making so i may use it for that as well as autocad software. Which one should i buy as well as any other recomendations. looking for the best bang for my buck.

XPS13 or 15.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 hours ago, Mike2121 said:

I am going to college soon and am wondering what laptop to get. Right now im thinking about the razer blade stealth, xps x360 or dell xps 15. Im not looking to game as i allready have a dedicated gaming pc. I am mostly going to use it for internet browsing and video watching. I have gotten into music making so i may use it for that as well as autocad software. Which one should i buy as well as any other recomendations. looking for the best bang for my buck.

Avoid Razer laptops, quality issues

XPS 13 and XPS 15 are decent choices if you have enough budget

Best bang for buck is probably Acer Swift 3 and Asus UX330UA (updated version)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

The Asus Zenbook Flip UX370 is a good choice for a student. It has good specs for the price (i7-7500u, 16GB Ram, 512 GB nvme ssd), as well as it supports an active stylus and has a finger print scanner, and the battery life with some proper power management and non-excessive use should last all day. Overall quality of feel is exceptional, its extremely portable with a 12" form factor and 13.3" screen. The IO is exclusively USB-Type C to allow for the form factor, but Asus was kind enough to give you a type-c to HDMI/USB-A 3.0 in the box. Overall it's really light and fairly potent, and like every other thin powerful laptop they will get warm under load, but you already have a gaming desktop, the laptop will be your portable powerhouse, and not your primary workstation. As a fellow college student, if I needed a laptop, it would without a doubt be the laptop of choice since it has better specs and a lower cost than the other 2-in-1 in it's bracket.

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201708AM220000001/A44884-ASUS+Zenbook+Flip+UX370UA-XS74T+13.3-inch+FHD%2C+Intel+Core+i7+7500U%2C+512+GB+SSD%2C16GB+DDR3%2C+Windows+10

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, TheWrithingVoid said:

Hi.

What about its real battery-life? Asus claim 11.5 hours but some people claim from 4.5 to 7 hours. Mine is an office usage (light browsing, email, take notes with Word or PowerPoint).

A student doesn't need to spend more than £800 on a decent laptop. The ideal things to look for:

1) Performance - You don't need to run games but want something that can multitask well. Core i5 processor and 8GB of RAM would be enough.

2) Battery life - You probably can't guarantee you'll be able to sit near a plug socket, so you want something that has a few hours of battery life.

3) Weight - Depending on how you're travelling to and from college, you don't want a brick weighing you down. This may also determine screen size. Do you need something like a large 17" screen, adding to the weight, or would a 15" or even 13" screen do?

If you have constant access to WiFi at college - would a Chrome book be suitable?

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

13 hours ago, chiller15 said:

A student doesn't need to spend more than £800 on a decent laptop. The ideal things to look for:

1) Performance - You don't need to run games but want something that can multitask well. Core i5 processor and 8GB of RAM would be enough.

2) Battery life - You probably can't guarantee you'll be able to sit near a plug socket, so you want something that has a few hours of battery life.

3) Weight - Depending on how you're travelling to and from college, you don't want a brick weighing you down. This may also determine screen size. Do you need something like a large 17" screen, adding to the weight, or would a 15" or even 13" screen do?

If you have constant access to WiFi at college - would a Chrome book be suitable?

Price isn't really an issue im looking  at a laptop around 1 grand and am thinking of the hp spectre x360 13 in as my friend told me 15 in is too big for college.