Windows won't work

RGProductions
Go to solution Solved by RGProductions,

Alright, it's fixed. Deleted all ASUS files, and ddu and reinstall GPU drivers fixed it.

I just put my hdd and ssd into the old PC, and windows refuses to boot, however safe mode works. What should I do to troubleshoot this?

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

13 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

I just put my hdd and ssd into the old PC, and windows refuses to boot, however safe mode works. What should I do to troubleshoot this?

You put storage devices from one PC to another?

Well there's your problem. All of the drivers and other system software to support the original hardware is going to cause the OS to freak out on different hardware.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You put storage devices from one PC to another?

Well there's your problem. All of the drivers and other system software to support the original hardware is going to cause the OS to freak out on different hardware.

yeah, but it works in safe mode so I have hope. The specific stopcode is ASio.sys, which seems to be from an asus product.

I'd venture to guess that it's going to be driver related. Try downloading all of the drivers for the system you dropped the hard drives in, install them all under safe mode, then see where you're at. 

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

yeah, but it works in safe mode so I have hope. The specific stopcode is ASio.sys, which seems to be from an asus product.

Safe mode loads generic drivers to just get the OS running.

If you are troubleshooting for another computer, it's better to put the drives back in that computer and troubleshoot from there. If you're trying to use the storage drives for a new computer, it's better to reinstall Windows. Or just do a massive wipe of all installed drivers and programs and hope for the best.

2 minutes ago, AdmnPower said:

I'd venture to guess that it's going to be driver related. Try downloading all of the drivers for the system you dropped the hard drives in, install them all under safe mode, then see where you're at. 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Safe mode loads generic drivers to just get the OS running.

If you are troubleshooting for another computer, it's better to put the drives back in that computer and troubleshoot from there. If you're trying to use the storage drives for a new computer, it's better to reinstall Windows. Or just do a massive wipe of all installed drivers and programs and hope for the best.

It is now in not safe mode. Deleting the asus file in program files and cleaning the registry allowed me to boot, but it's still not perfect. My main PC broke, so I'm using an old sandy bridge PC for the next few weeks, and I dont want to have to go and reinstall everything.

Alright, it's fixed. Deleted all ASUS files, and ddu and reinstall GPU drivers fixed it.