[Solved] Xubuntu Doesn't Want to Install in Non-UEFI Mode

Go to solution Solved by PlayStation 2,

Looks like Rufus did the trick, although I probably should've tried the USB mode rather than UEFI mode once I got the files on it.

I'm not here to hear about something related to other distributions (unless it actually helps here), I just need some help on figuring out why I can't install Xubuntu on my desktop in non-UEFI mode.

To be clear, I have the installation files on a flash drive, and when I try to boot in "USB" mode on my desktop, it doesn't do anything, going straight to Windows. However, it will launch the Xubuntu installer in "UEFI" mode. I'm a little lost as to why it doesn't want to boot in USB mode. Why I'm asking that is because Windows didn't want to install in UEFI mode, so I'm kinda fucked into doing it another way.

I can try being clearer on what you'd need if it helps.

Edited by Dan Castellaneta
Issues have been sorted.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Have you tried making sure the flash drive is above your hard drive in the boot priorities?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If it's wanting to install with UEFI over legacy BIOS, you should see if it will install correctly. Back up your Windows install prior though.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If it's wanting to install with UEFI over legacy BIOS, you should see if it will install correctly. Back up your Windows install prior though.

It throws up an error some way into the installation, if that's what you're wondering.

6 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Have you tried making sure the flash drive is above your hard drive in the boot priorities?

Will give it a go.

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It throws up an error some way into the installation, if that's what you're wondering.

Will give it a go.

Hmm. What  did you use to write the ISO on your flashdrive? Its formatted as FAT32? If you are using EFI is Secureboot disabled? If not disabled, have you manually added an efi boot key from the EFI shell?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

12 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Hmm. What  did you use to write the ISO on your flashdrive? Its formatted as FAT32? If you are using EFI is Secureboot disabled? If not disabled, have you manually added an efi boot key from the EFI shell?

I just kinda dumped the ISO contents onto the flash drive. If trying to write the ISO onto it more properly would help, then I’ll do that. It is also formatted as FAT32. 

I did disable Secure Boot, and I’m assuming I am using EFI. 

Nope, thats not how bootable flashdrives work! Use a utility like Rufus:  rufus.akeo.ie/

Most Linus ISOs need to copied on a flashdrive in a particular way.

EDIT:  would recommend EFI install, make sure you set Rufus to partition as FAT32 and specify EFI boot up.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Just now, ionbasa said:

Nope, thats not how bootable flashdrives work! Use a utility like Rufus:  rufus.akeo.ie/

I prefer using a utility called Pendrive Linux. Dont remember if I've ever used rufus but I had heard some mixed stories about rufus. I think in some official Ubuntu guide they mentioned Pendrive Linux.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

EDIT:  would recommend EFI install, make sure you set Rufus to partition as FAT32 and specify EFI boot up.

Lemme get back into Windows. 

Used to installing using DVDs. Don’t ask. 

Just now, wcreek said:

I prefer using a utility called Pendrive Linux. Dont remember if I've ever used rufus but I had heard some mixed stories about rufus. I think in some official Ubuntu guide they mentioned Pendrive Linux.

Never had an issue with Rufus, works on everything from client versions of Windows, Windows server, and every Linux distro  I've used to create USB based installation media (mostly Ubuntu, some red hat).

I am surprised that you manage to get to installation. 

As people said use Rufus to make a bootable USB stick, cause what u did was just copied a file there

Just like DVD you dont copy it, you burn iso to it

rip