720p on 1080p Display VS. 720p on 720p Display.

jass

M assembling a new budget PC, i have got the parts and m looking for a display.

So i ran a 720p movie in 1080p phone and in a 720p phone...it was looking better on 720p Display,may be cz of the full usage of pixels.

Will it be same with a  Monitor, cz my new budget GPU isn't capable of running latest games on 1080p on medium resolution.

So should i go phore a 720p Display or 1080p.

Thanx in Advance

(Sorry for bad English)

The 720p on 720p is generally going to be the better option, however you may like the future proofing of going with a 1080p monitor plus while on your desktop it will make that experience nicer. (Browsing etc)

I would still go for a 1080p display, because you can always upgrade the GPU, plus investing good money for a Monitor is a good idea in my opinion especially the future. 

4 minutes ago, jass said:

M assembling a new budget PC, i have got the parts and m looking for a display.

So i ran a 720p movie in 1080p phone and in a 720p phone...it was looking better on 720p Display,may be cz of the full usage of pixels.

Will it be same with a  Monitor, cz my new budget GPU isn't capable of running latest games on 1080p on medium resolution.

So should i go phore a 720p Display or 1080p.

Thanx in Advance

(Sorry for bad English)

I'd go 1080p, that way you can use the extra screen real estate for non-game stuff, and sub-1080p panels don't really have a place in the world anymore.

What's your budget, size preference, and needed input(s)?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Actually what you'd wanna do is upscale 720p to 1440p (similar to 1080p to 4k)

Yes this would be the best option as you get your good quality while also future proofing.

I would look for a 1080p, IPS or PLS display. 

Is such a big improvement over the cheap 1366 x 768 displays.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

1 minute ago, Sors said:

I would look for a 1080p, IPS or PLS display. 

Is such a big improvement over the cheap 1366 x 768 displays.

acer H231bid? i use it im not sure if thats the exact name. 

Misanthrope...Sorry but i didn't get what u r saying,can someone plz elaborate.

1 minute ago, Aidanlockett1 said:

acer H231bid? i use it im not sure if thats the exact name. 

That's a TN panel, I guess is ok, But personally I prefer the colors of the other kinds of displays.

Just now, Sors said:

That's a TN panel, I guess is ok, But personally I prefer the colors of the other kinds of displays.

mines an IPS 236Hl MY bad

Just now, Aidanlockett1 said:

mines an IPS 236Hl MY bad

Yeah that's IPS.

upscaling simply means resizing in this context. 

He says that ideally, you'd want that 1280x720 video be resized to double, because that means each pixel will use exactly 4 pixels on the new display. So you'd want a 2560x1440 resolution display for an "ideal" playback of 720p content. 

However, it wouldn't be ideal for other resolutions... for example a 1920x1080 movie would be resized by 33.33333% so the image quality may suffer a tiny bit. 

And a 2.35:1 cinema style movie which would be 1920 x 800 would be would be resized to 2560x 1060 pixels leaving big black bars around the image.

Go with a 1080p monitor, ideally with a VA or PLS or IPS panel - all of these have better color reproduction compared to cheaper TN panels.

Lower resolution movies and games will run just fine on such monitor.

- Moved to Displays -

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

upscaling simply means resizing in this context. 

He says that ideally, you'd want that 1280x720 video be resized to double, because that means each pixel will use exactly 4 pixels on the new display. So you'd want a 2560x1440 resolution display for an "ideal" playback of 720p content. 

However, it wouldn't be ideal for other resolutions... for example a 1920x1080 movie would be resized by 33.33333% so the image quality may suffer a tiny bit. 

And a 2.35:1 cinema style movie which would be 1920 x 800 would be would be resized to 2560x 1060 pixels leaving big black bars around the image.

Go with a 1080p monitor, ideally with a VA or PLS or IPS panel - all of these have better color reproduction compared to cheaper TN panels.

Lower resolution movies and games will run just fine on such monitor.

Do any monitors ACTUALLY do that kind of pixel doubling? Every monitor I've ever heard of in my entire life uses a blurry bilinear resizing, no matter the input and output resolutions

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10