Oil Cooled PC Case

Desertpunk

Hey everyone, 

I've been wanting to build and oil PC for a while now but Puget Systems have stopped selling the kit that they used to sell does anyone know of a good quality alternative? 

For a case? Just use a fishtank and dunk it in. xD

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

@Crunchy Dragon they used one of the last puget cases ever produced. Even with that case though they ended up with leaks, leading to the computer being scrapped.. Honestly an really nice hard line water cooled build would be the better option, maybe go crazy and get glass tubes made. 

Just now, IKnight said:

it's not really the "case" i need but a way to mount the motherboard, and everything else into it 

2 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Luke could back this up, we all know how much he loves fishtank cases lol

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

@Crunchy Dragon they used one of the last puget cases ever produced. Even with that case though they ended up with leaks, leading to the computer being scrapped.. Honestly an really nice hard line water cooled build would be the better option, maybe go crazy and get glass tubes made. 

i already have a hardline system but ive been wanting a oil system for ages now ahah

2 minutes ago, Desertpunk said:

That was the Puget Systems one sadly 

The last one at this point unless someone wants to deal with patent laws. The only option as of current would be to design and create your own acrylic tank or get a general fish tank and fabricate the components you need to house the system.

ah, I see, looking for that next computer high! Is it safe to assume that after oil cooled you will be going to phase change?!? 

2 minutes ago, Desertpunk said:

it's not really the "case" i need but a way to mount the motherboard, and everything else into it 

Mount the mobo using the backplate off of an old case. 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Luke could back this up, we all know how much he loves fishtank cases lol

@Slickapprove? :P

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

@Desertpunk think the first tank is your best idea, I'd grab a cheapy case from a scrapyard and tear it apart and use that to hold everything inside the case and you can hide any "feet support" under the fish rocks on the bottom. Also the cool thing of having a fish tank as a case and peoples reacttions to it. good part it you already have the water cooling parts so shouldn't be a problem. 

Edit: 

now you got me thinking about my PC into a Oil cooeld one.. thanks 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

ah, I see, looking for that next computer high! Is it safe to assume that after oil cooled you will be going to phase change?!? 

funny story i did that a couple years ago for shit and giggles ahah then my ex-girlfriend got angry and killed it (it still makes me sad sometimes)

8 hours ago, Desertpunk said:

Hey everyone, 

I've been wanting to build and oil PC for a while now but Puget Systems have stopped selling the kit that they used to sell does anyone know of a good quality alternative? 

My suggestion is look for a fish tank.  Measure your Mother board height to make sure it will fit.  Then go and pick up a piece of acrylic and mount your board to that.  Then slide it into the tank.  You can make your own motherboard tray with the acrylic to mount and secure it so it won't tip.  I've been working on building a custom acrylic case for my wifes class room so she can make the other teachers jealous of her set up.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Fish tanks can be thin, the oil can creep through it.

It will be fine for a while but if you want a long lasting tank you should try to get it fabricated at a plastic shop

Does anyone have some measurements for the pieces id need as its a bit of an odd request to ask for at a plastic fabricator  

Edited by Desertpunk

Damn, this thread made me sad. I've been wanting to build tank system for a while, but now, when the family is starting to balance out and things aren't so crazy, I find Puget isn't doing this anymore, and then I learn they sent some cases to this place, and join up to find out they don't have them any more. :/

36 minutes ago, Cato Novus said:

Damn, this thread made me sad. I've been wanting to build tank system for a while, but now, when the family is starting to balance out and things aren't so crazy, I find Puget isn't doing this anymore, and then I learn they sent some cases to this place, and join up to find out they don't have them any more. :/

Here are some details you will need for a standard layout. 

http://www.10stripe.com/featured/form/atx.php

http://www.protocase.com/resources/how-to-design-for-motherboards/

15 hours ago, Number Muncher said:

Now that they have a 3D printer, maybe @Slick could do a custom oil build video and make the blueprints public.

If they ended up doing that, it'd make soo many people happy, if this thread is anything to go off. aha

I did one of these years ago (years before LTT/Slick) since Puget is close. 

It's cool for a minute but really not worth it for more than a week or two.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide