What do you think about flip phones?

What do you think about flip phones, like ZTE Axom M with 2 screens? Seems like a trend, ZTE, Samsung, Xiaomi... maybe even Apple

I kind of miss having a flip phone. It was satisfying to close when you ended a call. 

Are you talking about side flip, book type phones? I don't really see the point in them. It looks like the flip screen would just snap off from a drop. 

I think they have a pretty niche market but for those that want them I'm sure they are the most amazing phones ever.

4 minutes ago, johnjohns111 said:

What do you think about flip phones, like ZTE Axom M with 2 screens? Seems like a trend

just noticed again that i seem to be trend resistant by default. i had to look it up to even know what you are talking about. 

what i think about it? screw the 2nd screen and gimme a tactile querty keyboard and some game controller buttons instead.

They just look incredibly fragile, also I wonder why the book style type of phone would ever take off? It just seems like it wouldn't really add any useful function to the device?

15 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I kind of miss having a flip phone. It was satisfying to close when you ended a call. 

Are you talking about side flip, book type phones? I don't really see the point in them. It looks like the flip screen would just snap off from a drop. 

That sound when you are clothing the phone -_-

Yeah about book type. 

22 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

just noticed again that i seem to be trend resistant by default. i had to look it up to even know what you are talking about. 

what i think about it? screw the 2nd screen and gimme a tactile querty keyboard and some game controller buttons instead.

Remembered me about old Nokia Ngage

19 minutes ago, Whizzp said:

They just look incredibly fragile, also I wonder why the book style type of phone would ever take off? It just seems like it wouldn't really add any useful function to the device?

I think that the main idea is to have a portable tablet, but it looks so squishy

37 minutes ago, johnjohns111 said:

Remembered me about old Nokia Ngage

wasn't all that stoked about the ngage ... what i am dreaming of is a mix between this phone:

51Je2z+fioL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

and that phone 

xperia_pro.jpg

so ... kind of like a phone sized GPD win or pyra but as a slide-to-open variant instead of the flip-to-open laptop style 

45 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

wasn't all that stoked about the ngage ... what i am dreaming of is a mix between this phone:

and that phone 

xperia_pro.jpg

so ... kind of like a phone sized GPD win or pyra but as a slide-to-open variant instead of the flip-to-open laptop style 

Looks cool. I think, that nowadays it's possible to create powerful gaming devices using this idea.It could be a trend in the future

11 minutes ago, johnjohns111 said:

Looks cool. I think, that nowadays it's possible to create powerful gaming devices using this idea.It could be a trend in the future

naaaah. if apple does not come up with it "first" then it will never take off

2 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

naaaah. if apple does not come up with it "first" then it will never take off

100% Agree with you

This new one is ok, but wrong track. I want physical keys not more screens.

I've been dreaming of a return to the LG Env Touch for years. Put a modern mobile in that chassis, with a physical keyboard & all that room for a large battery....!

On 10/20/2017 at 11:02 AM, KenjiUmino said:

Ahh, I had this phone. It was awful. Replaced it six months later with an iPhone. 

But I do not foresee flip/slide phones making a big come back. I think companies are looking for new ways to interact with phones via face/eye tracking and AI's. 

8 hours ago, chub7chub said:

Ahh, I had this phone. It was awful. Replaced it six months later with an iPhone. 

i had the other phone with the keyboard. loved it but it was not powerful enough for 2016 and all that

39 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

i had the other phone with the keyboard. loved it but it was not powerful enough for 2016 and all that

That was the same with the one that I had. It just didn't have enough power to really do what it was trying to do and the version of Android on it was very buggy. 

1 minute ago, chub7chub said:

That was the same with the one that I had. It just didn't have enough power to really do what it was trying to do and the version of Android on it was very buggy. 

exactly.

that was my 2nd and last android phone so far ... bought a dumbphone again because i had enough of these not-so-smart smartphones. i am done with android