PCI NVMe adaptor in GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 with 2.0 PCI (will it work?)

bikerchris
Go to solution Solved by Droidbot,

Will it work? Yes.

Will it work as a boot drive? No..

Hey all,

This is probably a stupid question but can the above work? It's an old mobo but I have a possible spare corsair MP500 NVMe drive that I'd like to re-use. I think it'll work but so far I've seen it only be good for PCI 3.0

Cheers!

I tested an EVO in a Gigabyte X58 board. You can't use it for OS, but it works as a data drive @ around 1.5GBps.

I didn't keep in in there, was just bored and curious about how it'd work.

From what I remember, you need x79 or Z97 and above generations in order for the M.2 drive to be bootable and supported. For visibility and storage, it might work.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Ahh, that's a shame. Thank you all so much for confirming so quickly, really appreciate it. You all guessed right that I was hoping to use it as a boot drive, hey ho!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to follow up, I've plugged the NVMe drive onto the board via a PCI adaptor, and indeed it didn't want to boot. Hey ho! Cheers again Droidbot. 

1 hour ago, bikerchris said:

Just wanted to follow up, I've plugged the NVMe drive onto the board via a PCI adaptor, and indeed it didn't want to boot. Hey ho! Cheers again Droidbot. 

Yep. You need BIOS/UEFI support for NVMe. Some systems can be hacked to work with NVMe, but sandy is too old for that.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro