Audiophiles help! Turntable and Amp/Dac Compatibility

ShadowWolf810
1 hour ago, spwath said:

Long Play. Other name for a standard record.

But don't worry about what I said. 99% of CD and LP masterings are the same speed.

They should be.

Sometimes though, things get messed up, like in Billy Joel's Cold Spring Harbor

Oh I see, ok I'll keep that in mind. Welp, I just got back from the record store, they weren't really all that much help, but thought I'd look for my favorite song and apparently it's going to be super hard to find because of course :P 

3 hours ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

Got it, I think if I end up getting a turntable, then using it more than like 10 times in a month I won't have a problem getting the SYS for the convenience, I'm just not sure how into it I'll get if that makes sense. 

Ok glad to know that the speakers I already have will work. 

What do you think about my choice of Magni 3 and Modi 2 Uber for headphone amp/dac? Any others you'd recommend over those in that price range? 

Because in the event that I did get really into this, then maybe it would be a better option to go like, Modi 2 Uber into a Jotunheim with the phono pre amp. That would then give me the flexibility to upgrade to a better set of speakers that used XLR inputs. Would save money in the long run, and you're talking about like ~$450 for your config, 600ish for the one I just said, all up from the $250+$50 for the turntable of the original one I was thinking I could do... 

While it's true that overall it would cost more to get each individual component, it also means that you're going to be able to switch out individual components as you like. 

Also, the Jotunheim (which I own) doesn't turn off the preamp in the back, which the magni 3 (assuming it's the same as the magni 2) will. That means that if you're listening on your speakers with the Jody, you're going to be SOL if you need to switch to headphones, unless you unplug the cables to your speakers from the back of your Jody. It can be a real pain in the ass. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

On 10/18/2017 at 6:27 PM, KaminKevCrew said:

While it's true that overall it would cost more to get each individual component, it also means that you're going to be able to switch out individual components as you like. 

Also, the Jotunheim (which I own) doesn't turn off the preamp in the back, which the magni 3 (assuming it's the same as the magni 2) will. That means that if you're listening on your speakers with the Jody, you're going to be SOL if you need to switch to headphones, unless you unplug the cables to your speakers from the back of your Jody. It can be a real pain in the ass. 

I'm not sure I understand exactly why that would be... if the switch on the front cycles between XLR RCA and the DAC how come you'd have to unplug your speakers? Also wouldn't it be easier to just turn the power switch off on your speakers when you want to use headphones, then unplug the headphones from the front of it when you wanted speakers? I guess it depends on which you find yourself listening to more often

On 10/19/2017 at 7:45 PM, ShadowWolf810 said:

I'm not sure I understand exactly why that would be... if the switch on the front cycles between XLR RCA and the DAC how come you'd have to unplug your speakers? Also wouldn't it be easier to just turn the power switch off on your speakers when you want to use headphones, then unplug the headphones from the front of it when you wanted speakers? I guess it depends on which you find yourself listening to more often

The switch cycles between inputs, not outputs. The XLR out, RCA out and headphone out are always outputting, no matter what. Yes, you could turn off your speakers, but if you have, for instance, powered studio monitors in a tight bookshelf, you'll literally have to pull each one off the shelf and turn them off then put them back. Less of an issue in your case, but with that particular use case, it's an issue. 

It's not really an issue when going from headphones to speakers, just when you need to go to speakers.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)