Looking to upgrade my S5 Mini for Christmas

YuriNator557
Go to solution Solved by YuriNator557,

I've decided to go with the Moto G5S Plus

Thanks guys!

Going to pitch some ideas to my father.

I need:

• Headphone jack (this is necessary, I use music to calm myself down when I feel overwhelmed)
  • Good battery life (If my computer is at my father's, I'm almost always on my phone)
  • More than 16GB storage (Not necessary, although I've found that for what I use my phone for, 16GB is only just enough)
  • Availability in the UK
  • Works with the 3 network
  • Micro-SIM support
  • Isn't an iPhone (I doubt I can even get one anyway, my father is against them and so am I)
  • 1080p display or higher (not necessary, although preferred)
  • Decent camera (I don't really care all that much about the camera, I don't usually take pictures)
  • Water resistance (again, preferred but not necessary)
  • Micro-USB interface (Side note: can I get the pros/cons of USB-C? I don't understand it all too well)
  • Support for Android 6 or higher
  • £300 at most

inb4 'the s5 mini is fine for what you need'

i7-12700k | MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 | 2x16GB Team Group DDR4-3200CL14 | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | EVGA FTW3 2070 SUPER | 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM | Fractal Design Meshify C

14 minutes ago, idiot42 said:

A screen that's larger than the 16:9 aspect ratio or bust. Galaxy S8/+, Pixel 2+, iPhone X, Essential Phone.

18 minutes ago, idiot42 said:

I need:

• Headphone jack (this is necessary, I use music to calm myself down when I feel overwhelmed)
  • Good battery life (If my computer is at my father's, I'm almost always on my phone)
  • More than 16GB storage (Not necessary, although I've found that for what I use my phone for, 16GB is only just enough)
  • Availability in the UK
  • Micro-SIM support
  • Isn't an iPhone (I doubt I can even get one anyway, my father is against them and so am I)
  • Decent camera (I don't really care all that much about the camera, I don't usually take pictures)
  • Micro-USB interface (Side note: can I get the pros/cons of USB-C? I don't understand it all too well)
  • £300 at most

try the moto g5s or moto z play 

11 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

THATS ANCIENT TECHNOLOGY! We future folks! Anyways Galaxy S8 #1!

Yes I am biased.

10 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

try the moto g5s or moto z play 

+1

Moto G5s is really good

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

@idiot42 I recently bought a refurbished s6, it's been a pleasing experience so far, and it seems to check your boxes. You should be able to get one starting at around £200-ish. The 1440p oled display is gorgeous (if you don't care too much about colour accuracy), everything still feels snappy with android 7.0, the fingerprint scanner is lightning-fast, the build quality is top notch. As for the camera, well, I guess it is as good as it gets at this pricepoint with any phone, new or refurbished. I've shot two 4k build logs with this phone on a tripod, and the footage was so clean I was able to use mere screencaps as written build log illustrations. Maybe I'm a bit biased since I had been using a broken xperia t3 for a while before switching to this, but I really can't find anything to complain about. The only two concerns would be battery life (I usually have 30 to 40% left in the evening, but I'm not a heavy user when it comes to phones) and water resistance (no certification, but it has been shown to withstand prolonged immersion about as well as the iPhone 6).

Austin Evans made a video recently, discussing whether the best 100$ phone in 2017 was the s4 from 2014, and as you would expect, it still had a lot of thing going for it. If you're willing to buy a refurbished device, I think buying an older flagship is a good option. I would have recommended the s7, but I don't think it can be found for less than £300. Hope that helped.

16 hours ago, idiot42 said:

I need:

• Availability in the UK
  • Micro-SIM support
  • £300 at most

I would be tempted by the Moto G5 Plus, since it covers the bases and comes with a much cleaner version of Android than Samsung's.

As a heads-up: remember, virtually every phone that doesn't have a built-in headphone jack has an adapter in the box.  Just leave it attached to your favorite set of headphones and you'll be fine.  Also, don't insist on micro-SIM, since nano-SIM is used in virtually all modern phones... that and it's easy to get a nano-SIM if you're still using the older card format.

Also, as a side note: how many people here just completely glossed over your criteria and suggested phones that cost two or three times as much?  Like huilun02 said, it's more like they're projecting their own tastes on to you instead of paying attention.   Maybe we should institute a policy where those who suggest a device that's far out of budget should be obligated to pay the difference!

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

Also, don't insist on micro-SIM, since nano-SIM is used in virtually all modern phones

Well, I currently use micro-SIM so I kinda need it

Unless I can request a nano-SIM from 3 that is...

i7-12700k | MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 | 2x16GB Team Group DDR4-3200CL14 | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | EVGA FTW3 2070 SUPER | 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM | Fractal Design Meshify C

I've decided to go with the Moto G5S Plus

Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, idiot42 said:

Well, I currently use micro-SIM so I kinda need it

Unless I can request a nano-SIM from 3 that is...

You very likely can.  Just have to make sure they switch your number to it.  Not sure if 3 will charge you for that, but it should only be to cover the cost of the card if so (and that's really a small amount).

10 minutes ago, Commodus said:

You very likely can.  Just have to make sure they switch your number to it.  Not sure if 3 will charge you for that, but it should only be to cover the cost of the card if so (and that's really a small amount).

T-Mobile charged me $25 for a bloody sim card when I needed to get a Nano sized one...

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

T-Mobile charged me $25 for a bloody sim card when I needed to get a Nano sized one...

Oof.  Well, I've been charged $10 and even got one for free from Apple, so there's a certain arbitrary nature to the price.  Still, not much point to holding on to a micro-SIM if it's not going to work in your next phone (not without cutting it down, anyway).

I would get a Xiaomi Mi5 or Mi5s plus which I own it myself.

You can get them cheap with the same specs as "high end" western phones.

If you need a trustful shop use gearbest or honorbuy.

On 10/15/2017 at 7:56 PM, Commodus said:

Oof.  Well, I've been charged $10 and even got one for free from Apple, so there's a certain arbitrary nature to the price.  Still, not much point to holding on to a micro-SIM if it's not going to work in your next phone (not without cutting it down, anyway).

Free and apple don't go in the same sentence xD