Forum bug or design flaw? You decide...

I've been trying to write a post of my build using images that I want to align to the left or right of a specific paragraph using either a wrap effect or float effect, and after playing around bit in the BBCode I've concluded that images, and everything really, is aligned using text-align... wat? Here's part of the problem.

span.bbc_right, div.bbc_right, p.bbc_right {  display: block;  text-align: right;}

When altering this CSS rule, by removing text-align:right: and replacing it with float:right; and adding a clear:right; style the effect I want is achieved and I really can't see any way of getting the BBCode to do what I want it to do (Petulent, technology... I'll show you...!) But I suspect that the class (.bbc_right) is ment as a "umbrella" class for several types of content, i.e images, blocks, texts. etc. Creating general classes can be good for the network overhead, and even server processing time, but it does not excuse the lack of functionality. I mean, what is this: 1995? Can I get the wordprocessor in my web-browser to do what its supposed to do? Format the post properly so we can make them nice and shiney for general consumption? Is that to much to ask? Oy vey...!

The norm today is to have an if statement checking if the selection is a sole image (i.e no extra text, just %7Boption%7D), which decides the outcom of what class it to be added, and if it is a sole image the img container is appended span.bbc_floatright instead of span.bbc_right which has the afformention stylings and ofc span.bbc_floatleft. This would be great for content blocks as well, but requires some extra tweaking. Like adding a constant width (rather than liquid width, and perhaps height), which can be changed in the properties of a blocks in the front end of the forum). Neat!

Needless to say I've been studying the idea of web-publishing for a very long time now. I wouldn't consider my self lamen, but I'm far from an expert. But still the benifits of a properly printed page are in how practical, efficient and easy it is to read said page -- contextualizing text with images, formatting and divising fitting layouts. Some points require listing, or pointing out. Others require own segments on the side. Other times you want to align three blocks next to each other, or add a parallex effect, with three different background colors, one of them gradient, and GIFS, ALL OAVER DA PLACE~! *cough*

But jokes aside, having the ability to properly format a page and shape its layout can have major benifits within publishing... I don't even think all this needed saying. But it needed reminding... oh yes.. *pokes with stick*... fix it... fix it... *pokes*... fix it nao... I want to make my post... *poke* fix it... fiiix *poke* it... *poke*fixit*/poke*... www.fixit.com/poke... Fixit: Now with more Poke... when a bug comes along~ YOU MUST FIX IT~.....! And so on, and so forth, and further. Where is Dr Evil when you need him?

Thoroughness rating
#########

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Barely joined already found a problem (possibly)

...possibly...?

post-42110-0-82573200-1386310322.png

Thoroughness rating
#########

I don't have a lot of time to sit down and look at this as I am away however I have used the text align to centre images which is the standard convention for all web forums and it works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

@Slick @MrWizard - you want to have a closer look?

Please understand that changing or adding CSS and BBCode to allow you do float content sections is not as simple as you might think it is. This forum is equipped to handle multiple front end implementations such as tablet and mobile, and text positioning is crucial to how these devices render section blocks.

Additionally, floating content is generally bad practice as adding clears after section blocks to prevent height collapse and overflow issues isn't very elegant. I won't pass this issue off as a non-issue just yet, and I'll look into ways for you to have images on the same line as text that will work for every case, but for now this behavior is considered "working as intended"

<p><a data-ipb="nomediaparse" style="text-decoration:none;!important" href="https://twitter.com/MrWizardLTT"><span style="color:#99ccff;">@MrWizardLTT</span></a>

Ahhh smart people thread. Abort Abort!

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

I don't have a lot of time to sit down and look at this as I am away however I have used the text align to centre images which is the standard convention for all web forums and it works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

@Slick @MrWizard - you want to have a closer look?

Uh... yeah, it aligns the images to the center... text-align does that to images because they are inline blocks, meaning they will follow the paragraph formating. So... yeah, it's kinda not what we're talking about.

Please understand that changing or adding CSS and BBCode to allow you do float content sections is not as simple as you might think it is. This forum is equipped to handle multiple front end implementations such as tablet and mobile, and text positioning is crucial to how these devices render section blocks.

Additionally, floating content is generally bad practice as adding clears after section blocks to prevent height collapse and overflow issues isn't very elegant. I won't pass this issue off as a non-issue just yet, and I'll look into ways for you to have images on the same line as text that will work for every case, but for now this behavior is considered "working as intended"

Yeah, I can see that you don't want a lot of clearfixes all over the code... wuzzat...? Its already all over the code? *flips table and exits room... and comes back in* But yeah, I can see your dillemma here (without not really being sure what the problem is I can almost be certain that its a tangly bit of mess that you're left to clean up). I mean, floats can be bad and they can break layouts on multiple devices... thats why we now have @media query to seperate the use of rules and styles across various screen sizes. Is soo goooood. I had a chance to play around with and BOY! It's such a great function. My whole design just SNAPS in to place, fitting PERFECTLY on mobile, desktop, AND 4K SCREENS! *foam at the mouth and fall over* But I digress. You probably already know this. You're probably dealing with invisionBoards frontend filled with lots of code from various places, not to mention the backend, and then there are the various frameworks you need to work with... yeeeeeeeey. What is it this time? Prototype (1.7.1.0), scriptacu... script...acu -- fudge it; script.aculo.us (1.8), as well as the cloudflare script -- which I've never worked with myself, but the benifits are evident. Both Prototype and script.aculo.us are older more stable versions, which means you've chosen the "safe and sound" option, which is always good for an "enterprise" web-site :P

So yeah, this is probably something that doesn't require an emediat "fix" since you guys are most probably working on a major overhaul of the base code to remove network overhead, processor overhead and to make the site stable and usable across multiple platforms and devices (no flash - no sir), and at the afterwards you could perhaps improve on the design and experience. See that? The last thing you should do is always what I demand first... I'm an asshole like that :P

Thoroughness rating
#########